• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation movies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines. Actually a comedy. I believe Paul Mantz (or maybe it was Frank Tallman, his partner) worked on that movie.

Island in the sky

A great aviaiton movie, starring John Wayne based upon at rue strory written by E. Gann. Airplane froced landing in Cananda and the search and rescue to find them/

dmspilot00 said:
I might make some people laugh with this comment, but I think the most realistically executed "airline disaster" movie was CBS's depiction of the Aloha flight which suffered an in-flight breakup of the fuselage (Miracle Landing).

And in case anybody missed it, this is the movie Chunk was referring to as being on Lifetime. I agree that is fairly accurate. I even have a picture of the real FO standing at the top of the 1L escape slide as the pax were de-planing.

I remember seeing a TV movie about the DC-10 that lost all it's hydraulic systems and crashed in Sioux City. It starred Charleton Heston as the captain. I don't think I was a pilot yet when it came out so I can't really remember if it was very realistic. Anyone remember seeing it?

bozz66 said:
I remember seeing a TV movie about the DC-10 that lost all it's hydraulic systems and crashed in Sioux City. It starred Charleton Heston as the captain. I don't think I was a pilot yet when it came out so I can't really remember if it was very realistic. Anyone remember seeing it?

Yes, that was the United 232 movie I mentioned. I believe they followed actual ATC tapes pretty closely. They also used actual news footage of the crash. However the movie itself just wasn't that good. The actual flight only covered maybe 20 minutes of the movie, before that was a long boring introduction which took place at the airport while they were having emergency practice drills, and the rest focused on rescuing the survivors, I think.

Its a mad mad mad mad world

Great airplane scenes - flying through the bilboard and under that hanger.

--

Flight of the Intruder. (plenty of cheeze, but fun)

bozz66 said:
I remember seeing a TV movie about the DC-10 that lost all it's hydraulic systems and crashed in Sioux City. It starred Charleton Heston as the captain.
Captain Al Haines, the real-life captain of United 232, has got to be the most humble, unassuming man I've ever come across. I wonder how he felt having "Moses" portray him in the movie...?

Somebody mentioned Capticorn One...one of my all-time favorites, even though it has O.J. playing an astronaut. This movie has at its end the greatest aerial chase scene ever filmed, a pair of OH-6's versus a biplane crop-duster. Really exciting!

One other cool thing about Capricorn...: the periodic voice-overs by "Paul Cunningham, Capricorn control." These are basically summaries of what's going on throughout the mission for the benefit of the press. At the beginning of the movie, Cunningham even describes what the astronauts had for breakfast. It lends a lot of credibility and realism to a movie that would otherwise have problems.

Here's another one. I was recently re-watching 2001, probably the most realistic movie ever made about space travel. Anyway, I got thinking about the Pan Am Orion III shuttle that's depicted in this movie. In a time where orbital and lunar airline travel become routine, what kinds of things would pilots be bitching about? Is there anything to do while you're on a layover on the Moon? Are there any decent restaurants on that "wagon-wheel" space station? (We know it has a Hilton, so there's probably a restaurant that has 8-oz. steaks for $65.) Is Chataqua flying 777's by now? Do the approach controllers in the Sea of Tranquility always take two or three calls to answer?

Of course, 2001 was two years ago...my, what progress we've made.

Latest resources

Back