Atlas/Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes its all combined now. Make your chioce JFK (Polar) or STN (Atlas).:D

Do they have a common payscale as well? Last I looked there were two quite different scales posted on airlinepilotpay.com

Previous poster mentioned Atlas has gateway basing. What airports are considered gateways? Do you get paid for the deadhead leg from the gateway to wherever your trip actually starts?

You get gateway basing for any base OTHER than STN. If you get hired on the Atlas side and get based in STN you are on your own getting back and forth.

I have an Atlas scheduling question. I have heard that Atlas tends to assign days off even when you are out of domicile. (i.e. "Your going to sit for 3 days in Sri Lanka, we'll count that as 3 out of your 12 days off.") So, in theory, you could be on the road indefinetly. How true is this? And if it is true, how often does it happen?

Thanks

waterskipilot said:
I have an Atlas scheduling question. I have heard that Atlas tends to assign days off even when you are out of domicile. (i.e. "Your going to sit for 3 days in Sri Lanka, we'll count that as 3 out of your 12 days off.") So, in theory, you could be on the road indefinetly. How true is this? And if it is true, how often does it happen?

That's completely untrue. You may sit for 3 days somewhere but they don't count toward your off days.

However, having your off days taken away can and WILL happen. The company can take up to 4, and they excercise that right frequently. 13 days off turns in to 9, take away another day on each end to commute to and from STN or where ever you end up and you're down to 7.

Make sure you can live with it if you decide to come to Atlas.

That's completely untrue. You may sit for 3 days somewhere but they don't count toward your off days.

However, having your off days taken away can and WILL happen. The company can take up to 4, and they excercise that right frequently. 13 days off turns in to 9, take away another day on each end to commute to and from STN or where ever you end up and you're down to 7.

Make sure you can live with it if you decide to come to Atlas.

Ok, that's something I can live with. How well are you compensated on those days taken away? That would be a big quality of life issue. Thanks again.

From what I have heard, it is much better to be on the Polar side, if given the choice. They only have a 16 day work month, and can only extend you for 3 days without your permission. The awesome thing about that is, when you are extended.... you get 2 extra pay hours the first day, 4 hours the second day, and six hours the third day. This all goes above the monthly guarantee. You also get full flight hour pay for those extended days, and that also goes above guarantee. I also understand that if for some reason you are kept out more than the 3 days extra for whatever reason, you get 12 extra hours a day as long as you are out plus flight pay. In other words, IF you are extended you are WELL paid for it....and you don't have to live in STN.

I am not sure about the Atlas side and I don't really have any contacts there since I was not in the 89th. ;)

OK, next Question:
Who and at what stage of the interview process is it decided who goes to Polar(JFK) and who goes to Atlas (STN)? Also, how is the equipment type decided? The requirement blurb says "glass cockpit experience preferred" - what does that really mean?
How do most Atlas pilots commute between the US and STN and how difficult is that to do? Also, with the weak dollar and expensive European cost of living, how do the pilots find paying almost TWICE as much for everyday things - just because they happen to be based there?
These seem to be all QOL issues that may make a difference to some folks.

b757driver said:
OK, next Question:
Who and at what stage of the interview process is it decided who goes to Polar(JFK) and who goes to Atlas (STN)? Also, how is the equipment type decided? The requirement blurb says "glass cockpit experience preferred" - what does that really mean?
How do most Atlas pilots commute between the US and STN and how difficult is that to do? Also, with the weak dollar and expensive European cost of living, how do the pilots find paying almost TWICE as much for everyday things - just because they happen to be based there?
These seem to be all QOL issues that may make a difference to some folks.

I am going to leave the whole STN thing alone...since I am not very familiar with it. Maybe someone else can chime in about it.

As far as getting Atlas vs. Polar or the Classic vs. -400 ... they interview people and put them in a pool as far as I can tell. Then, they pull people out of the pool based strictly on staffing requirements. It is a total crap shoot as to what position you will be offered I have been told. It is based on where they need people at the time.

I have also heard that the last new hire group to get STN as a base was able to bid back to the states within 7 months. Can anyone verify this?

Latest resources

Back