• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA/USAir seniority integration??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys need to resort to pm ing eachother. Your war has gotten old!
MickeySlapnutz said:
"The new management team at TWA has done an exceptional job positioning the airline for long-term growth," said Robert Wolfe, president of Pratt & Whitney's Large Commercial Engine unit.

"We're encouraged by TWA's financial restructuring and improved financial performance," said Ron Woodard, president of Boeing Commercial Airplane Group

ILFC President and Chief Executive Officer Steven F. Udvar- Hazy said, "TWA's decision to lease 10 new Boeing 757s from ILFC and to enter into a commitment with Boeing for additional 757s is a reflection of the dynamic and positive growth of the airline."

You sound like these guys......

MickeySlap -

You strike me as a similar sort to the infamous C#!& Mu**, a U pilot who spends most of his life championing causes on the Internet by quoting newspapers and their ever-accurate reports on airline matters.

Without any doubt whatsoever, US Airways' current situation relative to its proposed merger partner is far stronger, on all fronts, than TWA's was in 2001.

Newspapers are in the business of selling newspapers. Quoting them in part on the Internet is becoming such an old, tired game used to mislead and flame.

What's your problem with seeing a fair integration here? Are AWA's current career expectations that great as a stand alone airline that you think a stapler is needed? Whatever your strong need is here, I feel sorry for you; you're grasping at straws trying to compare US Airways to TWA. You'll see, but in the meantime, enjoy your life in CyberSpace; it must be very rewarding for you.

BeCareful! said:
MickeySlap -

You strike me as a similar sort to the infamous C#!& Mu**, a U pilot who spends most of his life championing causes on the Internet by quoting newspapers and their ever-accurate reports on airline matters.

Without any doubt whatsoever, US Airways' current situation relative to its proposed merger partner is far stronger, on all fronts, than TWA's was in 2001.

Newspapers are in the business of selling newspapers. Quoting them in part on the Internet is becoming such an old, tired game used to mislead and flame.

What's your problem with seeing a fair integration here? Are AWA's current career expectations that great as a stand alone airline that you think a stapler is needed? Whatever your strong need is here, I feel sorry for you; you're grasping at straws trying to compare US Airways to TWA. You'll see, but in the meantime, enjoy your life in CyberSpace; it must be very rewarding for you.

BC,

You may not like what Mickey is stating but it does have some rings of truth to it. These terms that keep getting tossed around like fair, career expectation and my personal favorite windfall. What is fair?? No one really knows!! Is it fair to the person who chose to come to AWA and make a career as opposed to AAA and now lose huge chunks of their seniority to save another??? While a very nobel thought, most would never kill themselves to save the life of another. Career expectation, without this merger what is the true career expectation of AAA employees?? This is another tough one, because how long will GE, PVT investors and the Federal Gov't continue to support AAA who by the way have openly stated that this is best shot and last at survival. Windfall, is it not a windfall for AAA to be employed past the end of the month?? I realize that this sounds nasty and really one sided and for that I apologize but when you make comments like climbing on the backs of others to advance it brings to mind the real world. Sorry but that's the way big business has always and will continue to work. There is no other career that carries with it the expectation of remaining in the same position you have today post merger. In fact in the real world most are either demoted or replaced outright. Nice job to the ALPA attorneys for writing such a policy.

WD.

Is it fair to the person who chose to come to AWA and make a career as opposed to AAA and now lose huge chunks of their seniority to save another
WD.

When did you make the "choice" to go to AWA Vs US.

SUNDOWN said:
Is it fair to the person who chose to come to AWA and make a career as opposed to AAA and now lose huge chunks of their seniority to save another
WD.

When did you make the "choice" to go to AWA Vs US.

Well truth be told AAA was never on my radar!!! Location they are east I am west.

WD.

TWA Dude said:
and that gets resolved by the weaker carrier losing its rights and the dominant carrier gets carte blanche to do whatever the devil it pleases. Now what I can’t for the life of me understand is why a few of you are pressing for the latter scenario. I don’t want to lose my job any more than the next guy but it seems a few of you (AA guys, hmmm) are perfectly happy to gain at the expense of others. I’m not.[/font][/color]

Now, as far pilots getting screwed by arbitration I’d much rather be screwed that way than by fellow pilots. At least the arbitrator doesn’t stand to gain from it.

