• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Au revoir ATR.....

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Total Time
14000+
After 14 years and 10,000 hours....I set the parking brake for the last time on my ATR....I walked away with a tear in my eye....She will be missed....

Now if I could just muster up some SJS....but I can't seem to get any SJS.....

Who would have ever thought I would miss anything from France....

:beer:

Last edited:

USCtrojan

Banned
KolobWestwind
Total Time
Mucho
After 14 years and 10,000 hours....I set the parking brake for the last time on my ATR....She will be missed....

Who would have ever thought I would miss anything from France....

It has a face only a mother could love. I wish we weren't getting rid of it Joe, you're gonna bump me back. :beer:

Trojan

WalterSobchak

Am I wrong?
Total Time
40+/wk
Joe, don't know ya...but I know how fond you are of that big beast. Here's to hoping you can learn to like flying the CRJ one-eighth as much as you seem to have enjoyed flying the ATR...

Sig

Total Time
100%
Met the guy that bought most of them. They will be worked by ex-pats, and he was a class act himself.

I'm NOT looking forward to the same situation- ie, there isn't a backup type my airline flies to acclimate to....

Salukipilot4590

IS WE ON TV?
Total Time
I really wish I could have flown one at some point in my life...

Abernathy

Truthiness
Total Time
Lots
Those were some good times on the ATR. Looks like the last flight's scheduled to come in from PFN this evening.

C425Driver

Total Time

No SJS, Joe? All you need to do is spike your hair, put on some pretty-boy wide-framed shades, and strut through the terminal wearing your iPod and a backpack and you should have instant SJS.

rf285

Total Time
It was my favorite aircraft at ASA while I was there. Beats the barbie jet anyday of of the week. Very comfortable cockpit. Sad to see it go.

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
Joe,

Having an APU blowing cold air in your face next summer should help ease the transition.

....and don't forget the "250 Below 10 Rule" comes into play now.

Cheers to the ATR. :beer:

PooPooPants

Total Time
Joe, although I never flew the ATR I have been a member of the PTCOA (prop trash club of America) and can feel your pain. The RJ grows on you and given some time it will make you lazy. The FMS is great, learn it well because remember garbage in is garbage out. I hope you guys that are coming over to the 50 can bring some ATR style with you, I was always jealous of the stories!

Scope out RJ's

Banned
Total Time
I'm still waiting for this to be somehow blamed on ALPA or the Delta pilots...

Last edited:

Stifler's Mom

MILF...MILF...MILF
Total Time
The RJ grows on you and given some time it will make you lazy. The FMS is great, learn it well because remember garbage in is garbage out.

Just wait until the FMS is deferred. You're going to be glad you flew the ATR. Green Needles!!!!!!!!!

You should see the look on the faces of some of the FOs I fly with that have never experienced flying the RJ without the FMS. ----> :confused:

The MEL should mandate an ex ATR pilot as part of the crew for those flights. ;)

Last edited:

PooPooPants

Total Time
Just wait until the FMS is deferred.
You should see the look on the faces of some of the FOs I fly with that have never experienced flying the RJ without the FMS. ----> :confused:

Probably the same look that was on my face as a Captain when my FMS was deferred. I had to go digging through my flight case to find my High/Low charts and blow off the dust. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, kinda made me feel like a real pilot again!

LowlyPropCapt

PBR For Life, and Beyond!
Total Time
8000+
I always will have a special spot in my heart for the ATR... It was my first "big" airplane (TSA in the late '90s). Gotta love an airplane where the word "wild" refers to the electrical system!

The ATR certianly eased my transistion to the airline world... Those trailing link gear made even my landings look good! Now, if I could just figure out the Dash 8!

Anyhow, good luck guys. Au Revoir Frenchie!

Tim47SIP

Serving for the USofA
Total Time

That is nothing compaired to the look on the CA's face in the 70 over 4 courners enroute to Oakland, Ca. I just drew a line on the High Alt to the arrival fix and cross checked the radial/DME and walla, majic. That is how we did it on the mil aircraft I was flying. The guy I flew with was absolutely dumbfounded as he wanted to declare an emergency. When we got into Oakland, we told the new crew that the FMF was differred and they refused to take the aircraft and cancelled the flight. Panzies!

On the ATR note, I flew 1200 in the beast and loved every minute of it. It fly's like my Cherokee Six and was just great aircraft. I had a blast with the old crews, the Flemmings:eek: , and even Joe. The 70 was fun but the ATR trips were the best.

JumpersAway

Cruise Bores Me.......
Total Time
9000++
I'm still waiting for this to be somehow blamed on ALPA or the Delta pilots...

Is Moak keeping tabs on the shrinking of Comair and the growing of a cheaper Mesaba? Just curious, since they are both wholy owneds.

CFI2766

Total Time
I had a blast with the old crews, the Flemmings:eek: , and even Joe. The 70 was fun but the ATR trips were the best.[/quote]

Flemming was my sim partner for the transition.

To the suprise of the RJ instructors, who all seemed to regard him as a living legend, he did really well. He programmed the FMS with no problems, and aced his oral and checkride. He worked his butt off, and he was a great sim partner to have. He can fly.

One more thing: The jet training guys were good. We got off to a shaky start with one of the DGS ground school guys who knew nothing about the airplane, but all of the actual ASA employees that we interacted with were great. I'm afraid that I'm not going to have realistic expectations if I ever go through training somewhere other than ASA. Both of my major training events at ASA have been quality experiences.