• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ata ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't be surprised to see us use the ATA 737-800 to fill the gates at dfw if and when we take them. just food for thought

One thing is for sure, this is not your Father's Southwest Airlines. It appears Gary Kelly is not sitting around.

Wouldn't work.

For SWA to take ATA's 73-8's and crews in a merger would require taking the FA's as well. SWA couldn't hire enough back-end crews fast enough.

Can you picture ATA FA's actually smiling, treating pax (and crew) nicely and most importantly - having to clean up the airplanes!

Talk about a culture shift.

ATA717Pilot said:
Wouldn't work.

For SWA to take ATA's 73-8's and crews in a merger would require taking the FA's as well.
Possibly not. The company wants our productivity to increase from 61 hours per month to 70. Someone mentioned that if that were to happen, we would not need to hire anymore pilots for 2005. No one mentioned what would happen if we were to acquire more airplanes than originally scheduled. That increase in productivity could staff additional airplanes.

What about the fragmentation clause? Maybe the lawyers are in IND trying to find a way around that? Maybe not. The pay concessions LOA for the 717s from this past summer, which included the fragmentation language, expires if no new planes are here in a year. Does the fragmentation clause expire then also? I can't find my copy of that LOA. I will have to do some looking for that.

I know this is getting WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY ahead of the game here, but.....

If SWA does NOT merge the crews in with the airplanes, but only grants preferential interviews, would interviews be assured? What I mean is, what if you don't meet SWA's mins? I am a 737 captain at ATA but I don't have 1000 hours PIC turbine. Would I even be given an interview in this case? Would SWA hire me without the 1000 hours PIC turbine? If not, then why even give me the preferential interview?

Found it..... sort of.....

I found my notes about the fragmentation clause, but not the actual LOA, but here is what I wrote about it.

If company transfers or disposes of aircraft or route authority which produced 30% or more of the company’s operating revenue or 30% or more of the company’s block hours over the past 12 months, the company shall require the transferee to offer employment to all members of the seniority list who are status qualified on the aircraft being transferred. This provision does NOT apply to the L-1011 fleet.

Didn't Southwest acquire another carrier 10 or 15 years ago? Was it Morris Air or something like that? Anyone know what happened to the crews there?

If company transfers or disposes of aircraft or route authority which produced 30% or more of the company’s operating revenue or 30% or more of the company’s block hours over the past 12 months, the company shall require the transferee to offer employment to all members of the seniority list who are status qualified on the aircraft being transferred. This provision does NOT apply to the L-1011 fleet

If the company sells its assests and goes out of business who are you going to sue?

I think that clause is to keep the airline from selling of peices and operating different A/C etc. and affectively circumventing the contract in place. I don't think it holds any water if the airline ceases operations. Just a guess.

SWA took the crews of Morris air. This caused (and still causes) problems within the ranks as far as SWA culture is concerned. I don't think this type of thing will happen at SWA again. Prefferential interviews, however, allows SWA to pick and choose the crews they want to hire. (people that will fit into the culture at SWA) I believe Morris Air folks were grandfathered for the type ratings etc. and I would imagine if something like this did happen the prefferential interviews would apply to everyone on property at ATA regardless of TPIC or type. Just another WAG. Seniority merger probably won't happen, but those who are succesful in the interview will be hired as "new hires" and will go on the bottom of the seniority list. (I think current capt. may be used and paid as capt. until SWA upgrades enough folks from its current ranks to fill the spots. Then the "interim capt." would revert back to F/O's in their respective seniority order. (I think that is sorta what happened with Morris)

We have enough lance captains to cover the excess aircraft, roughly 8% of the fo's are captains. The reason for this program is for times like this.

hmmmmm, A Wreck is a pretty bad @-$$ sandwich at Potbellies, doesn't cost too much either, about the same and McDonalds.

I suggest anyone going through, try one out. Potbellies is good **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**.

Latest resources

Back