• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATI and ABX Merging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess you missed my point about droping to Cappy pay scales. Really not that hard to figure out. Wherever or however ABX puts the 767 it really is cheaper to run than than the 727 and hauls more. Divide the 3 crew pay into the 2 crew pay our hourly wage stays the same.

I agree it is cheaper to operate. But you have to operate the aircraft so many hours to pay for itself. If you had a contract flying 300 hours a month ( just pulling numbers) it would be viable to have a 75 or 76. But if a contract is only flying 150 hours than a 75 or 76 would be sitting around to much. It wouldnt pay for itself.

Now I do stand corrected about the bax system. Their is certain lines that probably would be good for a 75 or 76. LA is one and I know office people told us that if we did put a 75 in bax than it would probably do Mexico. Again its hours of utilization. Not how much it burns or how many crewmembers are on it.

The line is how many hours it operates a month. That figures aircraft lease, maintenance, fuel and crew. The more utilization, the nicer airplane pays for itself.

I would have guessed that if a 76 was coming to toledo it would be ATI. But I dont think anyone knows what the 76s are going to do with ATI to begin with. Mybe they have committments for them overseas, in that case maybe ABX would be in TOL.

I guess you missed my point about droping to Cappy pay scales. Really not that hard to figure out. Wherever or however ABX puts the 767 it really is cheaper to run than than the 727 and hauls more. Divide the 3 crew pay into the 2 crew pay our hourly wage stays the same.
First of all you could double the entire cappy crew pay scale and the labor would still be cheaper with 3, yes 3 crewmembers. The planes are paid for, the parts are freeeeeeeee, and fuel burn is a wash compared to the 767. Long haul the 767 is more efficient. Yes it can carry alot more, but with Bax domestic loads the 767 would lose money.Short haul lighter loads, this is the perfect set up for the 727. The profit margins are mind blowing. No contest in this arena, and by the way Jh aquired the 767s over the years, but aquired 14 727s in one day. Still very viable for years to come.

First of all you could double the entire cappy crew pay scale and the labor would still be cheaper with 3, yes 3 crewmembers. The planes are paid for, the parts are freeeeeeeee, and fuel burn is a wash compared to the 767. Long haul the 767 is more efficient. Yes it can carry alot more, but with Bax domestic loads the 767 would lose money.Short haul lighter loads, this is the perfect set up for the 727. The profit margins are mind blowing. No contest in this arena, and by the way Jh aquired the 767s over the years, but aquired 14 727s in one day. Still very viable for years to come.

funny thing when oil was 140 a barrel the only directive that we received was to try to limit apu use. Bax isnt even concerned with fuel.

funny thing when oil was 140 a barrel the only directive that we received was to try to limit apu use. Bax isnt even concerned with fuel.

These are all the same arguments ABX used comparing the DC9 to the 727 parts are free aircraft are paid for etc, etc. I still do not see a market for DC9s. What aircraft are ATI and Cappy adding to their certificate and why? My guess is it will not be 727s or DC8s. Even if they are free and parts are free way to expensive to operate or UPS and Fedex would be ordering new ones. Unless you guys know more than them? If any company has a business plan (BAX) my guess it woud have some growth in the future larger more efficent aircraft makes sense. Maybe you are right maybe we will see a return from the desert of free 727s and DC8s but I am not holding my breath.

These are all the same arguments ABX used comparing the DC9 to the 727 parts are free aircraft are paid for etc, etc. I still do not see a market for DC9s. What aircraft are ATI and Cappy adding to their certificate and why? My guess is it will not be 727s or DC8s. Even if they are free and parts are free way to expensive to operate or UPS and Fedex would be ordering new ones. Unless you guys know more than them? If any company has a business plan (BAX) my guess it woud have some growth in the future larger more efficent aircraft makes sense. Maybe you are right maybe we will see a return from the desert of free 727s and DC8s but I am not holding my breath.
Yes, the 757 fits in perfect.

I agree it is cheaper to operate. But you have to operate the aircraft so many hours to pay for itself. If you had a contract flying 300 hours a month ( just pulling numbers) it would be viable to have a 75 or 76. But if a contract is only flying 150 hours than a 75 or 76 would be sitting around to much. It wouldnt pay for itself.

Now I do stand corrected about the bax system. Their is certain lines that probably would be good for a 75 or 76. LA is one and I know office people told us that if we did put a 75 in bax than it would probably do Mexico. Again its hours of utilization. Not how much it burns or how many crewmembers are on it.

The line is how many hours it operates a month. That figures aircraft lease, maintenance, fuel and crew. The more utilization, the nicer airplane pays for itself.

I would have guessed that if a 76 was coming to toledo it would be ATI. But I dont think anyone knows what the 76s are going to do with ATI to begin with. Mybe they have committments for them overseas, in that case maybe ABX would be in TOL.

ABX bases its bids on hourly operating costs. Per hour you have to figure a hell of a lot more than just aircraft payments. A 'C' on a DC8 costs around 1.5M. A 'C' check on a 767 costs around 150K. I would guess a 727 somwhere around half of that. No write off left on the DC8 or 727 so no tax savings. All this figures into the hourly cost. Also as far as payments go most of the 767s have been paid for for years.

But easy to do when ya dont need them all and swap 2 for 1.

Agreed if that was the plan. Instead it looks like the money for the aircraft "put" to DHL will be used to install cargo doors in the ones ABX is keeping. JH has said he is not in favor of buying 757s because they are too expensive.

Latest resources

Back