Aviation movies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Typhoon1244 said:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Die Hard II.

How about the fact that all the pilots had to do was talk to center and go somewhere else...and the whole movie would never have happened?

Doh, I was gonna mention that. I figure you don't have to be a pilt to figure that one out.

Other movies...

How bout "Airplane", where:
* the 707 sounds like a WWII bomber
* Takes off without its landing gear
* Turns magically into a 727 on the final scene
Great flick though... (picked the wrong day to stop sniffin glue!!!)

There was an old Stewart film based on the B-25 carrier takeoffs in WWII. It was a lil cheesy but then again, I love B-25s!!!

here's another point regarding movies. Have you ever noticed that NO plane sounds like it really is? For example, a Stearman will sound like a Cessna. Or a Huey will sound like a jet ranger..
Or a Cessna will sound like a Stearman.

Hands down, the funniest....Fandango. Truman Sparks landing on the highway, pulling up next to the car at the light, and sticking his arm out the window to signal a left turn was hysterical. Plus the cops chasing his 172 in the police helicopter was classic.

crash-proof said:

here's another point regarding movies. Have you ever noticed that NO plane sounds like it really is? For example, a Stearman will sound like a Cessna. Or a Huey will sound like a jet ranger..
Or a Cessna will sound like a Stearman.

Or how about the fact that when any airplane is in trouble, diving out of control, whatever- in a Hollywood movie, it always makes a sound like the Junkers Ju-87 Stuka? The Stuka dive bomber had a wind-driven siren on one of its landing gear struts for psychological effect, and no other plane in the world makes that wailing sound!

High and the Mightly. Best by far of any aviation related movie. Never been equaled and given new Hollywood's propensity to produce expensive eye candy backed up by stupid, inane, and politically correct screenplays, probably never will.

crash-proof said:
...another point regarding movies. Have you ever noticed that NO plane sounds like it really is?
I've noticed that Hollywood sound technicians think all helicopters--from the NOTAR Hughes 500's to the Chinook--sound like the H-13's on M*A*S*H. That annoys the crap out of me.

How about Turbulence? Did y'all enjoy that one? Best line--and I forget the exact words, but it went something like this:
Controller: "Oh, c'mon! She can't handle that plane! She's only a stewardess!"

In-Flight Manager: [with powerful confidence] "She's not a 'stewardess.' She's a flight attendant."
The best part is that whoever wrote that dialogue didn't intend for it to be a joke...they were serious! She's a flight attendant, so of course she can fly that plane! If she was a 'stewardess,' she'd be screwed. (Probably in more ways than one...)

One other rape of reality that movies often commit: would somebody please tell the folks in Hollywood that two or three people with radios can not talk on the same frequence at the same time? Even Pushing Tin, which tried really hard to get some things right, dropped the ball on this one! (That movie had other problems, too. I guess the writer believed that pilots just blindly do whatever controllers tell them...)

Typhoon1244 said:

"...because it's so beautifully filmed..."

"...--will take your breath away..."

"...is exquisite in its faithfulness to reality..."

Ummmm....Skipper,

Are you feeling ok? Or did the Mrs. get ahold of your laptop again?

:D :D :D

MetroSheriff said:
Ummmm....Skipper, are you feeling ok? Or did the Mrs. get ahold of your laptop again?
Wow. Did I really write all that? I sound like the Leonard Maltin of Flightinfo.com. Maybe I missed my calling...

And no, the Missus didn't get hold of the computer. She doesn't know any flowery words like that!

Hey, what can I say? I've always been an airplane-movie junkie, and I'm lovin' this thread! Thanks for starting this, 172Driver!

Leave it to BobbySam to first come up with Twelve O'Clock High. I really enjoyed some of the flight scenes (actual shots from B-17 bombing missions). You can see how close the formations really were. Towards the end it got a little cheesy but I'd always give it a thumbs up.

I can't recall the name of the movie with the B-25's off the carrier deck but it had to be the one about the Doolittle Mission raid over Tokyo in April 1942. Great low level flying shots.

Cast Away

Cast Away...

1. Who got their wx brief?
2. With that much red on their radar, why not turn the F%$K around.(Do you Heavy cargo guys and gals fly through that crap?)
3. How about the FedEx Superbowl commercial.

Memphis Belle I thought was a pretty good flick. I don't get naucious watching it like I do Top Gun.

Hot Shots! In my opinion, gives Airplane! a run for its money.

Roger that, Milli Vanilli Chili Willie!

URL

I just found a website with reviews of numerous aviation movies. Most of the ones I talked about are on here.

http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/movies.html

Here's a list:

Airplane!
Airplane II: The Sequel
Airport
Airport 1975
Airport '77
Airport '79 (The Concorde)
Blackout Effect
Crash Landing: The Rescue
of Flight 232 [Based on United DC-10 Accident]
Crash: The Mystery of Flight 1501