• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

attn spirit pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think you answered your own question. Why hire an experienced pilot who will expect hire compensation and stand strong during contract negotions. And they are more likely to use Spirit as a quick stepping stone.

I think Beetle makes a valid point. I have heard from numerous long time Spirit pilots that there was a period of time where Spirit hired pilots that had some strikes against them in their backgrounds. This presumably was done with the belief that these folks would have a longer tenure with Spirit because they may be undesirable to other airlines. I guess this is how Spirit earned the nickname of "Land of the Misfit Toys".

By hiring green pilots, management is most assuredly going to have those pilots for a minimum of 5 years, thereby reducing the training costs and staffing issues associated with attrition. If you look at where most of Spirit's attrition has come from lately, the overwhelming majority has been from relatively junior F.O.s. who have experience, options, and little invested in the company. I'm not saying I agree with the plan, but I think that these are some of the factors that management may have considered.

" The point is that Spirit could be good, but only for someone who has a huge tolerance for risk because the downside is also huge and getting bigger. "

Could you elaborate on what the perception of the risks is? Post IPO issues? Safety, especially with reference to low time new hires? Merger/buyout? Fuel cost? Business model? Which risk(s) is of major concern?

I shook the Magic 8-Ball, and it said...

"Concentrate and ask again"

So I did, and it said...

"Reply hazy, try again"

Then it said...

"Better not tell you now".

So, in summary...I'm not sure if DTW is closing, or if it is going to rain tomorrow. Probably a 30% chance for either.

Is Spirit closing detroit?

They announced on July 31st, or earlier depending on if you are buddies with someone in management, that they were going to close DTW on Oct 1 st. They came up with a plan to close it slowly displacing 30 crews, hence the name the "dirty thirty". They then displaced 10 more about a month later. Then the actually brought back 8 FO's to DTW for December. We have lost a lot of people because of this base closure and coupled with the fact that the majors are hiring. We have lost a few to ********************bus. We have lost a lot to Virgin America. I heard that February 1st they are going to close DTW for good. I actually commute and don't trip trade and work deals to get DTW trips. I will tell you that in my honest opinion that there is no way in hell people will be able to get to work if they due in fact close DTW. Every flight to FLL I am on there are people commuting as part of their line, there are FA's, IT people, Training Dept personel, and gate agents going to training.

Are they going to close DTW?
No one knows. I don't think management knows what to do. They want sat bases to get around the contract but, they can't. They ARE going to do something really bad after the holidays to try and ram perf bid and sat bases down are throats. JC will get his own way. He hates the four days off in row thing in our contract.

You will not be based in DTW as a new hire and there is not a good chance you will ever be able to hold DTW if you weren't hired here in the first three classes of 07.

I hope this helps
user_online.gif

Thanks for the reply. Very informative. The reason
I was asking is because my family and I fly spirit
all the time out of DTW and hope it doesn't close.
I work at NJA and plan on staying here for as long as they'll have me.

i get your point about the 18 month upgrade being a myth but is Spirit really hiring very low time pilots?
I thought that only happened in the regional world.
Or is that once again sarcasm!? seriously.

Latest resources

Back