• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good first date flick!

Jetlaag said:
"Always"

Steven Spielberg's fire fighting movie. Awesome.

John Goodman, Richard Dryfus, and that hot Holly Hunter.

Flying, romance, etc.

I like the way Holly Hunter goes "around the horn" and cranks up the B25 in a hurry!

The Blue Max rocks

Rock said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned "Castaway". And one of the best is "The Blue Max".

George P.

30 second over Tokyo

The Doolittle Raiders

"The Pilot" (c. 1979) with Cliff Robertson. Robertson is a rated pilot in real life, and heard a rumor that he got typed (or at least trained) on the DC-8 so that he would actually taxi, takeoff, fly, etc. during filming of the cockpit sequences. A good movie about an airline captain battling the demons of alcoholism. Some good flying scenes and good writing with CRM issues, a fuel emergency going into SFO, etc. Check it out.

Last edited:
Another good one is "The Aviator" (c. 1985) with Christopher Reeve (not the recent one with fancy boy DiCaprio). Anyway, Reeve plays an airmail pilot in the 1920s. The airmail service started toying with the idea of taking passengers along (and it all went downhill from there!!!) Rosanna Arquette plays a poor little rich girl who is the passenger... yada yada yada. There's a great scene where Reeve is having breakfast (a jelly doughnut reserved for him... you'll see) and coffee. Arquette, the annoying passenger, is asking him lots of questions while he is trying to have a quiet moment eating. Sound familiar? The dialouge is hilarious, and it will remind you of those moments when someone interrupts your meal at the airport or your sleep during a commute in order to aks stuff like, "So, what's your route?" or "I have friend who used to fly747s for Pan Am, maybe you know him?"

Again, The Aviator (1985). Good flick.

Last edited:
Another vote for The High and The Mighty, as well as Dr. Strangelove (Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb)

I'll have to find The Pilot

I remember that one...

RightBettor said:
"The Pilot" with Cliff Robertson. Robertson is a rated pilot in real life, and heard a rumor that he got typed (or at least trained) on the DC-8 so that he would actually taxi, takeoff, fly, etc. during filming of the cockpit sequences. A good movie about an airline captain battling the demons of alcoholism. Some good flying scenes and good writing with CRM issues, a fuel emergency going into SFO, etc. Check it out.

Doesn't it end with an evacutaion where he returns for the flask in his coat?

Then shows him crop dusting in the end?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back