ATA 757 over-run at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

I just saw on the Fox News Channel that an ATA 757 (not sure if it was a -300 series) over-ran their landing runway--slightly. Apparently there was no major damage and nobody hurt, but they had to remove the passengers with a stairway and the authorities were all over the airplane. Those runways are short, and MDW does look like a postage stamp compared to ORD. Atleast it looked like (on TV anyway) that everything was generally OK.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Plane overshoots runway at Midway
--------------------

By John McCormick
Tribune staff reporter

September 8, 2003, 2:46 PM CDT

An ATA jet overshot a runway while landing at Midway Airport this afternoon, but no injuries were reported in the incident, authorities said.

ATA Flight 647, a twin-engine Boeing 757 jetliner inbound to Chicago from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., was landing on Runway 31C at 1:41 p.m. when it ran off the end of the runway, said FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory.

Emergency crews of the Chicago Fire Department responded.

The aircraft sustained minor damage, but no one aboard appeared to have been hurt, Cory said. It was not immediately known how many passengers and crew were aboard the flight.

The plane remained at the end of the runway this afternoon, at the northwest corner of the airport. A portable staircase was wheeled up to it, and passengers were taken off the aircraft and bused to the terminal.

Runway 31C runs diagonally across the Southwest Side airfield from the southeast to the northwest.
Copyright (c) 2003, Chicago Tribune

Midway is undeniably one of the most difficult airports out there. My hats are off to the pilots who routinely fly into MDW - especially during the arctic winter - YIKES!

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Heavy Set said:
Midway is undeniably one of the most difficult airports out there. My hats are off to the pilots who routinely fly into MDW - especially during the arctic winter - YIKES!

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Reporter in that video kinda surpirsed me. I didn't know there was a Runway 3 at Midway...

Did you catch where she said "The pilots landed long...touched down too far down the runway, and couldn't stop."

The caption on one of the photos says the airplane normally holds 120 passengers. Is that all first class or are the load factors that bad?? ;)

Just glad everyone is OK.

The brakes are awsome on that plane...even on that runway it had to be a long touch down (reversers or not).

Let's not hear from everyone who has to wear their "JR NTSB INVESTIGATOR" hat. The airline had an incident, no one was hurt, enough said. It reminds me of guys who fill ireg reports like a frickin' Harry Potter novel.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back