Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair thriving in this economic downturn...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I found this on AINonline. Nice to see someone doing well. Makes sense in this economy and I am sure the number of shares will grow more and more given the great fuel efficiency of the airplane. Downsizing seems to be a big trend among the rich these days (i.e., houses, cars and airplanes) - at least for now. I realize Avantair has frozen its hiring - any word on when future hiring could restart and which domiciles would most likely be offered? Which domiciles are likely to be full/closed?

Avantair Flying High in Face of Recession
As the larger fractional ownership operations lay off employees and/or reduce aircraft delivery rates, Clearwater, Fla.-based Avantair is watching its fleet of 53 Avantis and Avanti IIs grow as quickly as Italian manufacturer Piaggio can deliver them, with six more due before year-end. CEO Steven Santo attributes the growth to economic conditions and the operating economics of the twin-turboprop Avanti, which has a cabin equivalent to that of a midsize business jet, a max cruise speed of more than 400 knots and low fuel burn. “Economic conditions are kind of forcing people to look for better alternatives in private aircraft travel and they’re finding us,” Santo said. Approximately 80 percent of those flocking to Avantair are coming from other jet-aircraft fractional programs, he added. The company’s revenue in the first quarter was up 15.7 percent. To entice even more converts, Avantair recently introduced the Axis Club Membership, under which members can fly for as low as $2,867 per hour. “This is based on a special program we are running where you receive five bonus hours for each flight block you purchase up front,” a company spokeswoman told AIN.

I found this on AINonline. Nice to see someone doing well. Makes sense in this economy and I am sure the number of shares will grow more and more given the great fuel efficiency of the airplane. Downsizing seems to be a big trend among the rich these days (i.e., houses, cars and airplanes) - at least for now. I realize Avantair has frozen its hiring - any word on when future hiring could restart and which domiciles would most likely be offered? Which domiciles are likely to be full/closed?

Avantair Flying High in Face of Recession
As the larger fractional ownership operations lay off employees and/or reduce aircraft delivery rates, Clearwater, Fla.-based Avantair is watching its fleet of 53 Avantis and Avanti IIs grow as quickly as Italian manufacturer Piaggio can deliver them, with six more due before year-end. CEO Steven Santo attributes the growth to economic conditions and the operating economics of the twin-turboprop Avanti, which has a cabin equivalent to that of a midsize business jet, a max cruise speed of more than 400 knots and low fuel burn. “Economic conditions are kind of forcing people to look for better alternatives in private aircraft travel and they’re finding us,” Santo said. Approximately 80 percent of those flocking to Avantair are coming from other jet-aircraft fractional programs, he added. The company’s revenue in the first quarter was up 15.7 percent. To entice even more converts, Avantair recently introduced the Axis Club Membership, under which members can fly for as low as $2,867 per hour. “This is based on a special program we are running where you receive five bonus hours for each flight block you purchase up front,” a company spokeswoman told AIN.

Can't say that I am surprised. I think I heard 5-6 different Avantair aircraft while flying in the Northeast today. You hear a lot more of those flights these days as their popularity is growing. That Piaggio is a great performer over short distances and it has some real ramp appeal. One thing is for certain: you can hear them from miles away - it has a distinctive whine that reminds me of a P-51 Mustang.

That's great news! Good to hear everything is going well with you guys. I always thought they sounded like a Challenger 601 with its backup wind generator hanging out the front. Very distinct whine from the ground. I hear them flying into LUV all the time.

What a relief for the Avantair families! I do hope your management is compensating the pilots in accordance with their professional responsibilities and contribution to the company's success, especially considering that other frac pilots have been furloughed (or face that risk) at the companies your new customers are leaving. Hopefully, the economy rebounds this year and business improves at all of the fracs. NJW

What a relief for the Avantair families! I do hope your management is compensating the pilots in accordance with their professional responsibilities and contribution to the company's success, especially considering that other frac pilots have been furloughed (or face that risk) at the companies your new customers are leaving. Hopefully, the economy rebounds this year and business improves at all of the fracs. NJW

We're taken care of pretty nicely by the management. There's no "butting of heads" like can happen at other operators sometimes. Noone is getting taken advantage of here. We had to tighten the belts a little while back, and the cost-cutting measures worked wonderfully! It's interesting that you bring up "Avantair families"... I've got more confidence that I'll be able to provide for my 4 year-old than I've ever had. (In an aviation job... how about that!) However, nobody at our company- pilots, management, admin, maintainence, or whatever is happy that some of our business has inadvertantly come at the expense of others at the other operators. Some people will say "that's just the nature of doing business", but it's kind of different in the Fractional industry. There are enough well-off folks for everyone. I've written before that if we can just ride out the current economic conditions for a little while longer, things will return to being good for everyone. I still believe that, and also believe thay 2010 will be a return to prosperity for everyone.

