ATA 757 over-run at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mesa at fault for ATA Overrun...

NTSB investigators are now almost 100% sure that the Mesa Pilots group is responsable for ATA near disaster at MDW. After reading the Flightinfo.com boards, it became clear that Mesa pilots voting for a bad contract caused solar flare activity that temporarily blinded both Crew members. BTW I LOVE flying in there on a REAL windy day......

The ATA 757-300s carry more people than a Delta 767-400 (due to the large first class section on the 764). Also, I agree with the post above about the pilots shatting their pants---they probably had huge bacon strips to wash out. (I would have....) And, the autobrakes are great on the 757.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

Luckily nobody hurt! Our 757-3 holds 248. Big plane but stops well for the airport. No news yet sounds like they just landed long. There is an ongoing problem with Midway and the prevailing winds. Were often assigned runways with heavy crosswinds and tailwinds. On short final to 31C, your screen says 190/20 and tower swares its 190/5. Major problem with the Ohare traffic flow. Tower blames it on approach and vise versa. I think the 737-8 is worse landing at Midway, it has higher approach speeds, cleaner wing, less rubber for stopping, and smaller spoilers than the 75. Our 8ft winglets act like sponsons in crosswinds. You have to be on the numbers in the winter time.
Fly safe everyone!

I justt talked to a buddy of mine that works in the tower. he said that at the time there was a tailwind for 31c, however that i svery common when landing at mdw because chicago tracon does not want to mess with ord. i will try to find out more soon.

ChinaClipper, You are a friggin' moron. Lets all make a big funny joke about a situation like this. How fun. Mesa deserves you. Please stay.

I justt talked to a buddy of mine that works in the tower. he said that at the time there was a tailwind for 31c, however that i svery common when landing at mdw because chicago tracon does not want to mess with ord

Do they ever do intersecting runway operations at MDW these days (depart 22L, land 31C) to move more traffic? If not, then
I don't think they need to get into downwind landings on 31C at MDW for ORD ATC reasons. With southeast to southwest winds at MDW and resonably good weather, they usually fly the ILS 31C and break off and circle to 22L. Maybe the winds were light and variable before the ATA incident so they never switched to that configuration. The main thing they try to resist getting into is using 13C (especially when you have to do the ILS to it). That seems to be the setup that creates conflicts with ORD.

yea no sense in anyone mentioning that the captian and first officer both screwed up in not just plain going around!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a crew!!!!! and don't tell me there was no "funny feeling" about a normal landing at MDW........sheesh.

20/20, Hindsight, and all that happy hor

Hey Bob the Pilot, please don't tell me that someone with your experience has never had the pleasure of sucking a seat cushion for just a couple seconds.

Sh!t happens and you may not live in a glass house but you do sit in a very sunny room.

Kharma happens too. Fly safe, ok?:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back