• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC yelled at me today....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also, ATC is responsible for your separation after you are cleared the visual, until you either land or cancel. As the above poster said, you probably just caught him in a crabby mood and he wondered WTF was going on. No big deal though.

AIM 5-5-5
http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/AIM/AIM.pdf

dhc8fo said:
...... DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG that I don't realize?

Please put my mind at ease...or tell me I am wrong and I will hit the books.

Yes, you did something wrong. I suggest you review the AIM 5-4-21:

5-4-21. Visual Approach
a. A visual approach is conducted on an IFR flight plan and authorizes a pilot to proceed visually and clear of clouds to the airport. The pilot must have either the airport or the preceding identified aircraft in sight. This approach must be authorized and controlled by the appropriate air traffic control facility. Reported weather at the airport must have a ceiling at or above 1,000 feet and visibility 3 miles or greater. ATC may authorize this type approach when it will be operationally beneficial. Visual approaches are an IFR procedure conducted under IFR in visual meteorological conditions. Cloud clearance requirements of 14 CFR Section 91.155 are not applicable, unless required by operation specifications.

b. Operating to an Airport Without Weather Reporting Service. ATC will advise the pilot when weather is not available at the destination airport. ATC may initiate a visual approach provided there is a reasonable assurance that weather at the airport is a ceiling at or above 1,000 feet and visibility 3 miles or greater (e.g. area weather reports, PIREPs, etc.).

c. Operating to an Airport With an Operating Control Tower. Aircraft may be authorized to conduct a visual approach to one runway while other aircraft are conducting IFR or VFR approaches to another parallel, intersecting, or converging runway. When operating to airports with parallel runways separated by less than 2,500 feet, the succeeding aircraft must report sighting the preceding aircraft unless standard separation is being provided by ATC. When operating to parallel runways separated by at least 2,500 feet but less than 4,300 feet, controllers will clear/vector aircraft to the final at an angle not greater than 30 degrees unless radar, vertical, or visual separation is provided during the turn-on. The purpose of the 30 degree intercept angle is to reduce the potential for overshoots of the final and to preclude side-by-side operations with one or both aircraft in a belly-up configuration during the turn-on. Once the aircraft are established within 30 degrees of final, or on the final, these operations may be conducted simultaneously. When the parallel runways are separated by 4,300 feet or more, or intersecting/converging runways are in use, ATC may authorize a visual approach after advising all aircraft involved that other aircraft are conducting operations to the other runway. This may be accomplished through use of the ATIS.

d. Separation Responsibilities. If the pilot has the airport in sight but cannot see the aircraft to be followed, ATC may clear the aircraft for a visual approach; however, ATC retains both separation and wake vortex separation responsibility. When visually following a preceding aircraft, acceptance of the visual approach clearance constitutes acceptance of pilot responsibility for maintaining a safe approach interval and adequate wake turbulence separation.

e. A visual approach is not an IAP and therefore has no missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled airports will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower. At uncontrolled airports, aircraft are expected to remain clear of clouds and complete a landing as soon as possible. If a landing cannot be accomplished, the aircraft is expected to remain clear of clouds and contact ATC as soon as possible for further clearance. Separation from other IFR aircraft will be maintained under these circumstances.
f. Visual approaches reduce pilot/controller workload and expedite traffic by shortening flight paths to the airport. It is the pilot's responsibility to advise ATC as soon as possible if a visual approach is not desired.

g. Authorization to conduct a visual approach is an IFR authorization and does not alter IFR flight plan cancellation responsibility.
[SIZE=-2]REFERENCE-[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]AIM, Canceling IFR Flight Plan, Paragraph 5-1-14.[/SIZE]
h. Radar service is automatically terminated, without advising the pilot, when the aircraft is instructed to change to advisory frequency.

You should have:
1. Reported the field in sight
2. Cancelled your IFR flight plan in the air or later on the ground
3. Intercepted the final approach course and completed a straight-in landing making the appropriate calls on unicom.
4. Advised ATC if you wanted to do anything else(like a 45 degree downwind entry or a 360 to lose altitude.)

Last edited:
Our home airport is uncontrolled. I like to cancel in the air with approach if i can decend into the airport leagally under VFR. Not only does it ease other airplanes that might be on an approach to the same airport, it allows me to get int0 the traffic flow easier. And I wont forget after I lnad then.

This reminds me of a time when I was asked by a controller if I had the 737 ahead in sight which had just been cleared for a visual approach. I told the controller that I did have the 73 in sight and I was then instructed to follow that traffic and I also was cleared for the visual approach. Well, just about the time the controller had finished getting the words out of his mouth, the preceding 73 turned away from the airport going God knows where. The controller went into a whirlwind and reprimanded the 73 for turning away from the airport...I was immeaditely told to maintain my altitude and given a heading away from the 73. Then the controller started to ask the other driver where on Gods Earth was he heading. The conversation went down hill very quickly as my Capt. and I laughed at the final thing we heard come out of the controllers mouth. I quote " I have never in all my life seen a professional pilot turn away from the airport when cleared for a visual" .

It was just too funny. Mind you, we were both about 20 miles away from landing at altitudes not greater than 7000' AGL.

There are many reasons to turn away from an airport, do a 360, or what ever you need...Just let the controllers know what your doing when its appropriate, ie..Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. You did not do anything wrong. You may have communicated better to the controller, but again your not wrong. Controllers have alot more going on then you or me when it comes to keeping things moving in harmony and at times Im sure that pressure builds on them...I know I could never be a controller. Wait a minute, they have retirement pensions dont they? Dont Sweat it !!!

firs time i loggeed on fter drinkng, f'em, seriously whip out the johnson and stick'um enough don't lrt anybody screw I MEAN scare u into anything

what's this thread about?

You are confusing VISUAL APPROACH and VFR, not the same, here's an example:

"Approach, this is Lear 123, SWA 737 and the airport in sight".

"Roger Lear 123, cleared for the VISUAL approach RW 24R, contact the tower".
Now what do you think would happen if you now decided to do something like a 360?
A VISUAL approach is in conjunction with an IFR clearance.

dhc8fo said:
DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG that I don't realize?

Yes. You were cleared for a visual approach, but you were still on an IFR flight plan-- which means the controller was still responsible for providing separation between you and other IFR aircraft. He provides that separation by anticipating where you're going to go-- which should have been direct to the airport-- and handling other aircraft accordingly. That unexpected 360 could have easily resulted in a loss of separation.

If you needed to do a 360, for whatever reason, you should have either canceled IFR first, or requested the 360 from the controller (so he could make any necessary adjustments to other IFR traffic).

For those who think I was wrong.....does this change anything because after thinking about it, I don't see where I was "wrong."

...I had already been given the frequency change and was tranmitting on the UNCONTROLLED field's unicom. I hadn't cancelled yet because it is a busy outlying field with lots of traffic and I monitor the approach freq until I am assured that I can meld into the VFR traffic at the field. Seems reasonable to me....

Coming from directly west and landing on 28 and over the field at 5,000....there is no way in hell the controlled expected me to enter a downwind and then turn to the final approach course or else I would have ended up in his C airspace al little over 10 miles away. I was moving at 260 across the ground (indicating 160 mind you) and my I need to cool my plane's turbos so I can't just chop the power and boogie on down, much to my dismay (I pay the bills and regardless, that ain't the way to do it in this plane)....

I do see where I could have cancelled earlier or told the guy about the turn, but since I was already switched I didn't think he cared....so I don't see that I did anything wrong, but in the future I will be better about informing the controller of my plans. How's that?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back