... I've got more confidence that I'll be able to provide for my 4 year-old than I've ever had. (In an aviation job... how about that!) However, nobody at our company- pilots, management, admin, maintainence, or whatever is happy that some of our business has inadvertantly come at the expense of others at the other operators. Some people will say "that's just the nature of doing business", but it's kind of different in the Fractional industry. There are enough well-off folks for everyone. I've written before that if we can just ride out the current economic conditions for a little while longer, things will return to being good for everyone. I still believe that, and also believe thay 2010 will be a return to prosperity for everyone.

“Economic conditions are kind of forcing people to look for better alternatives in private aircraft travel and they’re finding us,” CEO Steven Santo said. Approximately 80 percent of those flocking to Avantair are coming from other jet-aircraft fractional programs, he added."

"We are pleased....Furthermore, the current market environment serves to highlight our position as the lowest-cost and most fuel-efficient provider in the Light Jet market, attracting an increasing number of customers from competing fractional programs, as they continue to seek a more affordable alternative."

One of these things is not like the other..........

I'm pretty sure Mr. Santo is referring to one company increasing it's business as compared to another company losing some of it's business. What I'm talking about is those of us grinding the gears, making the wheels of the operation turn every day. In other words, the individuals within the company. I certainly don't wan't to see a single person lose pay or lose any of his/her family's level of security because of one company's sucess versus another company's struggles. That's the best that I can do for a clairification.

We're taken care of pretty nicely by the management. ... Noone is getting taken advantage of here. I'm glad to hear that. There's always a fear that low wages will be used to undercut those seeking to raise the bar for the industry. We had to tighten the belts a little while back, and the cost-cutting measures worked wonderfully! Hopefully it will at NJ, too. I think all of the fracs can learn something from each other. It's interesting that you bring up "Avantair families"... The well-being of all our frac families is on my mind a lot, thus in my posts. I think it's important to include the family perspective in industry discussions here at FI. I've got more confidence that I'll be able to provide for my 4 year-old than I've ever had. (In an aviation job... how about that!) Very good news, especially in this economy. Tell your 4 yr old (son,daughter?) a lady on the computer says "Hello!" :) However, nobody at our company- ... is happy that some of our business has inadvertantly come at the expense of others at the other operators. ... Thanks for expressing that. I'm glad you understand that my happiness for Avantair is tempered by worry for the others. There are enough well-off folks for everyone. I've written before that if we can just ride out the current economic conditions for a little while longer, things will return to being good for everyone. I still believe that, and also believe thay 2010 will be a return to prosperity for everyone.

I second your hopes and positive outlook, Aft. Actually, I think Avantair's growth is a good omen for the entire industry. With all the talk of flying being down I had the impression that many of the pax weren't flying private aviation at all. I'm glad that's not strictly true. It means that the industry hasn't fallen as far as I thought and won't have as far to go climbing back up. Best wishes to the Avantair pilots and their families, NJW

Sure, no one is happy about others losing business. I was just correcting your statement that "some of our business has inadvertantly come at the expense of others at the other operators" when in fact, most of your business (80%) has specifically come from other jet operators in the industry. Your success and family security comes at the expense of others. It's certainly not your fault, it's just business. It led to the success of Southwest and demise of others.

I've posted this before, but I'll post again as it seems fitting to this conversation:

Avantair is like a pizza joint. I had a friend who owned a pizza restaurant. He loved the job security because when times were good poor folks who would otherwise stay home to eat would then splurge and go out. Guess where they went...pizza.

When times were bad rich people who always ate out would scale back and instead of an expensive meal would now get pizza. Either way, he had a steady stream of customers.

Avantair is like that. When times are booming we attract newcomers to private air travel. When times are tough (like now) then the people who were eating fillet mingon scale back and eat our pizza.

It is my opinion that you never want to serve the very top or the very bottom of any market for this very reason. Serve the middle if you want to weather all storms.

To tie this in to the present conversation; it's not our fault people are looking for more value these days. The days of excess and gross displays of wealth will probably come back, not to worry. But you can't blame the pizza shop when Mr. and Mrs. High Dollar decide to forgo steak and lobster and get delivery instead.

Gonna go eat some pizza now...

gp

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back