Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA hiring US Airways furloughed pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wingit

I've heard through the grapvine that AWA will have to hire from the US Airways furloughed pilots before they bring on pilots from their pool. Does anyone know anything about this? The last I heard from AWA is that they were still planning on hiring from the pool in the near future. I know everything is subject to change. I just want to hear what people might know about the matter.

Its not that they HAVE to, that's what both mec's and management decided was the best decision.

Last I heard is that they are considering hiring furloughed USAir pilots prior to hiring from the pool, or that both MEC's, and the company are discussing it.

The downside is that if they do decide to hire furloughed pilots prior the individuals in the pool, the company will wait to hire until the integration is complete, to prevent training events. Last I heard is 80 in the spring with another 80 or so next fall. But there are still rumors about possible hiring this year, to drain the pool, along with a bid message maybe next month.

Everything is in a state of flux to say the least. I'm not sure if the "newco" has even finalized the fleet plans? That being said, the rumors range from a captain bid message, to pending possible furlough's, and everything else in between.

I am not in the "know", but this is the latest I've heard, all else has been relatively quite. The calm before the storm?

Good luck to us all!

Will they be hiring these furloughed USAir guys as new hires? Or will they retain their seniority?

furloughfodder said:
Will they be hiring these furloughed USAir guys as new hires? Or will they retain their seniority?

Its a new company.

JetMonkey said:
Its a new company.

Soooo, I guess you are saying that all pilots on the property start over at first year wages?

Valid question since many of the furloughees have 15 years in with U. Will they be slotted in with the merger or boned out of their 1.5 decades with the airline?

Possibly fences on the 330's and 767's? Given U history in the past few years granted that there is not much happening there, however they are bringing routes and equipment that AWA has never come close to being able to operate on their own.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Soooo, I guess you are saying that all pilots on the property start over at first year wages?

Valid question since many of the furloughees have 15 years in with U. Will they be slotted in with the merger or boned out of their 1.5 decades with the airline?

Possibly fences on the 330's and 767's? Given U history in the past few years granted that there is not much happening there, however they are bringing routes and equipment that AWA has never come close to being able to operate on their own.

Our MEC has reported that if furloughed airways pilots are hired, they will retain longevity, not seniority. Longevity for time on the property, not including furlough. Furloughee's will not be slotted. That is more than fair.

Don't forget, America West operated 747's to HNL and Japan.

KeroseneSnorter said:

I didn't say that. Senority is more than wages, if these guys get to keep their years towards pay purposes then hey that's great, I'd be happy for them. I'm just pointing out that its not your daddy's old's anymore, these guys and gals will not be returning to the same company they left. I'm not trying to make an issue out of this, besides the two companies will still have to stay separate for two years and we WILL bring on new hires during this time. Wanna take a guess as to which side of the fence they'll be coming to?

Guppiedriver said:
Our MEC has reported that if furloughed airways pilots are hired, they will retain longevity, not seniority. Longevity for time on the property, not including furlough. Furloughee's will not be slotted. That is more than fair.

Don't forget, America West operated 747's to HNL and Japan.

As long as they keep their longevity for pay purposes I do not see a real issue. After all it is not about the seat your in, but the pay in the wallet anyhow.

JetMonkey said:
Wanna take a guess as to which side of the fence they'll be coming to?

No way, seen too many mergers to make that call. Most of the time it is nothing like you expect it to be.

Is the plan still to keep the USAirways name? If so, that may throw a monkey wrench into the AWA guys plans about a merger policy. I would guess you will see some pretty long fences built up around the international flying, given the precidents set in the previous mergers.

Of course, all this is speculation.

Latest resources

Back