• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Au revoir ATR.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Joe, although I never flew the ATR I have been a member of the PTCOA (prop trash club of America) and can feel your pain. The RJ grows on you and given some time it will make you lazy. The FMS is great, learn it well because remember garbage in is garbage out. I hope you guys that are coming over to the 50 can bring some ATR style with you, I was always jealous of the stories!

I'm still waiting for this to be somehow blamed on ALPA or the Delta pilots...

Last edited:
The RJ grows on you and given some time it will make you lazy. The FMS is great, learn it well because remember garbage in is garbage out.

Just wait until the FMS is deferred. You're going to be glad you flew the ATR. Green Needles!!!!!!!!!

You should see the look on the faces of some of the FOs I fly with that have never experienced flying the RJ without the FMS. ----> :confused:

The MEL should mandate an ex ATR pilot as part of the crew for those flights. ;)

Last edited:
Just wait until the FMS is deferred.
You should see the look on the faces of some of the FOs I fly with that have never experienced flying the RJ without the FMS. ----> :confused:

Probably the same look that was on my face as a Captain when my FMS was deferred. I had to go digging through my flight case to find my High/Low charts and blow off the dust. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, kinda made me feel like a real pilot again!

I always will have a special spot in my heart for the ATR... It was my first "big" airplane (TSA in the late '90s). Gotta love an airplane where the word "wild" refers to the electrical system!

The ATR certianly eased my transistion to the airline world... Those trailing link gear made even my landings look good! Now, if I could just figure out the Dash 8!

Anyhow, good luck guys. Au Revoir Frenchie!

That is nothing compaired to the look on the CA's face in the 70 over 4 courners enroute to Oakland, Ca. I just drew a line on the High Alt to the arrival fix and cross checked the radial/DME and walla, majic. That is how we did it on the mil aircraft I was flying. The guy I flew with was absolutely dumbfounded as he wanted to declare an emergency. When we got into Oakland, we told the new crew that the FMF was differred and they refused to take the aircraft and cancelled the flight. Panzies!

On the ATR note, I flew 1200 in the beast and loved every minute of it. It fly's like my Cherokee Six and was just great aircraft. I had a blast with the old crews, the Flemmings:eek: , and even Joe. The 70 was fun but the ATR trips were the best.

I had a blast with the old crews, the Flemmings:eek: , and even Joe. The 70 was fun but the ATR trips were the best.[/quote]

Flemming was my sim partner for the transition.

To the suprise of the RJ instructors, who all seemed to regard him as a living legend, he did really well. He programmed the FMS with no problems, and aced his oral and checkride. He worked his butt off, and he was a great sim partner to have. He can fly.

One more thing: The jet training guys were good. We got off to a shaky start with one of the DGS ground school guys who knew nothing about the airplane, but all of the actual ASA employees that we interacted with were great. I'm afraid that I'm not going to have realistic expectations if I ever go through training somewhere other than ASA. Both of my major training events at ASA have been quality experiences.

Latest resources

Back