• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation degree/Non-Aviation degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Which is the best option for a young person who wants to pursue a career as a pilot?

• Aviation degree

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Non-Aviation degree

Votes: 155 71.1%

• Total voters
Do what I did and get TWO useless degrees...one in aviation and one in Music. Wait, take it further...make it Music performance on the Oboe.

Nah, just kidding, they aren't useless. In fact, the music degree has helped me on almost every job interview I've had. Flying and non-flying. There are alot of pilots that are frustrated musicians on the weekends.

FWIW, the only thing my aviation degree has gotten me is, $70,000 in debt, a job that pays less than $15k/yr and an 11x13" piece of paper (that didn't even come with a frame) that does a really good job of covering up a dent in the wall of my apartment! Sometimes it sucks when you love to fly! :)

English said:
Do what I did and get TWO useless degrees...one in aviation and one in Music. Wait, take it further...make it Music performance on the Oboe.

Nah, just kidding, they aren't useless. In fact, the music degree has helped me on almost every job interview I've had. Flying and non-flying. There are alot of pilots that are frustrated musicians on the weekends.

Did you go to band camp?

Didn't you know my name was Michelle??

It was the flute, not the oboe.

I started out with a Mechanical Technology degree with a Aviation Maintenance minor. I did all the flying Part 91 on the side and instructed my way through college. When I couldn't get through Calculus dropped the major and majored in the minor. I came out with 4 years of college and my Airframe and Powerplant. I didn't get the degree. Having the maintenance background to fall back on has been a real plus and has kept the family fed along the way. It also is an oppurtunity after 60 to move to some little podunk airport manage it and do annuals and such and live in a little trailer on the airport. In the winter I could stoke the stove and tell flying stories to all that come by. My opinion if you are going to survive in aviation you need to dive in and be in it all the way one way or the other.

English said:
It was the flute, not the oboe.
Yeah, oboes are for girls that really get around... :D

(I dated a bassoonist once. I gotta tell ya...)

I think it all depends on what you want to do. Aviation Degrees have of late become more desirable. The biggest stumbling block is HR personnel not understanding that individuals with a specific aviation degree are better prepared to walk right in to the position with minimal training. Particularly positions such as Station Managers, Airport Managers, Airport Engineers, Avionics Techs and the like. It reduces the learning curve. Personally, I'd rather hire someone right out of ERAU, UND or SIU in my field, rather than spend 6-8 weeks training someone who just has a non-specific degree. To each their own though.

Does Hugh Jorgan have piccolo envy?:D :p

Well, maybe it's bassoon envy, but a piccolo trickster might make the oboe seem a little more bassoonesque.

oh yeah, get a degree...any degree.

Latest resources

Back