• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas/Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Furloughfodder you are correct on the work month of 16 days @ PO as well as the 3 day extension. I would just like to add that the 3 day extension ONLY applies to Reserves. As a line holder you only owe them your footprint, which makes it even nicer :):)

are there any travel bennies for the family with ATLAS (ID90, travel on co A/C)? Also can you ship your stuff, to say england, on company A/C for discount or free?

As far as pay for work on involuntary off days goes, you get paid at your daily rate, plus any block hours, then there are some over-rides depending on how many days they take 125%, 150%, etc. Personally, I'd rather have the off day.

On the STN issue, I'll try to be specific about that because there was a lot of mis-information about it before I came here and everybody in my newhire class got a suprise when we got online.

There are three groups of pilots (more than that acually, but that's another whole can of worms). One group has Gateway travel and gets a positive space ticket to and from their doorstep everytime they go to or from work. The second group has a "travel bank". They get allocated a certain amount of money to use on airline tickets/hotels to cover their expenses getting to and from work. Lastly, the third group, of which you will be as a new hire, get nothing. You're on your own to jumpseat over to Europe. You can go to London (insanely expensive even without the exchange rate) and get a positive space ticket to where ever your pattern originates from, or jumpseat directly there. I personally try to avoid London.

As far as all the new hires bidding out of STN after 7 months, that's not true. A lot were able to, but not all.

All that being said, Atlas is a place of stark contrasts. Aircraft is great (400 anyway...wink wink), crews are good for the most part, hotels are great. You will see the entire world and experience a whole new type of flying. I personally prefer this to the constant up and down day in day out regional flying. On the down side, quality of life leaves a lot to be desired. If you have a family you like being around or any important outside interests which require a lot of your time, I would seriously weigh your options.

Things may get better with the Polar merger (I'm personally optimistic) or they might not. It's a crap shoot, but I guess everything is in this industry right now.

What are some of the destinations out of Stansted? Are all positions out of Stansted on the 400? What sort of housing options are available out of Stansted (I know it is BLOODY expensive regardless)? When is the Polar/Atlas full merger expected? Just curious.

I would just like to thank every one for responding to my thread. I have found out a great many things about Atlas/Polar and still think it is the place for me. Hopefully I'll see some of you there in the future although I haven't heard anyhting yet. I am not trying to bug them to much as I don't want to get on anyones bad side. If any of you Atlas/Polar guys are near the Melbourne, FL area I'd love to pick your brain more about the companies and it'll be on me. Take care and keep the good info coming.

X-FROG

I just had breakfast with a 400 driver who told me that Polar is 35 F/Os short for next months bid.....Sounds like a bunch of hiring coming up...Keep the faith and update you'r stuff on a regular basis:)

B-atch said:
I just had breakfast with a 400 driver who told me that Polar is 35 F/Os short for next months bid.....Sounds like a bunch of hiring coming up...Keep the faith and update you'r stuff on a regular basis:)

I also heard the same. The interview machine should be at cruise speed over the next few months. Also heard something about 6 to 8 EX-United 747-400's to be converted into Special Frieghters and put online. True??? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Commuting to England would be kind of tough....

But for the opportunity to fly a 747-400 I'd pretty much commute to Rigel 7 (trek-speak)

BTW, according to Airline Pilot Pay (which is now at http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/) Atlas has roughly 3 times as many a/c as Polar. Does this mean a higher likelihood of being assigned at Atlas class?

Also, how is that merger going?

Updating on a regular basis and still hopeful.

Last edited:
GogglesPisano said:
BTW, according to Airline Pilot Pay (which is now at http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/) Atlas has roughly 3 times as many a/c as Polar.

I don't think that number is correct. Maybe combined with Polar and counting the ones parked. According to Airfleets Air Atlanta, Air Atlanta Europe and Polar operate 31 active 747.

Maybe someone more familiar with the actual numbers can chime in?

Latest resources

Back