• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa/usairs Arbitration In !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Life isn’t fair. Nothing stays the same.

You are in the airline industry; your lot in life will change. It isn’t Mother Delta, American, Northwest, United, US Air or America West that it once was. This is a business. Businesses exist to make a profit. When they can’t make a profit, they seek a new model. We are labor and we are expendable. If you don’t like this, then quit and find another occupation. Don’t want to quit: then work to improve the system for your fellow man as best you can.

Figure out where you are in life as a responsible adult. Everyone needs a plan B. If you have all your eggs in one basket, you are nuts. ALPA (or your MEC) does not exist to hold your hand. ALPA exists to take care of ALPA which works to take care of the masses as best it can. Unions are run by the top 20% of pilots at every airline. These top 20% want to take care of themselves first and you second. That isn’t a bad thing; it is a seniority based system. If you are in the bottom 1/4 at any airline you are hoping and praying to move up to the top 1/4 so you can have other guys fly the crap you don’t want. We are just as professional as doctors and lawyers, we eat our young. The young hope to survive for better days tomorrow. As a baby boomer, one of things we keep saying about Gen X, Y, Z, is that they “whine” when life doesn’t go there way, it is always someone else’s fault. A responsible adult accepts that you make a plan, …and if it doesn’t work out, you find a new plan. But don’t “whine” about how the system screwed you. Stand up and be a Man and take responsibility for the road you traveled in life. Your life will fork left and right and you need to be ready to change – don’t blame the speed bumps on somebody else. But nobody has a right to forecast what might have been in the airline world. Here today and gone tomorrow.

The thing that burns the AWA guys the most is the strong sense of “entitlement” exhibited by the East guys. We were at our airline, jumping through the same hoops, and just trying to keep our career going. Then the merger comes along. Again, 9 out of 10 AWA pilots wish it never happened, but it is here, and the arbitration award is out. The US Air MEC negotiated the best they could, had numerous opportunities to mediate, but hung the hat on DOH. DOH was not used by the arbitrator. It isn’t our group’s fault.

What next? Cry over spilt milk, burn the house down, ridiculous. How about, we cinch up our belt and work to get the best contract possible and try to become the best airline in the industry. If you are still furloughed, we will work to get your back as soon as possible. Don’t want to come back, that is your choice. There are thousands of other pilots waiting for a chance to work at the New US Airways. There is always a new pilot that wants your job. So as an AWA pilot, I’ll see you in the picket line in PHX on May 8/24, in PHL on May 15/25, in CLT on May 21, in LAX on May 22, in DCA on May 23, or in LAS on May 26th, to do our part in making it better for ourselves and the guys following behind us. If you don’t want to come, ok, but I’ll be in one of the lines trying to get the East pilots to our contract/work rules as quick as possible and to give every furloughee a chance to get back to work as soon as possible. The rest is up to you.

I would like to hear from a west pilot how they think the following is fair. I will not use names, but if you look at the award, you can see them. To identify the pilots, I will use the "new" seniority number.

Pilot #4768 was the junior active pilot from the East. He was hired 7/18/1988. The pilot right below him is the only West pilot junior to him (Save Dave). And of course all the pilots that were furloughed are below both of them.

Pilot #4768 has almost 19 years of active service. He was NEVER furloughed. Flew the line the entire time. Now lets look at the first West pilot now senior to him. That would be pilot #4765, with a hire date of 4/4/2005. When the merger was announced, this pilot had 2 MONTHS of service. Why shoud he go above a 19 YEAR pilot that was never furloughed?

I would like to hear from a west pilot how they think the following is fair. I will not use names, but if you look at the award, you can see them. To identify the pilots, I will use the "new" seniority number.

Pilot #4768 was the junior active pilot from the East. He was hired 7/18/1988. The pilot right below him is the only West pilot junior to him (Save Dave). And of course all the pilots that were furloughed are below both of them.

Pilot #4768 has almost 19 years of active service. He was NEVER furloughed. Flew the line the entire time. Now lets look at the first West pilot now senior to him. That would be pilot #4765, with a hire date of 4/4/2005. When the merger was announced, this pilot had 2 MONTHS of service. Why shoud he go above a 19 YEAR pilot that was never furloughed?

Because even though that pilot had 19 years of service he was still number two from the bottom of the list. Length of service does not matter according to alpoa merger policy. Now can we move on and get a good contract!

I will not get involved in debating what is fair or not fair. The simple fact is the ALPA merger policy does not have DOH in it. This award went based on your pre merger relative seniority. I have always stated I will accept what the arbitrator awards. It all depends your perspective, but I can assure both sides that the final solution will not be determined on this forum. Yes I can understand the East frustration being the award came in nothing like the DOH that was being promoted by their merger committee. The award was not a big surprise out west. Relative pre merger seniority was the basis of the merger committee. I can assure you if it came back date of hire the west would be mad.
The biggest battle is with the company, but it appears all this east west infighting is causing use to loose sight of the real enemy.

You are an idiot. Enjoy the soup kitchen line. The difference from west to east is that we are a TEAM (and profitable before saving your a$$). I see that in PHL every time I fly into there. Your ridiculous operation embarrasses me and our airline you moron. Did I mention that you are an idiot? Our proposal was fair, your's was insane. The arbitrator had to rule for one or another.

Man, that is one tough navy dude!

I'd respond, but Carb Heat hurt my feelings earlier. I'm still licking my wounds.

But it is ok for "Save Dave" to be the VERY LAST pilot on the West list, but now has 1,750 pilots below him?

why don't we add all the pilots that work at any airways express carrier to that # because they have the same effect on his bidding position / job security which is jack sh_t. 1,750 people on furlough below him are of less value to him than the couple of pages of paper their names appear on - at least he can burn the paper for warmth.

But it is ok for "Save Dave" to be the VERY LAST pilot on the West list, but now has 1,750 pilots below him?

How does he have 1750 pilots behind him? They are furloughed and provide no benefit to him. They brought nothing to the table. How hard is that to understand. I feel bad that usairways was doing so poorly but the fact of the matter is furloughed means no job, Active, as dave odell was, means he has something to offer. An actual seat as a 737 fo. These 1750 pilots mean nothing until they return.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back