Avantair called

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flybet3 said:
Any Idea as to why this is all happening??

Could only speculate. Rumors have it that they are trying to come up with a very large downpayment for a very large order for aircraft.

Flybet3 said:
Any Idea as to why this is all happening??

$$ would be my first obvious guess. I've also heard the layoffs were to downsize and attract "new investors", which would also support the $$ theory.

clambdin: Fact: people have been layed off. Fact: Avanti IIs have been ready at Piaggio for some time now. Rumor: c.o.d issues mentioned by those trying to fix the birds...

Actually........

Actually, the current owner of Avantair is pulling out. It seems as if what was predicted by some is coming true- he took what money he could and is running. Avantair is currently scrambling for new investors. Thats why there's new airplanes sitting and waiting. Be aware, folks, the books can only be cooked so long before the cards fall. The stories I have heard in the last few weeks about how that place is run makes me shake my head. From sources I know inside the company, it would appear scheduling is a mess, accounting is screwing up, owners are getting frustrated, you name it...... Anyone thinking of going to fly there would be well advised to sit and see what happens over the next few months.

Mr. Pebbles said:
Actually, the current owner of Avantair is pulling out. It seems as if what was predicted by some is coming true- he took what money he could and is running. Avantair is currently scrambling for new investors. Thats why there's new airplanes sitting and waiting. Be aware, folks, the books can only be cooked so long before the cards fall. The stories I have heard in the last few weeks about how that place is run makes me shake my head. From sources I know inside the company, it would appear scheduling is a mess, accounting is screwing up, owners are getting frustrated, you name it...... Anyone thinking of going to fly there would be well advised to sit and see what happens over the next few months.

Those are some pretty big assertions. I hope you have some facts to back them up... Layoffs could be due to a previously bloated management structure (cutting out the fat). Avantair is in a good position (strong niche with a great aircraft) and it is growing. Growth can be difficult to manage. I'd like to see some facts related to the owner pulling out, etc.

johnsonrod said:
Those are some pretty big assertions. I hope you have some facts to back them up... Layoffs could be due to a previously bloated management structure (cutting out the fat). Avantair is in a good position (strong niche with a great aircraft) and it is growing. Growth can be difficult to manage. I'd like to see some facts related to the owner pulling out, etc.

I've heard this comment as well about the owner leaving. But number one I'll believe it when I see it, and I doubt everyone in the company is just going to sit and what this company go tits up. They'll come up with something. If I had a nickle for every time I've seen this scenario.

Mr. Pebbles said:

Thats definitely not the whole story of new aircraft sitting on the ground. Fact is that they do not have a Master Minimum Equipment List (MMEL), which is a requirement for Avantair to derive their own Minimum Equipment List (MEL) to pass FAA Conformity, allowing them to be added to the Operators Certificate. This is just another example of the Manufacturer delays. Piaggios initial response to Avantairs question of the MMEL was "thats your problem". Apparently that is also Piaggios problem too because Avantair wont take delivery until the MMEL is provided. Sounds like a screw up from Piaggio.

Heard about new investors but not about the current owner jumping ship. But that has been a rumor on this board the day he bought in to Avantair. I have personally overheard him speak from time to time of adding much larger aircraft to the fleet and looking for investors to accomplish this. If he was planning on leaving, I never sensed that from the conversations, so it would be a shock to see that happen. But, I guess anything is possible. Management really should address these rumors. Things have been quite from them lately, leaving imaginations to run wild.

myrealnameis said:
Thats definitely not the whole story of new aircraft sitting on the ground. Fact is that they do not have a Master Minimum Equipment List (MMEL), which is a requirement for Avantair to derive their own Minimum Equipment List (MEL) to pass FAA Conformity, allowing them to be added to the Operators Certificate. This is just another example of the Manufacturer delays. Piaggios initial response to Avantairs question of the MMEL was "thats your problem". Apparently that is also Piaggios problem too because Avantair wont take delivery until the MMEL is provided. Sounds like a screw up from Piaggio.

Management really should address these rumors. Things have been quite from them lately, leaving imaginations to run wild.

MMEL, true assertion. However, it's the old excuse. Would it not make sense to take delivery of one in order to start getting your crews trained for the coming onslaught of equipment? In addition, all shares in 2 and maybe even 3 have been sold. I'd imagine that the owners would like to see a delivery take place. I've had many ask me about them.

Yes management should address them. But anyone that has any history with avantair knows that this process always repeats itself: rumors start, management's quiet, rumors become reality, managemement goes into their damage control routine. It doesn't take much "imagination" to read between the lines, history always repeats itself.

BTW myrealname, I'm not looking for a flame match with you or anyone else. Just saw alot of activity on here from guys looking to go to avantair. Right now may not be a stable time and that may change, but they should know both sides of the coin. I'm making decent money now and the checks are clearing, but I am starting to wonder.

I spoke with a couple of guys at mx, and the c.o.d. thing is for real with many companies. That's a concern.

P180puke said:
BTW myrealname, I'm not looking for a flame match with you or anyone else. Just saw alot of activity on here from guys looking to go to avantair. Right now may not be a stable time and that may change, but they should know both sides of the coin. I'm making decent money now and the checks are clearing, but I am starting to wonder.

I spoke with a couple of guys at mx, and the c.o.d. thing is for real with many companies. That's a concern.

I personally take anything myrealnameis says with a grain of salt. His intentions may be good, and I have nothing against him, but he has been grossly misinformed in the past. It doesnt make sense to blindly believe everything management tells you when there's a long history of lying and hiding the truth. I know of many ways in which the current owner has been siphoning money from this company.

Excellent point, P180, you dont need an MEL to do training in an aircraft. That comment speaks for itself. Doubtful if a company would just let aircraft sit somewhere else if they had the money to pick them up. Something smells fishy. I heard that Avantair was enroute to pick up the first Avanti2, and Piaggio said "Whoa, this aircraft is going nowhere till we see some money.":beer:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back