• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did not receive a letter, but I thought there had been an LOA that indicated the MEC said there are no recall rights for the furloughees. I am probably totally wrong, it was just something I read on this board. I hope we haven't, or don't lose them.

OPECJet said:
Any ideas about PDT/ALG with the merger? Or are we not on the radar scope....

Scott Kirby AWA Vice President Marketing likes the Dash 8 program. All 57 will be kept because"they are profitable and offer us some interesting flexibilty". Source was Aviation Daily about 2 weeks back. So I would say, yes you guys are on the radar screen!:)

PHXFLYR:cool:

Member Henson Aviation Alumni Comittee
4/86-7/96

I've heard from a couple sources that they plan on offering an early retirement buyout to the top 300 USAir guys. If true, that would ease the need for furloughs.

Also, from talks in the hotel van, it seems there is a fair number of USAir guys who accept that their days were numbered and as long as they didnt get an outright screw job on seniority integration, they would be happy to finish out their final few years in peace. Fears of a big fight may be overblown.

Just my $.02

I would expect that both MEC's will fight for fair integration. However, when it comes to the failing airline argument I think we need to look at the big picture. Here are a some comments from AWA's Parker just a couple of days ago.

"Both companies need this merger equally. It is important to the survival of both companies. Without it, the future is bleak for both companies. <<<

Parker said that without the merger, Uair would not be around for very long, and AWA would be in bankruptcy (Parker used that exact word: bankruptcy) in six to nine months.

>>> He will not play one employee group against another. It would be counterproductive. He doesn't think in those terms. <<<

Parker made this comment during the Q&A. This was parker’s response to xxxxx's question about “playing” one company against the other during the integration process."

I fully expect that my sixteen years at AAA will be recognized by my MEC and fought for voraciously

Tonto said:
I did not receive a letter, but I thought there had been an LOA that indicated the MEC said there are no recall rights for the furloughees. I am probably totally wrong, it was just something I read on this board. I hope we haven't, or don't lose them.

Tonto:

there's nothing in the LOA's that do away with any recall rights. Well scratch that, there is a provision if a furloughee takes a position with MDA and then resigns or leaves (think there's a time frame, not sure) then they will loose their recall rights back to mainline. (which is part of another on going argument) Otherwise, the recall rights are still there.
Either way there needs to be someone eyeballing the whole affair to ensure that the furloughees, and even at this point the people on the CEL list are protected for all that has occurred in the past 4 years.

BraveSirRobin, Define a total screw job????? AAA is to retire about 1600-1900 in the next 5 years....not counting the number of early outs, medicals etc........depending on the integration, who would stand to gain a large windfall just from that fact?

Last edited:
I appreciate the accurate information. I'm not looking for a miracle, just a good flying job to go back to. With all the retirements coming there is no reason this can't work out in everyone's favor; with that being said, I hope it does.

SOVT said:
I would expect that both MEC's will fight for fair integration. However, when it comes to the failing airline argument I think we need to look at the big picture. Here are a some comments from AWA's Parker just a couple of days ago.

"Both companies need this merger equally. It is important to the survival of both companies. Without it, the future is bleak for both companies. <<<

Parker said that without the merger, Uair would not be around for very long, and AWA would be in bankruptcy (Parker used that exact word: bankruptcy) in six to nine months.

>>> He will not play one employee group against another. It would be counterproductive. He doesn't think in those terms. <<<

Parker made this comment during the Q&A. This was parker’s response to xxxxx's question about “playing” one company against the other during the integration process."

I fully expect that my sixteen years at AAA will be recognized by my MEC and fought for voraciously

Statements like those from Parker, who wants this merger to happen, are predictable. Saying anything to the contrary, could jeopardize the merger.

What are your expectations regarding the seniority list integration?

Crzipilot said:
Tonto:

there's nothing in the LOA's that do away with any recall rights.

Crzipilot: Are you sure? I mean, I've read this several times right here on flightinfo.com! I think there's no recall at all for U pilots, because, after all, and, as I already stated, I've read it several times on flightinfo.com

Check your sources, man, because, after all, what they're sayin' on flightinfo.com is all different.

OK....enough sarcasm.

My sources....the LOA's themselves, say you're correct: nothing other than breaking a training freeze at MDA prevents recall. Now, if we can just get the uninformed to quiet down a bit, we can get on with a reasonable integration.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back