• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation degree/Non-Aviation degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Which is the best option for a young person who wants to pursue a career as a pilot?

• Aviation degree

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Non-Aviation degree

Votes: 155 71.1%

• Total voters
BS Math - USNA
MS Aviation Systems - UTSI

When I retired from the military, I went to a regional. They asked if I had a degree, they didn't ask what it was in.

I left the airlines after two years and got hired at a multi-national energy company managing their aviation contracts (fixed and rotary wing). After I was hired, I was talking with my boss and he was impressed that I had a Masters in aviation systems. However, he didn't pick up on it in the job interview. That tells me that he didn't really care one way or the other.

I just hired an assistant (starting right at 100K). I can't tell you what his degree was in, except that I know it wasn't an aviation degree. His 20 years flying in the military, and the management experience he acquired there is why we hired him. Aviation knowledge is a baseline that employers require. Demonstrated management experience is why folks get hired. Management degrees and aviation degrees are nice, but experience is preferred. It helps to be able to interview well too.

I think we should look at what the airlines want, not just a back up plan. In in an interview a couple months ago the Chief pilot seemed disappointed that all I had was 6 yrs. experience working at the airport and didn't really know any other profession. I majored in Geographic Information Systems, but it didn't seem to matter because I didn't get a job doing anything with GIS. Airlines want a well rounded person who can "think outside the box."

Aviation degree

Aviation Operations - Maintenance Management from San Jose State University. Who wants to sit through something non aviation related... on the other side of the coin I got an A&P certificate and a management related degree so it seems to be a decent tradeoff.

The A&P is making me money right now while I work on ratings and I plan to continue using it long after I become a career pilot, an unused A&P certificate becomes more worthless as time goes on. I know people who got theirs years ago and haven't laid a hand on a rivet gun since. The truth behind a "backup plan" is that you have to spend just as much time developing it as you do "plan A," or it wont make a very good backup.

I'm a Safety Science major at Riddle Daytona...it focuses on occupational and workplace health/safety as a core, and then branches off into aircraft safety and accident investigation.

Its a good balance of aviation and non aviation, and a viable backup plan. There is also the ATC minor (the CTI program which around 20? schools offer)...tho ATC is going the way of the airlines with pay and QOL.

time builder said:
I think we should look at what the airlines want, not just a back up plan. In in an interview a couple months ago the Chief pilot seemed disappointed that all I had was 6 yrs. experience working at the airport and didn't really know any other profession. I majored in Geographic Information Systems, but it didn't seem to matter because I didn't get a job doing anything with GIS. Airlines want a well rounded person who can "think outside the box."
I guess the thousands of pilots who have done nothing but fly since they were 17 are SOL then...

Aviation degrees are worthless. Airlines don't care what your degree is in. You can take that aviation degree and 3 bucks and buy a cup of coffee when you get furloughed. Get degree in a non -aviation career field like engineering, accounting, etc.

inline said:
Aviation degrees are worthless. Airlines don't care what your degree is in. You can take that aviation degree and 3 bucks and buy a cup of coffee when you get furloughed. Get degree in a non -aviation career field like engineering, accounting, etc.

Well, you can still stay in aviation and do airport management/fbo management etc. Airtran has a lot of interesting positions (non-flying) that say "degree in aviation or business management preferred". It's still better than nothing. You can also work for your local airport authority.

Will you have time to flight train and pursue a non-aviation related degree at the same time so that by the time you are 22-23 you will have a Bachelors and all your ratings through MEI completed?

If that is the case then definitely go with a non-aviation degree.

I went to a community college for two years, which was pretty easy to get a 3.3 GPA or higher each semester and I earned my Commercial Multi by age 20.

My last two years I transferred to another college to finish my business degree and would fly on weekends (around 10 hours a month or so it seemed) and earned my CFI & CFII by the time I was 22.

Latest resources

Back