• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA/USAir Deal Near

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't matter ifly. Management will walk away from the train wreck with millions ala Wolf, Goodwin, etc.

Their only comment a year from now will be "that's the best we could do given where the industry was."

Some old story. History always repeats itself.

Peace...

I actually tend to think that the regionals will be just fine, in fact we will probably benefit from it. I think Mesa is going to be phased out and AWAC and CHQ will pick up the slack for both. I cant see PSA being sold to Mesa, Mesa dosent have the money and we are the only part of the Air Group system that makes money. Why give that up?

I thought Mesa had lots of cash to burn. They were talking about giving airways 150 million right???

D

Soulfly said:
Doesn't matter ifly. Management will walk away from the train wreck with millions ala Wolf, Goodwin, etc.

Their only comment a year from now will be "that's the best we could do given where the industry was."

Some old story. History always repeats itself.

Peace...

Ain't that the truth. I can hear it now:

"Originally we forcasted the need to shed 60 aircraft, but as we continued our efforts to join these fine corporations we found that high fuel prices and general overcapacity in the industry are just too much to handle. Despite the best efforts of our all star employee line up we will be closing the PHX and PHL hubs effective immediately.

In a side note, VP's (insert many names) have decided to pursue new career opportunities and will be taking advantage of early opt-out clauses in their pre-merger contracts. We wish them the best during these trying times!

Thanks for listening to this weeks hotline and thanks for working so hard to make us the premier airline of choice."

mamba20 said:
I actually tend to think that the regionals will be just fine, in fact we will probably benefit from it. I think Mesa is going to be phased out ..

Mesa "phased out"? YGBSM. Mesa is one of the players putting up the cash. I guess you could dream, though.

Originally Posted by PHXFLYR
And thats all it is .... a guess. Funny how this AWA/USAir gig hasn't really progressed much beyond the rumor stage and the children of Flight Info get themselves all worked up into a lather. Whadda ya' all say we sit back and see what develops first.

PHXFLYR

Hey bro,

I say the same thing and I pray it doesnt happen! I have a lot of GREAT FRIENDS at cactus.

A good source at Cactus told me the deal WILL happen and the details are being worked out. I asked him why your union and employee groups would not protest and start a big disruption. He said it was too early to know the details.

He did not seem too disturbed, so this makes me think that the Cactus guys will be protected. My feelings are that PARKER, HIS MANAGEMENT, & USAIR MANAGEMENT are the only beneficiaries of this transaction. If this happens PHX will be done. Remember PSA and Usair? Usair bought PSA for westcoast presence!!! What really happened was USAir managers got rich and they got rid of the westcoast.

I dont want to see any airline die or any airline employees lose their jobs, but if this merger goes through---Cactus guys need to retain their jobs, bases and airplanes through fences and at all costs...PERIOD. Priority has to be given to the Cactus employees. ( By the way, IMHO, guns in the cockpit and mergers dont mix.)

Good luck and I hope this is only going to be a code-share.

If this is a merger between AWA and USair and not a buyout of USair by AWA, wouldnt both employees groups have a fair say and have a fair share when it comes down to future jobs, equipment, etc?? If this was AWA buying USAir then for sure you would expect that the AWA get a better deal for job secutiry like what happened with AA when they bought TWA, but from what i have read this is a merger not a buyout situation?? For AWA i think they would be far better off not getting involved with USair given there current status. I think AWA is a good airline with a bright future and want them to succed

ThisistheDream said:
If this was AWA buying USAir then for sure you would expect that the AWA get a better deal for job secutiry like what happened with AA when they bought TWA, but from what i have read this is a merger not a buyout situation??
Why should it matter? Neither pilot group should be entitled to a windfall (ie, AA over TWA). Regardless it's still not known exactly what the nature of this union will be. Neither side can afford to buy anyone; it'll be up to the moneybags to determine what the combined entity will look like.

Two Words. Career expectations. NO windfalls. Right from ALPA's by-laws.

DOH was removed.

AWA- 5 to 6 year upgrade. More airbuses coming.

USAIR- More than likely out of business by year's end. (Maybe, well who knows.) 15 Year F.O's. Upgrade. Yeah, sure. Losing 10 more planes.

I am not a math professor, but seems rather clear.

Latest resources

Back