• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avolar Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any rumors on what effect a spinoff would have on pilots? Are pilots going to be represented by ALPA? Will pilots be offered openings at mainline when they open up? Seniority system at Avolar tied to United? I heard starting pay for Captain @ 145,000 and FO @ 95,000. And that ALPA has signed on for support of operation. Also plan is to use United mainline FA's.

From what I have heard is that they are going to TRY and give the furloughed UAL guys first look. I am not sure if that is what they are actually doing but the UAL-MEC has confirmed that they have hired 15 UAL furloughed guys that DO NOT have to resign seniority.

I am guessing that this venture between United and Avolar will remain independant for sometime. ALPA has agreed to it in the sense that ALPA which represents over 10,500 UAL guys has not contested the idea of Avolar's ideas and future plans. I think that JAN and FEB is going to be when they start there main push for hiring since they need to get guy/gals trained and in position to launch in April 2002.

Again this is mere speculation. Rumors that you hear around the crew lounge. So keep sending those resumes in there, and keep updating the message board with your findings as I plan to do.

Good Luck!

Hey thanks for the info! Just sitting here trying to decide if it is worth the risk of leaving a Fortune 100 for a start-up. It would help me decide if Avolar gave some type of link to United, in case they folded. Oh well, I guess yas rolls the dice and takes yas chances. Thanks for the intel. Would appreciate updates as progress is made. Good luck!

Metoo,
I was wondering where you got the information on the pay scales.
I have not heard that being an Avolar pilot will be a foot in the door for United. I wouldn't hink it would, but the experience should be worthwhile since it'll operate under part 121.
Besides as a start up with your hours you should rise to Capt quickly and at the pay that you're suggesting, you'd probably be living comfortably on Avolar pay.
Good Luck.

Not sure where that pay scale info came from, but a couple months ago in one of the industry magazines (can't remember if it was Pro Pilot or AIN) the guy interviewed from Avolar stated that they plan to have an average expense per pilot of $95,000. This "expense" was to include salary and benefits, but not training expenses.

I would guess this would put first officer salary in the $45,000 range and Captain salary in the $75,000 range... Which is a bit above other fractionals.

Last edited:
Saw the same article a few months ago and ditto on the salary. The numbers I heard were from FSI instructors a few weeks ago while in Falcon recurrent. They had been in communication with Avolar in regards to training. Only a rumor but it came from pretty close to the top. I hope the numbers are correct and I believe they would have to be for Avolar to 'rob the corporate flight depts. of their experienced Falcon/Gulfstream pilots' as they have been quoted in the magazines. Anyway it would take those numbers for anyone in our dept. to leave. We'll soon see. Best of luck to all of us during these interesting times.

Airbus orders

Anyone think the recent Avolar-Airbus deal has anything
to do with the fact that UAL reduced its delivers in 2002.
FYI: UAL was suppose to take delivery of 44 Airbus A/C
in 2002. Now they are only getting 24 A/C and that includes
some Boeings.
I think to keep Airbus happy UAL made a deal to take
some A/C for Avolar.
It's good for the United guys because they must be flown
by United pilots. Which brings up an interesting question,
since the pilots furloughed are all very junior, where are they
going to get experienced Captains for the Airbus?

According to the ALPA hotline and website, the Avolar Airbus' will be flown by mainline UAL crews. Avolar employees will not fly those aircraft.

IF the Airbus's MUST be flown by UAL pilots then you have answered your own question....these planes will not be flown by experienced Airbus Captains. I would expect some of the new insurance liability changes that have occured recently will ultimately dictate who commands these planes...as well as all of Avolar's fleet.

Latest resources

Back