• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP at Sporty's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ATP written only stays current for a check ride with a 121 or 135 carrier depending on the written you took. Read the regs and talk to the fisdo. The Fisdo is the controling factor and the interpreter of the rule.

I have never heard of a Fisdo before. I have heard of a FSDO though. Just giving ya a hard time. I am currently employed by a 121 carrier and my written is expired. If I were to upgrade to Captain tomorrow, or next year at the 121 carrier the written would still be good for the Practical test. Now, I am employed by the same 121 carrier and say I go to the FSDO tomorrow and ask to take a checkride for the ATP, would they make me retake the written? I have spoken with a couple of DPEs today that say you can take the checkride without retaking the written, as long as I am still employed by the 121 carrier and if I can show them proof that I am still employed under part 121.

I have spoken with a couple of DPEs today that say you can take the checkride without retaking the written, as long as I am still employed by the 121 carrier

This is 100% WRONG and I'm surprised "a couple of DPEs" would have told you that.

Your expired ATP written is ONLY good for a check ride WITHIN your Part 121 carrier. If you go outside your employer for your ATP you then MUST retake your written. Period.

It does NOT matter if you are currently employed Part 121. Your expired written is NOT good for an ATP ride elsewhere.

I know because I am in the same boat. Expired written and don't want to pay for it or take it again. I'm hoping to upgrade in-house one of these years and get my ATP.

It's all in the regs.

Last edited:

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:

(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved--
(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and
(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or..... ..

"That operator's approved" training being key.

i hate freight has it correct. part 91 check rides don't apply to expired atp knowledge test. only approved 121 & 135 training courses for upgrade.

They get nothing for having you take it again....it's a CATS test that you pay for over the phone....they just have the computer

You pay CATS, CATS pays Sportys.

BTW, do you know the new CP, or the one Hal fired a few months back?

Why was this posted in the "fractionals" forum? :confused:

Latest resources

Back