• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC yelled at me today....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that there was a non-standard pattern at this airport. If it was standard you shouldn't have been making right turns.

dhc8fo said:
For those who think I was wrong.....does this change anything because after thinking about it, I don't see where I was "wrong."

Unbelievable!

Coming from directly west and landing on 28 and over the field at 5,000....there is no way in hell the controlled expected me to enter a downwind and then turn to the final approach course or else I would have ended up in his C airspace al little over 10 miles away.

So you're saying, in effect, you can't control your aircraft well enough to complete a traffic pattern without infringing on airspace 10 miles away?

I was moving at 260 across the ground (indicating 160 mind you) and my I need to cool my plane's turbos so I can't just chop the power and boogie on down,

So, you had a 100 knot tailwind at 5000 feet AFE? Exaggerating a bit, are we? Who are you blaming for your being behind the aircraft?

so I don't see that I did anything wrong, but in the future I will be better about informing the controller of my plans. How's that?

If you ever come out of denial, how about hitting the books as you pledged to do in your opening post.

I used to fly into non-towered airports quite often when I flew corporate, and we would overfly the field and enter the downwind on a regular basis. The controller does not clear you for a visual approach to a specific runway if the airport is non towered, they simply clear you for the visual approach. You setup as to enter the traffic pattern for the runway of intended landing.

I would have just overflown the field above TPA and entered a downwind. That is the proper traffic pattern entry when landing at a non-towered airport. Chopping the power and coming straight in is hazardous in regards to other VFR aircraft that may be in the pattern that the controller is not aware of.

Last edited:
There was probably someone waiting to take off IFR or being held somewhere behind you. If possible and legal, as a courtesy to others I always cancel IFR, rather than request a visual, when I can in a situation like this, usually when I call the airport in sight. Controllers will usually say thanks and advise you of any traffic in the area. You will make friends with the other pilots also, especially the ones who can't cancel until they get on the ground because of ops spec or manual requirements.

minitour said:
LMFAO

-mini
Orlando got uppity with me today.

Orlando: adsfajgjfd;gdgljgjgg radar contact squak 1234 and ident
Orlando: Cessna 12345 did you copy?
Me: You were blocked.
Orlando: No I wasn't...blah blah blah blah...
Me: readsback whatever he said.

I really wanted to say "Yeah, you were."

dhc8fo said:
So I was about 13 minutes from my destination and still at 15,000. When I asked for lower, they descended me to 2,000. I was cleared for the visual at 5,000' over my homefield and so I made a right descending 360 degree turn to enter the 45 at traffic pattern altitude.

I had gotten the frequency change and everything, but I hadn't cancelled yet. I monitor approach when I switch to unicom so I can listen for anything weird and I hear the guy yelling at me that I am flying away from the airport and that my landing clearance is cancelled and I need to fly such-and-such heading..... HUH??? He was being a REAL tool too!

Did I do something wrong? Was I not cleared for a visual (in VMC) and cleared to switch to the unicom? Therefore, can't I do whatever the hell I want??

I switched back and told him to cancel my IFR and basically ignored his rant, but I just gotta know... DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG that I don't realize?

Please put my mind at ease...or tell me I am wrong and I will hit the books.

Ok, so you have 13 minutes to descend from 15000 to 2000. Are your planning skills that piss poor that you have to execute a 360 descending turn. Your failure to properly plan your descent lead to an unsafe maneuver and left your passengers wondering what kind of idiot is flying the airplane. 13 minutes to descend 13000 feet isn't rocket science. You sir or just an idiot and a piss poor pilot to have to resort to an unsafe 360 degree descending traffic pattern entry. Get a clue you amateur.

Last edited:
And cleared for the visual at 5,000 OVER the airport?

Did you not call the airport in sight further out? Why were you cleared when you were already on top of the airport?

Lequip said:
Ok, so you have 13 minutes to descend from 15000 to 2000. Are your planning skills that piss poor that you have to execute a 360 descending turn. Your failure to properly plan your descent lead to an unsafe maneuver and left your passengers wondering what kind of idiot is flying the airplane. 13 minutes to descend 13000 feet isn't rocket science. You sir or just an idiot and a piss poor pilot to have to resort to an unsafe 360 degree descending traffic pattern entry. Get a clue you amateur.

Take a minute and click on your username and look at all of your previous posts. Right or not, do you really expect for anyone on this site to take you seriously anymore?

Last edited:
gkrangers said:
And cleared for the visual at 5,000 OVER the airport?

Did you not call the airport in sight further out? Why were you cleared when you were already on top of the airport?

ATC isn't going to clear you for a visual approach into a non towered airport until you are clear of any potentially conflicting traffic. That includes any other arriving or departing IFR traffic to that airport that either has an approach clearance or has been released for departure. There is more to it than just getting the field in sight.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back