• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair Monkey Radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess I am trying to understand what the big deal is here. Not trying to flame.

If the Avantair FOs fly all of the empty legs or repositioning flights, wouldn't that still add up to maybe a leg or two per day? Sure, that's not ideal because you would want the flexibility to fly the aircraft when you want but still not too bad considering you are training on the aircraft - somebody has to man the radios... If upgrade time is running at 1-2 years, you wouldn't have to wait too long to fly the majority of the flights - right? I guess as long as I would be flying most of the empty legs or repositioning flights I personally would be OK with it so long as the upgrade time was not too long (I could compensate with more than enough legs when I upgrade to PIC).

I guess I am surprised that many FOs would be so upset as to consider quitting in the near term given the relatively quick upgrade time... What is the ugrade time running nowadays?
for example my friend was the monkey radio for 9.0 hrs yesterday and and out of those hrs he was only allowed to fly .5 tell me is thats a lot of BULL

for example my friend was the monkey radio for 9.0 hrs yesterday and and out of those hrs he was only allowed to fly .5 tell me is thats a lot of BULL

Yeah, that sucks. Well, let's hope that management listens to "reason" for once. If enough people leave then management will have to listen I would guess...

I really don't understand why FOs wouldn't be able to fly an empty aircraft into a "metro" area like ATL or LAX. That's ridiculous if that's true... Can someone explain the lawyers' rationale for that one? What have the lawyers or management team members said about that?

Last edited:

Can we find a quicker way to tire a crew?
It's a stupid idea with little or no basis in Human Factors. Can the management at Advil Air really be that reactionary? I thought only NJA wrote SOP's while the ink was drying on the NTSB report.
2 man cockpit, 2 man responsibilities. Any PIC pointing at his FO, needs to return a stripe.

Guess I can scratch communist Avantair off my list of places I might like to work.
What do they consider a "metro" area anyways? Who defines it and how? :confused:

there some F/O more experienced then captains, in avantair.
and you telling me they cant fly. an a airplane only weight 11,500 pounds.
how stupid is that company.....dont go there pilots there more bether places outthere then that.

So lemme get this straight, an F/O was at the controls when an airplane geared up and now F/O's cannot fly? Perhaps the policy should say that captains are not allowed to moniter the PF as they might forget to confirm that the gear is down.

G100, you got it wrong. The gear was down and locked. Allegedly it collapsed as a result of pilot technique - investigation is still under way. Also, FO's are allowed to fly, just under certain circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the lawyers' decision to restrict FO's flying. Actually, I think it's a worthless knee-jerk reaction.

Thanks for setting the record straight. An early post lead me to believe the airplane was geared up.

Good luck there.

I agree with Dilligaf, I think it is a very poor reaction on the lawyers part. However, I can see the reasoning in their panic type move.

Avantair is a one crash company. One airplane goes down and the company is done, period. The Avanti is such an odd looking, high profile airplane, it would be very easy to give it a bad reputation. I just doesnt blend in among the citations, lears, etc...

I have faith that management will work this stuff out. The incident couldnt have come at a worse time being that the company just went public.

Overall it was a slap in the face to me and my fellow pilots, but I sort of understand the "panic" on the part of the lawyers. Like I said, I have faith that management will work things out. However thats not to say I wont keep my resume updated...

Latest resources

Back