Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

"GO AROUND"

Again?!?!?
I love telling my passengers almost every time we return to ATL "sorry for the two hour delay folks but Atlanta is in a GROUND DELAY PROGRAM.", for what reason I have no idea! WTF is up with the 2 hr+ EDCT's when the weather is VFR (BKN clouds 3500 and winds were 060@12G16) and putting windshear advisories on the ATIS for a 4 kt gust. Can somone enlighten me on what the real restriction is? I've heard the usual reasons, volume, WX, ATC, etc...but sometimes it seems to be a load of horse sh*%.

Granted, I have only been based in ATL for 10 months, but I don't remember it being as bad the prior 4 years I was flying thru on a trip from DFW.

Can't speak for ATL but I know in MSP they frequently run ground stop programs just from volume of traffic. They were commenting about it tonight on the news because they are going to open a new runway which "should" help arrivals.

The ATC guy said that peak capacity for MSP in good weather is 64 arrivals per hour. He also said there are hours where the scheduled arrivals are over 80.

Thank you again, airline management. Never a surprise that you continue to be clueless and help make things worse, not better.

Butters said:
Can't speak for ATL but I know in MSP they frequently run ground stop programs just from volume of traffic. They were commenting about it tonight on the news because they are going to open a new runway which "should" help arrivals.

The ATC guy said that peak capacity for MSP in good weather is 64 arrivals per hour. He also said there are hours where the scheduled arrivals are over 80.

Thank you again, airline management. Never a surprise that you continue to be clueless and help make things worse, not better.

Yeah, that's brilliant, ain't it? The higher you get in management, the less you have to use your brain.

GO AROUND said:
I love telling my passengers almost every time we return to ATL "sorry for the two hour delay folks but Atlanta is in a GROUND DELAY PROGRAM.", for what reason I have no idea! WTF is up with the 2 hr+ EDCT's when the weather is VFR (BKN clouds 3500 and winds were 060@12G16) and putting windshear advisories on the ATIS for a 4 kt gust. Can somone enlighten me on what the real restriction is? I've heard the usual reasons, volume, WX, ATC, etc...but sometimes it seems to be a load of horse sh*%.

Granted, I have only been based in ATL for 10 months, but I don't remember it being as bad the prior 4 years I was flying thru on a trip from DFW.

Welcome to the busiest airport in the world!

yeah, so much for depeaking. It's not just the arrivals either. Getting out of here is no easy task sometimes. On an off note....has anyone been doing the 4.0 degree descent!?!? LOL Apparently, the GO geniuses have never tried to descend at 4.0 at 250 kts on the arrival into ATL. "Candler 123, slow to 250 kts, descend to FL240, expect holding over LGC." "Roger" "Alright, power idle, full spoilers!"

Actually, the government controls the amount of concrete available! And remember what Kennedy,Karter and Kahn (the KKK) said back when they deregulated us: "Any airline can fly to any airport any time they want." So really the gov is at fault for promising one thing and not delivering at their end to allow it to happen.

IFlyFL410 said:
On an off note....has anyone been doing the 4.0 degree descent!?!?!"

almost always. Not a problem. Same with S/E taxi in AND out at all airports and not starting the APU until on the ground (never in CVG).

From what I've been told, the ATC controlers are more than a little pissed about some things (rightfully so, in my opinion) and they have decided to "work by the book", which we all know will never allow the kind of efficiency needed to make ATL "work". Can't call it a "slowdown" but thats exactly what it is.

Same thing some of our clowns do because their so pissed about no new contract. So, you think its ok for you to slow things down to prove your point but not anyone else?

I want a new contract (and rid of ALPA) just as bad as the next person but, I'm not willing to screw some innocent passenger or their family to get it. There has to be another way.

Latest resources

Back