Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP School Program? What are regionals/ Majors looking for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wuberoo

This is a question for those that have been through the training, why would someone choose ATP fast track program over a local flight school? And what really are regional and major carriers looking for? How do most people get their ratings for the majors (737)? And flying overseas is it a good option if you don't mind living conditions?

Thanks in advance!

This is a question for those that have been through the training, why would someone choose ATP fast track program over a local flight school? And what really are regional and major carriers looking for? How do most people get their ratings for the majors (737)? And flying overseas is it a good option if you don't mind living conditions?

Thanks in advance!

One advantage is that you'll get more multi-time. The other advantage is that you'll be able to go through your ratings quickly in a relatively structured environment. Another advantage is that you might be able to get financing through ATP for their flight training where you might not be able to get it through a local flight school. ATP might be able to hire you as a flight instructor in a multi-engine aircraft (eventually) whereas a local flight school might not have any job opportunities for you after you're done with training. ATP may have a path to a regional airline job (when/if they ever hire) whereas a local flight school will likely not have that path.

For all of the above, you'll likely pay more than if you just went through a local flight school. Figure out the cost difference and see if it's worth it to you.

This is a pretty decent website you might want to read if you're new and thinking about entering the profession.

Thanks UAL, I viewed the PBS special last night about the Buffalo flight #3407 and that was very sobering. If this is a career change at the age of 40, what other items need to be considered in this decision?

I'll take the time to give you my honest opinion on this matter. I started Pt. 141 at SIU I went about half way through my insturment rating with them when I made the jump to a local mom an pop FBO in Chicago. I don't regret my decision at all. The money I saved and the experience I gained was well worth it. My regret in this whole ordeal was not going Pt. 61 from the beginning. I went to ATP to finish up my Comm. Multi and was satisfied with the experience, but let's be honest after I was done there I had 10 hours of multi in a Seminole hardly the experience needed to fly a more complex twin let alone a jet at an airline. The real experience will come from going out there on your own and really learning by instructing or flying on your own. This is all my opinion so take it for what its worth. PT. 141 is more structured than 61, but neither one is better or worse than the other. When it boils down to it both places will teach you to pass a checkride per PTS standards. 141 will take you longer than a 61 school. ATP's fast track is literally a 7 days a week program. You cram a lot into those days, so if you can be motivated enough this will work great for you. Being that your 40 most would say adults would be more motivated to learn than a younger person, but that's up to the individual. To be completely honest if it was up to me and I had to start over again knowing what I know now I'd have chosen ATP's fast track program. You will recieve lot's of different opinions on this matter take it all in with a gran of salt don't rush into anything and really contemplate doing this as a career change.

Thanks UAL, I viewed the PBS special last night about the Buffalo flight #3407 and that was very sobering. If this is a career change at the age of 40, what other items need to be considered in this decision?

Did you read the website I linked above? I'd read that site from beginning to end. There are also some sections for career changers.
www.thetruthabouttheprofession.weebly.com

I wouldn't recommend this profession for a career changer unless you are really, really, really passionate about aviation. I don't know what you do for a living now, but hopefully you understand a few things:

1. That there is currently a huge oversupply of pilots in the industry right now instead of there only being a mere large oversupply of pilots in normal economic times.

2. There are thousands of unemployed pilots on the street right now, and it will likely be years before they are reabsorbed by the airlines. They will likely be hired before you will be.

3. Entry level jobs in this profession are of poor quality and have very low pay. I hope you have significant savings, a working spouse, or have the ability to live on $1500 per month (gross) or less for many years.

I hate to be negative, but unfortunately things for most professional pilots have been really bad over the past decade and there really is no light at the end of the tunnel. If I were you, unless things get better in the near future, I'd perhaps keep my day job and learn to fly and get your certificates and ratings on the side, slowly, paying cash as you go. If by some miracle things get better for the profession over the up and coming years, you'll have your ratings, little or no debt, and be ready for that 15 to 20K a year flight instructor job. I don't see much point on taking on 50 to 60K in debt to go through an accelerated flight program if there is no job at the other end.

Last edited:
Thanks! I am currently unemployed for the past 6 mos. and have been a business owner for the past 10yrs. finally the economy took me out. I did read that website article from top to bottom and it just smells bad for you all that have to deal w/ the crappy airline cos. I just have had a passion for flying a long time and missed out on it 20 years ago but it seemed that I would have been in the same situation 20 yrs. later anyway. Thanks again!!

Thanks! I am currently unemployed for the past 6 mos. and have been a business owner for the past 10yrs. finally the economy took me out. I did read that website article from top to bottom and it just smells bad for you all that have to deal w/ the crappy airline cos. I just have had a passion for flying a long time and missed out on it 20 years ago but it seemed that I would have been in the same situation 20 yrs. later anyway. Thanks again!!

Well, if you're coming in eyes wide open and you still want to do it, good luck to you and I hope I am wrong about the future of this profession, for all of our sakes! If you have more questions, post away or PM.

Thanks in advance!

It has been my experience that the Fast track is not the best way to go right now. I recommend that you take your time and learn how to fly instead of being force-fed aviation and how to fly a Seminole in 90 days. The airlines aren't hiring anybody with low time and even ATP's LOA's with the airlines are going to have to change with the potential FAA Part 121 FO Minimums (800 hours was the last I heard).

One advantage is that you'll get more multi-time. The other advantage is that you'll be able to go through your ratings quickly in a relatively structured environment. Another advantage is that you might be able to get financing through ATP for their flight training where you might not be able to get it through a local flight school. ATP might be able to hire you as a flight instructor in a multi-engine aircraft (eventually) whereas a local flight school might not have any job opportunities for you after you're done with training. ATP may have a path to a regional airline job (when/if they ever hire) whereas a local flight school will likely not have that path.

For all of the above, you'll likely pay more than if you just went through a local flight school. Figure out the cost difference and see if it's worth it to you.

This is a pretty decent website you might want to read if you're new and thinking about entering the profession.

good post! I did my commercial multi and ATP with allATPs and I think they do a pretty good job. I regret not starting with them from the beginning.

Is it worth it to purchase an older twin to help in getting time? Or try teaching for a long time? The problem I see with teaching for your time is that there may not be very many students left to teach!!! Is the military a viaable option or is it a huge pain to try and be picked for their flight schools? I'm not talking about fighter planes but any cargo or jet time flying period?
Thanks

Latest resources

Back