• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA/U Seniority Food Fight - The First Salvo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Maybe a preferential interview or a 2:1 (2 old US Air guys for every one new hire on the street). Since we were going to keep hiring this year and next I'd want us to be fair to guys on the outside looking for Major Airline Work ... MESA RJ guys/gals should not be frozen out for the entire USAir list to be recalled."

So worse than a staple for the 14+ year AAA furloughee and a re-interview also?
You forgot to add a swift kick in the jimmy to go along with it.

Lear Love, before the "Steel Cage Match", I think there ought to be a merger of all pilots to pigpile a guy named "Chip" at US Airways. Whaddya say?

LearLove said:
I have the solution:

I suggested this way back during the UAL/U fiasco and again during the accompaning ACA/PDT-ALG deal and once again in the recient past in ref. to the ALG/PDT merger.

Senority integration via STEEL CAGE MATCH!!!!!!

I this case (U/AWA) we choose a neutral location like Kansas City KMCI and get all the US Air, MidAtlantic and AWA guys and lock them in a giant steel cage. When the bell rings it's every man for himself. First guy knocked out gets the bottom senority number. The next guy after gets one senority number better and so on till only one guy is standing. Last guy standing gets senority number one. Screw ALPA merger policy, this is the only fair way. We could even sell tickets and make back the paycuts weve given in the past 4 years.

Bonus - the guy who knocks out the most people gets to smash Duane Woerth on the face with a brick.

Any takers???

That's not exactly fair....

viper548 said:
How 'bout no current AWA pilots lose jobs, they weren't going to before the merger, why should they after one. US had planned on sending planes packing, so THEIR pilots should be the ones on the street. Senority integration should be done after the planned furloughes at US

AWA will send planes away with the merger as well. AWA will gain efficiencies due to the merger. Is it fair to make the USAir pilots take the full brunt. Every airline is feeling a pinch and looking for solutions. Your annalogy suggestions taking a snap shot of AWA with no lose of A/Cs and then take a snap shot of US in the future; not a fair comparison.

My take on an equitible merger: DOH for pay, vacation, retirement, etc. Percentage for integration and round up in favor of the stronger carrier. If you are 50% on the list, you should stay there within 1%.

Parking planes: take a look at the percentage of A/C lose from each carrier and try to make it reflect the same as to furloughs. The problem is the dominant carrier may make the weaker one get rid of planes for political reasons and not necessaritly for economic ones.

It will get ugly, best of luck to all.

TheDonger said:
Lear Love, before the "Steel Cage Match", I think there ought to be a merger of all pilots to pigpile a guy named "Chip" at US Airways. Whaddya say?

Yeah that guy is wacked in the head. He's usually getting hammered by our own guys on the AAA web board.

MK82Man says:

As far as furloughed USAir guys ... I don't know much about LOA 89 (?) but I do think they should have some rights at the new carrier. Maybe a preferential interview or a 2:1 (2 old US Air guys for every one new hire on the street). Since we were going to keep hiring this year and next I'd want us to be fair to guys on the outside looking for Major Airline Work ... MESA RJ guys/gals should not be frozen out for the entire USAir list to be recalled, etc. I am one AWA dude who is excited about the prospect. Call me new, call me naive, call me barely wet behind the ears, but it looks like a good match and a good future to me. I'll do my part.

This has got to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever read here. To actually think that a USAir pilot that has made the biggest sacrifice (Furloughed!) should be behind a guy off the street is completely insame. MK82Man and PositiveRate should be embarressed by the stupidity they show!!! After reading your posts, I will surely be rooting for the USAir boys.

On behalf of all furloughed USair pilots that want a fair recall schedule BEFORE STREET hires...POUND SAND MK82Man and PoistiveRate!!!

I think all furloughed USAirway's guys should get automatic recall before any new hire ever gets their foot in the door.

I can care less about any off the street guys looking for a job until each and every pilot ever furloughed by either airline is back on property.

This should be a no brainer.

All guys on the active seniority lists should be part of the merger discussions. Then all furloughed pilots brought back as positions are needed.

I'm voting for Lear's Thunderdome approach!! Time to start working out!!

Latest resources

Back