Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA hiring US Airways furloughed pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KeroseneSnorter said:
No way, seen too many mergers to make that call. Most of the time it is nothing like you expect it to be.

Is the plan still to keep the USAirways name? If so, that may throw a monkey wrench into the AWA guys plans about a merger policy. I would guess you will see some pretty long fences built up around the international flying, given the precidents set in the previous mergers.

Of course, all this is speculation.

And not even well-informed speculation at that.

Yes, the combined airline will be called US Airways. No, it won't throw a monkey wrench in anything.

Reference a previous post of yours, nobody is getting "boned" out of anything. Unfortunately, many of the US Airways furloughees have a substantial number of years with the company, but there is no applicable merger precedent that would bring back a furloughee to replace a working pilot.

As for fences, they work both ways. AWA will begin service to Hawaii in December, should the US Air guys be fenced off that by virtue of the fact that they don't go there now? It has been my past experience with mergers that fences cause more long-term heartburn than almost any other aspect of integration methodology.

Not trying to pick on you, but your choice of the word "boned" was a bad one and you could do with a little better understanding of the factors at play.

KeroseneSnorter said:
No way, seen too many mergers to make that call. Most of the time it is nothing like you expect it to be.

Is the plan still to keep the USAirways name? If so, that may throw a monkey wrench into the AWA guys plans about a merger policy. I would guess you will see some pretty long fences built up around the international flying, given the precidents set in the previous mergers.

Of course, all this is speculation.

What the he11 is this guys talking about?

For the furloughed AAA pilots to get a job at the bottom of the list with previous longevity is more than generous. Maybe they've been at AAA for 15 years...but that includes 5 to 6 years or more of being furloughed.

As for US Airways flying A330's and 767's...so what??? They can keep 'em. Put fences up...I don't care. We'll be flying the A350's when they come anyways.

Everyone needs to understand this: America West is stonger of the two carriers. US Airways is not going to dictate terms to us.

The question is "How many of the furloughed USAir guys and gals will come back when offered the job at the new USAir?" If there are supposedly 2000 or so on furlough- then will half of them even want the job?

Just curious,

BTW,

We are going to offer the AAA pilots first crack at any new jobs. It will not be a recall. They have no rights at the new airline. If they don't want to be here, or if they think it's unfair that they don't get their original seniority, blah, blah, blah, they can simply find a job somewhere else.

I know quite a few guys from the regionals who would like to work here.

Very respectfully sir, I think its honorable that you will make that offer to the US Airways furloughees -- but...

... they are still US Airways pilots and, as such, will be integrated as per the arbitrator's decision.

I dont believe a furloughed pilot will replace one who is currently flying, but none of us can say right now if an arbitrator will grant anything for previous time in service.

Why dont we just wait and see. In the meantime though, thanks for at least THINKING of the furloughees -- its more than US Airways managent or ALPA has done.

Arrrgh.. the USAirways..you owe me..attitude bites again!!!

Weren't you the guys running around with date of hire sh!t when you were jumpseating on United a few years ago saying those captains on shiny metal would be "beneath you", when Wolfe completed his United beat up?

Don't you guys ever friggin' get it?!!

You're broke, always have been and always will be.

Your safety record sucks, the attitude of your staff sucks, you've operated about 17 different aircraft types in the last ten years and changed management like socks. You don't have a defined route structure anywhere West of Pittsburgh and you all cry about how hard life is.

How 'bout you guys learn a lesson in life called humility and thank Parker for even considering contemplating the nightmare he is bringing on himself and his entire staff at AWA?

The alternative is, "Would you like fries with that?"

Fly-n-hi said:
It will not be a recall. They have no rights at the new airline.
The new airline does not abrogate their recall rights. That's a false rumor. The furloughees will be recalled when we start hiring again. The Transition Agreement will dictate the terms but I would expect them to receive longevity pay and a seniority number at the bottom. When the combined seniority list integration is complete it's theoretically possible that their number could be adjusted but I don't anticipate that happening.

Just some points in general to both sides: no pilot here is "entitled" to any job. The airline owns the flying, not the pilots. None of us deserves anything less than the best we can negotiate. If a USA guy says he wants a DOH integration I take no offense because that's merely a bargaining position. AWA is the financially better-off carrier but as I preached during the TWA/AA integration I don't believe a pilot's worth is determined by the financial health of his employer. Recognizing that each side has very different opinions as to what constitutes fairness I suspect it will come down to the arbitrator and come what may we'll have to accept it. As always the bitterness will last forever for some but most of us will deal with it and move forward.

Prog 2/2 said:
Not trying to pick on you, but your choice of the word "boned" was a bad one and you could do with a little better understanding of the factors at play.

I understand much more than I care to believe me.

As to the "boned".........They had 15 years in, their flying was replaced by kids in RJ's that were willing to fly it for nothing, their entire retirement was removed from them with no vote or input of anykind (several BILLION mind you), and their CEO gutted the company and took off with millions to line his own pocket. Now they would be a "newhire" at their own company (It is a merger, so it is both of your companies now).

I think boned is a pretty good word for their situation.

I doubt that any of them care about what seat they are in or what senority number they have, Longevity for pay is most likely what is important to them since many are in their late 40's.

Not trying to start a war here, just looking at the situation.

TWA Dude said:
The new airline does not abrogate their recall rights. That's a false rumor. The furloughees will be recalled when we start hiring again. The Transition Agreement will dictate the terms but I would expect them to receive longevity pay and a seniority number at the bottom. When the combined seniority list integration is complete it's theoretically possible that their number could be adjusted but I don't anticipate that happening.

Just some points in general to both sides: no pilot here is "entitled" to any job. The airline owns the flying, not the pilots. None of us deserves anything less than the best we can negotiate. If a USA guy says he wants a DOH integration I take no offense because that's merely a bargaining position. AWA is the financially better-off carrier but as I preached during the TWA/AA integration I don't believe a pilot's worth is determined by the financial health of his employer. Recognizing that each side has very different opinions as to what constitutes fairness I suspect it will come down to the arbitrator and come what may we'll have to accept it. As always the bitterness will last forever for some but most of us will deal with it and move forward.

TWA Dude, We can always count on you for a voice of reason when the argument gets heated. I agree with absolutely everything you said!!

For the others,

How many times do we have to say that the name of the company means NOTHING. There are no wrenches, curve balls, etc...by calling our new company USAirway's. The name is actually being assigned to the merger of America West Holdings and the Barbell Corporation which holds custodialship over the USAirway's Group in this transaction. If you are bored, they just put out a few hundred page prospectus on the merger that you can read. It explains the transaction in great detail.

The Company and both MEC's have agreed to hire pilots from the US Airway's furlough list before taking from the pool. The terms aren't public but our MEC did put out a blastmail stating that the off the street pool guys are basically out of luck. There will be NO true new hires at US Airway's or AWA for many years.
The details of the furloughed pilots return is unknown by us line people, and any statements regarding pay, seniority, etc...are pure speculation.

It seems that the AAA guys forgot that AWA operated 747's for a few YEARS. I have flown with many captains that flew the 747's. To say that these guys never had a hope of flying wide bodied equipment again is just pure speculation again. You would have to be a fly on the wall of the AWA BOD to truly know future fleet plans.
Should you be fenced off 757 Hawaii flying because you didn't bring it to the table?

Fences can be dangerous. Careful what you wish for. Most guys don't want your 330/767 flying.

Back to the original topic. The furloughed pilots of AAA will be considered at the newco before any poolies or off the street hires. That is all we know.

Latest resources

Back