• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

attn spirit pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
one of your dispatcher juan B resigned or got fired don't know.he's been working for A/T for 2 weeks.
this is the most unprofessional don'tgiveaF individual i ever have to deal with in my all carrer.
we had to plan yesterday on a possible diversation from a holding pattern.i won't post his acars answer since this is being investigated.but if that the kind of employee you guys have to deal with,i feel for you.

Current QOL is only good if you like working at 2AM. Pay is slightly below average. Total compensation is well below average. Upgrade might be 18 months, but only if the business plan doesn't change ...........and it changes often. Constructed lines, but pref bidding might come if the company is willing to buy it from us at the right price.

I enjoy working with the FO's that I get paired with; I don't enjoy:
-underpaid therefore unmotivated agents.
-a "blame someone else culture" , especially in stations ops. ie, on time performance.
-inept (contract) ground handling
-unavailable maintenance at most stations (the pilots get to pull breakers and make write ups using their own cell phone while talking to MX control)
-30 minute turns including customs clearance
-management with NO people skills
-the minority of pilots who would rather help the company than help other pilots

18 month upgrade? The last I heard, the most junior captain was hired in early '01. Has it changed that much?

18 month upgrade you would more than likely see one of two things also in the same day that happend. Bigfoot walking in front of you as you drove past two piggly wiggly's across the street from one another. I have been here almost severn years and have heard this lie from more than one management group. Seeing that they are hiring 300 and 400 hrs wonders from Riddle because this is all they can attract their business plan does not seem to be working all that great. They can not train because they can not get enough sim time or enough instructors take you pick it seems to be running down hill and neutral with the brakeman on a smoke break. It will take a while for this place to un-screw itself, but it will be a ruff ride in the mean time.

Im pretty sure they have thousands of applicants so I don't think they are hiring Riddle graduates out of necessity. I think it is out of desire. I know many people with thousands of hours who haven't gotten a call from Spirit. Would you rather hire a 5+ year disgruntled regional pilot or a bright eyed bushy tailed university graduate. Airlines in Europe/Asia/Middle East have started hiring pilots without any experience through their cadet programs.

Last edited:
Then why hire the Riddle Grad's, if they have so many willing applicants. As for the 5 year regional guy, why not they most likely have a degree and a few thousand hours. long run it makes more sense, also a 5 year Regional pilot will also stand strong when it comes time to vote on a contract. I do not think a Riddle grad would do the same in their first aviation job.

Then why hire the Riddle Grad's, if they have so many willing applicants. As for the 5 year regional guy, why not they most likely have a degree and a few thousand hours. long run it makes more sense, also a 5 year Regional pilot will also stand strong when it comes time to vote on a contract. I do not think a Riddle grad would do the same in their first aviation job.

I think you answered your own question. Why hire an experienced pilot who will expect hire compensation and stand strong during contract negotions. And they are more likely to use Spirit as a quick stepping stone.

Last edited:
Most of those you mention are leaving because of the base closure and not because there is a better deal out there. If retention is a problem then pay more money to attract those individuals just don't hire low time pilots. There is a lack of qualified pilot, just look at all the other airline they can not attract good people.

18 month upgrade you would more than likely see one of two things also in the same day that happend. Bigfoot walking in front of you as you drove past two piggly wiggly's across the street from one another. I have been here almost severn years and have heard this lie from more than one management group. Seeing that they are hiring 300 and 400 hrs wonders from Riddle because this is all they can attract their business plan does not seem to be working all that great. They can not train because they can not get enough sim time or enough instructors take you pick it seems to be running down hill and neutral with the brakeman on a smoke break. It will take a while for this place to un-screw itself, but it will be a ruff ride in the mean time.

As others on this thread have mentioned, Spirit is having no problem attracting plenty of qualified applicants. I wish that all we could attract were 300hour wonders, but it isn't so. If it were, we'd have a much easier time fighting for more money. I believe that management is looking for controllable employees and they're afraid that anyone who's been around a few blocks won't cooperate.

As for the upgrade, notice that I said "might" as I linked that to an ever changing business plan. The point is that Spirit could be good, but only for someone who has a huge tolerance for risk because the downside is also huge and getting bigger.

I'll start looking for a Piggly Wiggly and checking for Yeti's.

Latest resources

Back