• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair Monkey Radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i was told long ago that SS said the capt was to fly all the pax legs, maybe not everybody got that word but it was out there, if every other leg is a repo...half the flying is empty, and as I heard it the gear failed

Funny...

Besides you still have to cut the mustard at Flight Safety....

If I may....

I'm not so sure that "cut the mustard" accurately describes what one must do do complete FSI training.

In my limited experience in a few A/C types, I can assure you that those marginal attendees were spoon-fed and hand-held enough to complete their GS, 61.157, 61.58 and 135 checks.

I don't necessarily agree with it but FSI coddles "customers" more than they should in some instances.

So I wouldn't use the FSI seal of approval for my method of attrition for hiring.

More often than not, I think you'll find that company training and check airman will have to give the final axe to those who lack the skills necessary to be an effective crew member.

Just speaking from experience...

Oh yeah, and there's no 61.157 type ride for the Piaggio, so all that needs to be completed is the 91K/135 PIC or SIC checks....

Granted it's a new A/C for FSI, but it is what it is....

Last edited:
maybe i'm slow..i don't know. but what does having "more piaggio experience" have to do with landing at intl airports. i seriously think that somebody thought that sounded good. if the FO's are experienced, which mgmt has said themselves, but lack piaggio experience compared to the captains....then wouldn't you think that the proper place for the FO's to get comfortable with the airplane would be airports which they have frequented before. airports which have an average of 10000' in length and 175' in width. an airport where the captains can easily back up the FO and handle the radio congestion at the same time. as opposed to say....bermuda dunes. a place which shares about the same width as my sidewalk. and of course, short. seriously I DO NOT GET IT. i feel sorry for the FO's who sit there having to bite their tongues and sit on their hands. And just a pet peeve of mine, which i see some, but not alot of FO's do, and saw alot of CAs when i was an FO is..................WHEN YOU ARE AT A BIG AIRPORT LIKE ORD EWR IAD PHX, ETC,....YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL TOWER AND TELL THEM YOU ARE READY FOR TAKEOFF.....THEY KNOW!!!!! which is why ATC responds with, "UH UH thanks." i would think with all that piaggio experience, we would all know that by now. sorry, i don't mean to be mean. i just had to get it out.

maybe i'm slow..i don't know. but what does having "more piaggio experience" have to do with landing at intl airports. i seriously think that somebody thought that sounded good. if the FO's are experienced, which mgmt has said themselves, but lack piaggio experience compared to the captains....then wouldn't you think that the proper place for the FO's to get comfortable with the airplane would be airports which they have frequented before. airports which have an average of 10000' in length and 175' in width. an airport where the captains can easily back up the FO and handle the radio congestion at the same time. as opposed to say....bermuda dunes. a place which shares about the same width as my sidewalk. and of course, short. seriously I DO NOT GET IT. i feel sorry for the FO's who sit there having to bite their tongues and sit on their hands. And just a pet peeve of mine, which i see some, but not alot of FO's do, and saw alot of CAs when i was an FO is..................WHEN YOU ARE AT A BIG AIRPORT LIKE ORD EWR IAD PHX, ETC,....YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL TOWER AND TELL THEM YOU ARE READY FOR TAKEOFF.....THEY KNOW!!!!! which is why ATC responds with, "UH UH thanks." i would think with all that piaggio experience, we would all know that by now. sorry, i don't mean to be mean. i just had to get it out.

On that note... Also!!!! You don't have to tell the controller your heading or routing every time you change frequencies, they already know!!!! Stop doing that!!! You don't even have to tell them the altitude you are climbing, or descending thru when you change frequencies UNLESS the frequency change is to a NEW FACILITY (just say XXX climbing to FLxxx). For example, changing from Miami Center to Jax Center, or from a Departure to Center, you have to tell them passing altitudes so they can verify the information they have. If you are changing from ATL to ATL, for example, you don't have to tell them, they already have verified the Mode C. So stop checking in with a laundry list every time... ;)

HS

HSDriver

You are only partially correct about freq changes.

Read AIM 5-3-1.

Not lets get back on topic instead of radio phraseology.

maybe i'm slow..i don't know. but what does having "more piaggio experience" have to do with landing at intl airports. i seriously think that somebody thought that sounded good. if the FO's are experienced, which mgmt has said themselves, but lack piaggio experience compared to the captains....then wouldn't you think that the proper place for the FO's to get comfortable with the airplane would be airports which they have frequented before. airports which have an average of 10000' in length and 175' in width. an airport where the captains can easily back up the FO and handle the radio congestion at the same time. as opposed to say....bermuda dunes. a place which shares about the same width as my sidewalk. and of course, short. seriously I DO NOT GET IT.

Oneeye,

I agree with everything you said here but you must realize that the new policy has absolutely nothing to do with enhancing safety. This is a knee-jerk reaction by our CEO (who is also a lawyer) so he can say "look what we did!" to our owners and invstors. I have yet to meet a pilot at our company (including mgmt and instructor pilots) who think this is a smart idea but I have talked to several pilots (both ca's and fo's) who are looking for other jobs because of it.

Dilligaff

Latest resources

Back