Gain from what? What exactly did natives gain from this whole deal? A whole bunch of new debt? Displacements form CA to FO? Massive furloughs from both groups due to the massive debt taken on? Longer upgrade times?

We didn't gain SQUAT from this merger. Just another addition of a disgruntled pilot group. What, you say, we gained 100 more airplanes? Well guess what - they are there to replace the 727s and F100s... so the net gain is... zero. I guarantee if AA wouldn't have taken on TWA we'd be ordering new Boeings just about now.

As for your "carte blanche" analogy.... getting through to you guys is just as difficult. Maybe the deal was crafted in light of the fact that your career expectations weren't exactly stellar, due to the condition TWA found itself in 2000... and that any other deal crafted for you guys would have given you tremendous windfalls in light of said financial condition. Whatever. I'm not in any position to judge what's fair or not.

Like I said earlier, you all like to say that you were "powerless" to fight what the APA put together. Bullsheet! ALPA as a national union had PLENTY of clout to fight the APA. The reason they didn't was because they were trying to recruit us (fat chance.)

So I say, take 'em (ALPA) for what they're worth. I know I'd be contributing plenty towards that lawsuit if I was exTWA.

Regards,

Hey, it looks like YOUR CEO is taking this on. ALPA is going to have their hand's full on this one. Like I said before, if the AWA pilots would just THINK for a few moments they're the ones that will gain as so many AAA guys are retiring - 1.2 pilots per day just on retirements alone. Good luck to all.

Wiskey Driver said:
BC,

You may not like what Mickey is stating but it does have some rings of truth to it. These terms that keep getting tossed around like fair, career expectation and my personal favorite windfall. What is fair?? No one really knows!! Is it fair to the person who chose to come to AWA and make a career as opposed to AAA and now lose huge chunks of their seniority to save another??? While a very nobel thought, most would never kill themselves to save the life of another. Career expectation, without this merger what is the true career expectation of AAA employees?? This is another tough one, because how long will GE, PVT investors and the Federal Gov't continue to support AAA who by the way have openly stated that this is best shot and last at survival. Windfall, is it not a windfall for AAA to be employed past the end of the month?? I realize that this sounds nasty and really one sided and for that I apologize but when you make comments like climbing on the backs of others to advance it brings to mind the real world. Sorry but that's the way big business has always and will continue to work. There is no other career that carries with it the expectation of remaining in the same position you have today post merger. In fact in the real world most are either demoted or replaced outright. Nice job to the ALPA attorneys for writing such a policy.

WD.

aa73 said:
What exactly did natives gain from this whole deal?
Furlough fodder.
A whole bunch of new debt?
You seem to have difficulty differentiating between the pilots of TWA and AA management. Neither of us had anything to do with the buyout yet AA did give you, the APA, the priviledge of deciding how we were to be integrated. Quiz time: who saddled AMR with more debt in a questionable business decision? AA. Who do most AAers blame for the decision? AA. Who do many AAers take out their anger on? Ex-TWA pilots. Now I know what you're thinking: "why should we AAers suffer when we can make the TWAers suffer instead?" It's a valid thought yet it serves to differentiate between you and I.
Massive furloughs from both groups due to the massive debt taken on?
Funny, you're the first master economist who's made a direct connection between long-term debt and furloughs.
I guarantee if AA wouldn't have taken on TWA we'd be ordering new Boeings just about now.
Well, that's another difference between you and I. You possess amazing prognosticative powers; you know exactly what everyone is or was going to do. I don't.
Whatever. I'm not in any position to judge what's fair or not.
STOP THE PRESSES!! HISTORY IS BEING MADE!! I'm not exaggerating, this is the first time I've read an AAer make this admission. Finally we agree on something.
Like I said earlier, you all like to say that you were "powerless" to fight what the APA put together. Bullsheet! ALPA as a national union had PLENTY of clout to fight the APA. The reason they didn't was because they were trying to recruit us (fat chance.)
True, ALPA didn't defend us, however, hearing this come from you is like a rapist chastizing his victim for not having stronger locks on her house.

Wiskey Driver said:
I realize that this sounds nasty and really one sided and for that I apologize but when you make comments like climbing on the backs of others to advance it brings to mind the real world.
WD.

When did I make a comment like that?

One word, WD: Fences.

And as far as your choice to work for a western carrier, not to worry: your A330 pairing out of CLT won't be happening anytime soon.

BC

Latest resources

Back