• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: URL

dmspilot00 said:
Tailspin: Behind the Korean Airliner Tragedy
A buddy of mine used to be a cryptographer in the Navy. Secret stuff. One of those guys who can talk to you for an hour about what he did in the service, and at the end of the hour, you still don't know what he did.

Anyway, he tells me that Tailspin was alarming for being a little too accurate. Apparently there are some callsigns and codes in that movie that are still..."sensetive," from an intelligence standpoint.

They must've had a very, very connected technical advisor...

Pearl Harbor

I can't believe Pearl Harbor hasn't been mentioned yet. That has to rate at least in the top three. Starring that great American Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Dolittle and Ben Affleck (J'Lo's flavor of the month and Hollywood's most intelligent actor). Hollywood went to great lengths to ensure the movie's accuracy.

For anyone that thinks Turbulence was bad, you gotta go rent Turbulence 2....Yes, they made a sequel. I've never laughed so hard in my life. There was a definate reason why it never made it to the theaters.

Am I the only one

I must add, When a man loves woman (Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan) and Bounce (ben affleck, gwyneth paltrow) are two wonderful airplane movies! :)

ALi

"The Dawn Patrol" with Errol Flynn and David Niven. A great film about the RAF.

The best one I have seen was "Airport 1975" when a Beech Baron collides with a 747 on the right side of the flight deck and the First Officer was sucked out and Erik Estrada (hahahah!!) was the Second officer.

The movie itself was kinda cheesy but in the age before "blue screen" special effects the spot plane footage of the 747 was a site to see.

I was 6 when the movie came out but I would watch it again.

Enjoy!!;)

Re: Pearl Harbor

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
I can't believe Pearl Harbor hasn't been mentioned yet. That has to rate at least in the top three. Starring that great American Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Dolittle and Ben Affleck (J'Lo's flavor of the month and Hollywood's most intelligent actor). Hollywood went to great lengths to ensure the movie's accuracy.
I get it, this is sarcasm! Right?

Where do I begin?

(1) James Doolittle was a soft-spoken professional who held a couple of Masters degrees. Alec Baldwin played him as a hard-headed regular-Army ignoramus.

(2) Doolittle never commanded a fighter squadron.

(3) Ever seen the inside of a P-40's cockpit? Think you could fly one anywhere near right-side-up with Kate Beckinsale sitting your lap? (Lord knows I'd try...did you see her nude scenes in Haunted?)

(4) Admiral Yamamoto wasn't aboard any aircraft carriers on December 7-8...he was aboard Nagato, a battleship, back in Japan. And he never said anything about awakening "sleeping giants." That was dreamed up by the scriptwriter for Tora! Tora! Tora!

(5) In reality, the ships on Battleship Row were moored "bumper-to-bumper." There was no space for Zeros, Vals, and Kates to go winging in between them. Even if they could, the anti-aircraft gunners trying to engage them would have been spraying rounds into the ships and sailors next door.

(6) Arizona wasn't dealt her fatal blow until well into the battle. The movie shows her being blown apart in the first two minutes.

(7) The portrayal of F.D.R. standing up in front of his military advisors? Garbage. As a matter of fact, the military folks were pushing very hard for some sort of retaliatory raid. They weren't the heartless wimps shown in the movie.

(8) Do you really think Rafe's girlfriend could have just waltzed into a top-secret facility monitoring the Doolittle raid on Japan? And by the way, how was anybody in Hawaii listening to radio transmissions from a battle taking place 3,400 miles away in real time?

(9) Have you read about how competitive Army flight training was during the 1938-1942 period? There is absolutely no f___ing way Rafe would have made it all the way through with dyslexia...even with the help of one friendly nurse.

And as for "Hollywood's most intellignet actor"...Ben Afleck once said on Jay Leno's tonight show that regional airline pilots were "like the guys in high school who couldn't make the varsity team." (He had come into town on Skywest...)

Ben Afleck is a prick.

This movie may have had some cool sequences in it, but as far as accuracy is concerned it's embarassing! And it's particularly insulting to General Doolittle. Many of the B-25 pilots and crewmembers who flew that historic raid that are still living expressed great displeasure with this movie. Go rent Tora! Tora! Tora! and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo instead.

Typhoon1244 said:

It was a DC-10...maybe a freak lightnigng strike took off an engine and tore out a bunch of hydraulic lines.

I never figured out why Hanks got thrown aft when they hit the water, a prety glaring error if you ask me.

And as for number two still running after the plane hit the water and broke in half...the technical advisor must've been on his lunch brake. Even if such a thing could happen, the #2 fan is buried deep inside the DC-10's tail-mounted intake. It's not at the front of the nacelle as it's depicted in the movie. Hanks shouldn't have been able to see that big ol' fan coming at him at all.

DC-10??? Didnt that have an awful lot of Glass up front to be a 10?

On a side note, someone mentioned Fate is the Hunter. (required reading imo) Where the hell can I find that movie, I;ve been looking for years.

mckpickle said:
DC-10??? Didnt that have an awful lot of Glass up front to be a 10?
I was pretty sure it was a '10. I don't remember seeing any winglets.

UPS has glass in their DC-8's...any FedEx guys out there who can shed light on this avionics question?

Re: Re: Pearl Harbor

Typhoon1244 said:
I get it, this is sarcasm! Right?

Where do I begin?

(6) Arizona wasn't dealt her fatal blow until well into the battle. The movie shows her being blown apart in the first two minutes.

This movie may have had some cool sequences in it, but as far as accuracy is concerned it's embarassing! And it's particularly insulting to General Doolittle. Many of the B-25 pilots and crewmembers who flew that historic raid that are still living expressed great displeasure with this movie. Go rent Tora! Tora! Tora! and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo instead.

I agree. I was looking forward to seeing Pearl Harbor in the theater, and in the end, it was just another Top Gun. I should have expected as much from Jerry Bruckheimer/ Michael Bay!

A pilot would have to be either pretty good or pretty unfortunate to serve with the Eagle Squadron, then make it back to Pearl Harbor in time for the attack, and then switch to Army Air Force B-25s for the Doolittle Raid!
And, did you notice the angle-deck aircraft carrier in one of the shots? Whoops.

A minor correction- the Arizona WAS sunk in the opening minutes of the attack. Aikimo Fuchida, who was leading the air strike, had two different battle plans, depending on whether surprise had been achieved or not. His plan fell apart, and all the planes attacked at the same time, with the high-level bombers attacking Battleship Row instead of Hickam Field. One of the bombers scored a lucky hit on the Arizona with an armor-piercing artillery shell that had been modified with fins.

Latest resources

Back