Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATA closes shop - 2008 is proving to be brutal. Any predictions of the next to fall?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just heard that Sun Country just furloughed a 1/3 of their pilots.

Champion just ceased operation the other day as well. Airplanes are parked all over the country. I think frontier, skybus and sun country the next to go

Sun country usually loses airplanes every summer due to the lower demand for tropical destinations from northerners. this probably has something to do with it.

Hi.

Sorry to hear about ATA. I wanted to go there.

USA Jet is hiring, and we especially need DC-9 guys. Starting pay is $39K/year. If you have the hours, Falcon capt upgrade is about 6 months, and DC-9 capt should come down to about 2 years.

We have two bids out now for DC-9 capt, with only 6 elligible pilots.

If U want a lot of info, PM me.

cliff
GRB

PS-I also thought the Altitalia deal was done. It just fell apart this/last week, and is going to liquidation.

Alligiant is doing well. Their stock is about 26.88 higher than most or all carriers

Are you seriously comparing stock price? Did you ever take a business class? Who cares how much the stock price is when the number of shares of stock outstanding is so different. Allegiant could have 5 shares of stock outstanding.

I love listening to pilots talk about business.

Are you seriously comparing stock price? Did you ever take a business class? Who cares how much the stock price is when the number of shares of stock outstanding is so different. Allegiant could have 5 shares of stock outstanding.

I love listening to pilots talk about business.

Couldn't agree with you more. It's very hard determining value of a stock. There's one man I know of that does it far and above anyone else--Warren Buffett. Of course, he locks himself into a study and glances over prospectuses 15 hours a day. Allegiant has turned a profit since inception. It's a good Airline, but whether the stock is worth its value I have no idea!

Trojan

Don't know why Allegiant is on your "watch" list.. But Allegiant is actually growing and making profits. Sure the margins are slimmer than they could be with reasonable fuel prices, but if you're waiting to watch AAY fail, you're going to be waiting a long time. Here is a USA Today article which lists Allegiant and Southwest as the ONLY 2 US cariers that would remain in the "black" with $110 a barrell oil prices.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2008-03-24-jet-fuel-costs_N.htm?POE=click-refer

Profitible WITH gas guzzeling MD-80s. Obviously AAY management has a pretty sound plan.

Don't know why Allegiant is on your "watch" list.. But Allegiant is actually growing and making profits. Sure the margins are slimmer than they could be with reasonable fuel prices, but if you're waiting to watch AAY fail, you're going to be waiting a long time. Here is a USA Today article which lists Allegiant and Southwest as the ONLY 2 US cariers that would remain in the "black" with $110 a barrell oil prices.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2008-03-24-jet-fuel-costs_N.htm?POE=click-refer

Profitible WITH gas guzzeling MD-80s. Obviously AAY management has a pretty sound plan.

just checked out your payrates...I think management figured out how to make money at $110/bbl. don't pay the pilots...makes sense to me. and i thought it was bad at AS right now...jeeeze...

Mookie

Right.... it's terrible mookie... I've been on the property not quite 3 years, I'm a Captain flying out of my hometown. I sleep in MY OWN bed, in MY OWN house EVERY night, I get to watch my kids grow up, I'm 30 years old, I will make a little over $100,000 in '08, I drive a paid off late model German car, and work with good people who don't whine and grumble all day..

Talking strictly dollars, it would take between 8 and 10 years for me to make the same salary I make now at United, US Airways, Jet Blue, Northwest, AA, or Delta. Then approximately another 5 years to recoup the lost income. That's only IF we don't see any improvents in OUR payscale in that time (which is unlikely because we've gotten roughly 20% in the past 2 years pay raises)

That also is ONLY dollars. It doesn't include the heartburn of working among negative, beaten down legacy dudes for years and years jerking gear and missing my children grow up.

Cheers :)

Latest resources

Back