• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because he says the comparison is laughable he has too big an ego to fly with anyone else? Interesting.

The comparison between Avantair and Southwest is not laughable. Southwest did not start as the powerhouse that it is now. Southwest had it's share of speed-bumps on it's way to the top. I have two good friends that fly for Southwest, and his condescending attitude is not typical of the pilots at Southwest. Universally, every Southwest pilot that I've ever spoken with wishes Avantair well in our struggle to grow.

I don't know who that guy is, or who he flies for. I'll stuck by my previous statement. His post is insulting to me as an Avantair pilot.

The comparison between Avantair and Southwest is not laughable. Southwest did not start as the powerhouse that it is now. Southwest had it's share of speed-bumps on it's way to the top. I have two good friends that fly for Southwest, and his condescending attitude is not typical of the pilots at Southwest. Universally, every Southwest pilot that I've ever spoken with wishes Avantair well in our struggle to grow.

I don't know who that guy is, or who he flies for. I'll stuck by my previous statement. His post is insulting to me as an Avantair pilot.

More insulting than the comparison between the companies was the payscale. The payscale is extremely insulting. You work 7 days in a row and get paid regional pilot wages, that is insulting. As a former fractional pilot I know how demanding that job is and I feel the compensation is not close to standard.
I do wish Avantair luck, however, I feel that if you are going to survive you are going to get bought out. In reviewing the finances of AAIR it does not look promising.

Let me clue you in junior. You are a meat based airplane part to the folks that really make the decisions at Avantair. The sooner that you start to understand that you only have one obligation; that is to yourself and your family, the better off you'll be. You need to stop worrying about "Avantair's struggle to grow" and work on getting a job that actually pays you for your professional services.

You sir - are a perfect example of why the piloting profession has gone downhill like a rocket sled on rails. It actually make me ill to read posts like yours where pilots make excuses for the crap that is dished out at low-rent places like Avantair.

88,654. That's the number on my W-2. I'm okay with it. Who the hell are you or anyone else to tell me that's not enough? Maybe we should ask some of the NetJet guys...maybe some of the 495?

No dis-respect to NetJets, just saying some people have it MUCH worse. To make fun of my pay is like making fun of a womans wedding ring for being too small or a guys house for being in a crap neighborhood. Its bad form. I'm happy you fly a shiney jet for a kabillion dollars.

I fly a silly turbo prop at FL410 at 400 kts on 90 gallons an hour and make more than furloughed pilots AND Flight Options pilots. Go rank on them for awhile before you come digging on Avantair.

Glass,

The shame is that you don't see that if I was putting in the amount of hours you are, I'd be making double that. I still consider myself under-paid even at that rate.

88,654. That's the number on my W-2. I'm okay with it. Who the hell are you or anyone else to tell me that's not enough? Maybe we should ask some of the NetJet guys...maybe some of the 495?

No dis-respect to NetJets, just saying some people have it MUCH worse. To make fun of my pay is like making fun of a womans wedding ring for being too small or a guys house for being in a crap neighborhood. Its bad form. I'm happy you fly a shiney jet for a kabillion dollars.

I fly a silly turbo prop at FL410 at 400 kts on 90 gallons an hour and make more than furloughed pilots AND Flight Options pilots. Go rank on them for awhile before you come digging on Avantair.

As a 495er I made 20 grand more this year flying a mustang 10 days per month than you did flying 7 and 7. I thought I was underpaid. That is pathetic. This is the problem with the industry, there is always someone who will do it for less. Cheap labor. Guess it will not matter though, take a look at the finances of AAIR on yahoo finance. You need more capital or your company will be done soon.

I'll use a different color to make my responses easier to read. NYJets green will do the trick...

The internet forum format might just be the greatest idea ever. Normally we'd be having this discussion over a beer someplace. In lieu of that, here's my final post of the evening.

I'm going to respond to you with a post that's free of insults, digs, and comes complete with responses that come straight from my heart.

Let me clue you in junior. Being 43, I'm not old, but not what you'd call a Spring Chicken, either. Not sure that calling me "junior" works here.

You are a meat based airplane part to the folks that really make the decisions at Avantair. This is where you're mistaken, on a philosophical level. But, your point highlights one of the things that set us apart from every other Frac operator out there. We're not (the pilot group), just "meat" that's necessary in order for the butttons to get pushed. We're people, and the Management around here knows that. Read on for an example.

The sooner that you start to understand that you only have one obligation; that is to yourself and your family, the better off you'll be. Touchy subject there, my friend. My daughter (which, actually, is the entire composition of my family) is my number one obligation. Our Pilot Services department bends over backwards to make sure that I'm home from WHEREVER in order to pick her up from school on Monday, in time to bring her home with me so that she can come over and live at my home during my off-week. Still sound like a company that only cares only about themselves?

You need to stop worrying about "Avantair's struggle to grow" and work on getting a job that actually pays you for your professional services. I did my time in the 121 world and decided that somewhere out there were greener pastures someplace. I'm not knocking the 121 folks, it just turned out to be what I wasn't looking for. There are so many aspects of Frac life that are awesome; seemingly tailored me, that I am here to stay. And yes, with Avantair.

You sir - are a perfect example of why the piloting profession has gone downhill like a rocket sled on rails. Thank you for calling me "Sir". However, I have nothing to do with why our career field has slid down the $hitter. In fact, I think the Frac industry is directly responsible for bringging us back to a level of respectability. Well, at least getting us headed in the right direction.

It actually make me ill to read posts like yours where pilots make excuses for the crap that is dished out at low-rent places like Avantair.
You're confusing Avantair for a "low-rent" operator. Again, we're still a relatively new company that's trying to establish itself in an incredibly competitive market. And, it's not exactly a stabile market. Even as we try to adapt to the carrent market, it changes into something different, even before our modifications can even be put into place.

I really need to go to bed now. Thanks for the discussion. I'll take a look at the thread in the morning and see what's popped up.

Let me clue you in junior. You are a meat based airplane part to the folks that really make the decisions at Avantair. The sooner that you start to understand that you only have one obligation; that is to yourself and your family, the better off you'll be. You need to stop worrying about "Avantair's struggle to grow" and work on getting a job that actually pays you for your professional services.

You sir - are a perfect example of why the piloting profession has gone downhill like a rocket sled on rails. It actually make me ill to read posts like yours where pilots make excuses for the crap that is dished out at low-rent places like Avantair.

Dude

That is so F***king true

...and I'll bet that's that's net of the 401(k) contribution.

If I hadn't retired, I'd be pushing 100K.

Wow. Yup, this is Flightinfo.

Okay, let's sum this up.
Those of us from Avantair who post here, like our jobs.(mostly)
Some who are not from Avantair wish we were paid more. Great! So do I!
And as our company grows, we will work on that.

I'm glad we could all reach a consensus based agreement on the topic at hand.

Latest resources

Back