• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Avbugs advetures and experiences

• Who wants avbug to write a book?

Votes: 111 43.7%
  • Who doesn't want avbug to write a book?

Votes: 31 12.2%
  • Who doesn't care if he writes a book?

Votes: 104 40.9%
  • Who wiil support him financially if he writes the book?

Votes: 18 7.1%

• Total voters
Avbug is really Martha King.

I wondered why my nipples got hard when I read his posts. :D

Minh

Yipster,

I never said the Wrights weren't the first to master flying (but you're right...they weren't...they built on the success of others, like all pioneers). I did say they weren't the first to perform powered flight...which of course, they weren't.

Snakum, you're scarin' me, man.

Bugchaser, right after we corresponded, my employment went belly up, or is on the fast track, and I had to do some fast searching. Presently I'm tacked onto something that's not very certain, but I don't have the seniority or leverage to get the season off...probably won't see a smoke but from a distance, this year. (Sucks).

It's all about paying the alimony.

The Dromader is popular because it is cheap (it's POLISH!!)...in SEAT operations it is $300-$400 an hour cheaper than most other SEAT aircraft.
Avbug, if you ever get a chance to fly the M18 with a Lycoming T53-L7, PT6 or Garrett you will find it is a little better than the PZL round engine but overall the airplane is still a cheap piece of **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** that carries somewhat of a load.
These things were put out to pasture in the SEAT role because nobody wants to do real ag work with them. Hopefully they found a home there with the OAS. :)

Stupid question: <sheepishly> What is SEAT?

:confused:

Thanks!

Lownslow,

I was flying the M18 T45R, which is the dromader with the PT6-45R motor. The dromader is a fine airplane. It was the eastern block production of the thrush, origionally. It's bigger, hauls more, has a better wing, and I think, is a better airplane.

This particular drom was heavily modified, with changes to all systems. It had different brakes, fuel, hopper, instrumentation, engine, and mods to the structure such as lengthened stinger, etc.

The Dromader flight and maintenance manuals are the only one's I've ever reviewed that were prefaced with the statement, "Nothing in this manual should be relied upon, or believed."

That says a lot.

Simply because they're low cost doesn't mean they're substandard, however. It's worth noting that a lot of very expensive air tractors have come apart...a friend of mine was killed in one last year. Three droms have lost wings, all the result of people complying with the wing attach fitting AD, and then overtorquing the fasteners.

It's also worth noting that in each case, a wing separated in flight, and the pilot walked away. There aren't many airplanes that this can be said about.

I was hauling 600 gallons in the airplane at density altitudes approaching nine to ten thousand feet and higher. That's just the departure...the airplane did just fine. I was dropping above 12,000 density altitude, and the airplane did fine.

avbug said:
Lownslow, This particular drom was heavily modified, with changes to all systems. It had different brakes, fuel, hopper, instrumentation, engine, and mods to the structure such as lengthened stinger, etc.
last year.

With heavy modification ($$$) a Dromader can be a very good airplane, I flew one with the Lycming T53-7, Cleveland wheels & brakes, updated instrumentaion...etc, far much (MUCH!!) better than the radial but it was STILL a Dromader. It is a funky dinky flying airplane that requires a whole lot of maintenance, IMO.

As far as the Air Tractor's falling apart, I was thinking that there have been only two with the wing spar failures? I am not aware of any more than that. While on this note I am not happy with the wing life of 1,600 hrs on the 502 and believe the factory should be at least accountabele for most of the cost...upwards of &15k for the fail safe system, yeeouch.

Reading the post here, I gather that Bugchaser is from Texas, are you from out that way also? I have worked a couple of seasons in Texas on the boll weevil program and may know you or of you guys. Untill my card expired this year I was also a SEAT pilot and may you from that area also.

I am new on this site but have enjoyed your post thus far.

No wevil work, but I had an offer to sit a BWEP contract last year, and turned it down. I haven't done any spraying in Texas.

About half the SEAT contracts this year specifically call for the AT-802, and most of them are calling for turbines. I don't think any carded aircraft will be sitting idle this year, though. Those that don't secure a contract will go out CWN. But next year, or the one following...that's another matter.

Some big changes are in the works, everything from annoying requirements such as repainting the fleet, to specific airframe requirements, drop system changes, a new requirement coming to physically attend a preseason school, etc.

A friend is supposed to be bringing in eight AT-802's this year, and I heard that the drom I flew last year may be getting a -67 engine. It couldn't hurt, anyway. We shall see.

Latest resources

Back