• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation degree/Non-Aviation degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Which is the best option for a young person who wants to pursue a career as a pilot?

• Aviation degree

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Non-Aviation degree

Votes: 155 71.1%

• Total voters
I went to ERAU, too...

"I came out of the number one aviation school in the country (Embry-Riddle), and was already prepared to fly jets"

I'm glad you did well in your airlines training program. I did fine, too, but I don't give the credit to ERAU. The aviation classes were okay but they were in 1981 and I got hired at UPS in 1990. Honestly, what helped me the most in my UPS initial was all the experience I gained in the years between ERAU and UPS.

Too say you come out of ERAU "already prepared to fly jets"...is...well....I'll resist the urge to flame and just say it's inaccurate.

In my humble opinion as a 13th year 727 pilot at UPS....no one comes out of ERAU ready to fly jets. You can take that direct entry BS and stuff it....there is NO substitute for experience gained in the real world and you don't have much of that at 300 hours.

Non Aviation Degree!!!

The biggest mistake I made so far was to spend 4 years and thousands of dollars for an aviation degree at ERAU.

I spent all of my money and accrued massive debt to get through that school and was hanging on to my dream by a shoestring when the industry dropped. That was the straw that broke my back and I had to settle for another future or look forward to making a whole 30-40K in 10 years while getting more into debt. So I reluctantly chose the later as I simply was out of money and needed to pay off my loans. I have now been looking for a professional job for a year using my “BS”degree to no avail. “You have a degree in what?” “From where?” they say. “What is Embry Riddle.” Through the last year I have lowered my standards all the way down to the people I used to judge while I was in flight training. The car salesmen, furniture salesmen, and many others thinking I was somehow on a different level. Soon I will have one of these jobs (if I can qualify). Now I’m looking at paying off all of my school loans while doing something I don’t like, in fact downright hate. I know this sounds depressing but there’s no way to sugar coat it, believe me I’ve tried. When you put all your eggs in one basket and those eggs break, that’s the end of the story…DON’T DO IT!!!

Get a degree in something specialized you can use in the real world. If I had another go at it, I would look into Engineering or Architecture or Business or basically your second love after flight. I would go to a well-known school in all industries, not just in aviation.

By getting a degree in your “second love” you will always have a backup plan you can use and can fly for fun.

FlyChicaga said:
Well, he IS from Riddle.
Hey! On another thread you can't say this because its poking fun and somebody decided that was just wrong! Whatever.

Nice one, I needed the laugh!

Most of the replies that are against an aviation degree don’t know what they are talking about. Posters that think and aviation degree is useless should go to the web site of one of the university/college schools that offer degrees in aviation. Look at the required courses for an aviation degree in management and compare to a business degree. Here, I will save you time and list just a few.

Aviation Management Degree: English Composition I & II, Contemporary Issues In Business Administration I & II, Statistics For business, Financial Accounting, Micro & Macroeconomics, Physics I & II & Lab, Managerial Accounting, Principle of Marketing, Business Writing, Business Law, Principle of Finance. Wow!!!! The exact course subjects that is required for a BS, Business Administration.

Don’t know why an aviation degree should not work in a down turn. The problem with most prospective employers is lack of knowledge as to what subject’s are/ were required for an aviation degree. If you hold a degree in aviation, you need to emphases the course that is required for a degree in Aviation Management.

During an interview for a managerial position, I actually had the interviewer comment: “Because of flight training, a person with a pilots license is most likely better qualified to handle any situation, that might come up, than a non pilot,” By the Way, yes I did get the job because I are a pilot.(sic)

Curricula

CFI'er said:
Aviation Management Degree: English Composition I & II, Contemporary Issues In Business Administration I & II, Statistics For business, Financial Accounting, Micro & Macroeconomics, Physics I & II & Lab, Managerial Accounting, Principle of Marketing, Business Writing, Business Law, Principle of Finance. Wow!!!! The exact course subjects that is required for a BS, Business Administration . . . . .
Too bad that course(s) in American Labor Movement, etc., aren't included. I'd strongly recommend for either major to take such courses as electives.

I always liked how Riddle required students to take comp courses. Having strong writing skills, especially report preparation, letter-writing and resume preparation, are important skills that pilots need.

Last edited:
Labor classes

Too bad that course(s) in American Labor Movement, etc., aren't included. I'd strongly recommend for either major to take such courses as electives.

As part of my BS-Aviation Business Administration degree at ERAU (with an area of concentration in Airport Management), I was required to take courses in both Human Resource Management and Aviation Labor Relations. I believe labor relations is an elective now.

I agree with you about formal writing skills - I had business communications, technical report writing, and other courses where there was a strong emphasis on clear and succinct writing.

I am in the flight program at Central Washington University. Who did you talk to? Dale Wilson? Well After listening to speaches from people high up in the airlines I can honestly say I don't believe a major in flight officer is that important. It does help a little but the airlines are looking for well balanced people. It is kind of nice because you get all your ratings durring college. I am required to also minor in something else in case flying doesnt work out for what ever reason. And just because you fly doesnt mean you cant enjoy the college experience. Just dont drink the 3 nights a week that you have flights the next day or just drink a little. ;) But anyway a degree in flying isn't THAT importamt, but it does have it's benefits.

Re: Curricula

bobbysamd said:
I always liked how Riddle required students to take comp courses.

Actually, most colleges require students to take Engl/Comp 1 and 2 or equivilant as part of their Gen. Ed. curriculum for most majors of study. Schools that don't require it are more the exception than the rule.

Last edited:
Curricula

dmspilot00 said:
Actually, most colleges require students to take Engl/Comp 1 and 2 or equivilant as part of their Gen. Ed. curriculum for most majors of study. Schools that don't require it are more the exception than the rule.
Well, sure, but I mean more advanced courses than English 101/102. Something like Technical Writing and Business Communications. Journalism. Even Public Speaking.

Students usually take some of those too. Just because I said they have to take Engl. Comp 1 & 2 doesn't mean those are the only ones.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I am merely pointing out that ERAU's gen. ed. requirements are not special and are actually typical of any other college.

I understand and appreciate what you're saying, however. It is almost too bad that some colleges require such a large number of general education courses and electives, because I would have more respect for a person who took certain courses on his/her own because they wanted, rather than someone who only took them because he/she was required to. Many students complain about taking courses that aren't related to their major, and that they won't use in their job, and it is very irritating. Students are supposed to go to college in order to get an education, not a job!

When I started college I was initially an aero. engineering major, and hated it because there was little room for electives and courses that weren't associated with engineering. Basically the major was the opposite of "diverse" and "well-rounded." In order to graduate I would have needed 142 credits, probably 80% engineering. Most courses of study only have about 120-125 total with close to 50% for the major. And they expected students to finish 142 credits in four years??? Students with 120-credit majors usually don't even finish in four years anymore.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back