• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AT ALPA high road

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder that too SWA/FO. With a family at home, I would be lying if I said Ive been sleeping well.

Well First Officer Muppet, with 4 years seniority and given the stupidity of your union, you shouldn't be sleeping well. Where you end up on the list is a moot point. It's at the bottom. Even if the arbitrator is sleeping with every F/A at your airline it won't matter. You are in grave danger of seeing a 140,000/yr flying job disappear when aircraft on your side start disappearing. We will all see how it shakes out, but if the hardball, middle finger in the face of Gary by your union BS continues, you'll be the first to go.

Well First Officer Muppet, with 4 years seniority and given the stupidity of your union, you shouldn't be sleeping well. Where you end up on the list is a moot point. It's at the bottom. Even if the arbitrator is sleeping with every F/A at your airline it won't matter. You are in grave danger of seeing a 140,000/yr flying job disappear when aircraft on your side start disappearing. We will all see how it shakes out, but if the hardball, middle finger in the face of Gary by your union BS continues, you'll be the first to go.

God, you are a wealth of information. I look forward to discussing all of this with you in person.

I wonder that too SWA/FO. With a family at home, I would be lying if I said Ive been sleeping well.

Muppets,

We on this side understand there is a human component. Will you please call your LEC and MEC and tell them to work toward a negotiated agreement with SWAPA.

Let me say, we are not affraid of arbitration, but I don't think Gary wants to go there. If this doesn't come out of negotiation, I hate to say it but it will definetly force Gary's hand. I'm not threating here, but just making some statements with regard to were I think Gary might take this deal.

Thanks for your candor.

I've had several of my AAI friends tell me the same thing. I wish the AAI MEC had chosen a different path for your members, it sounds like that is a similar wish among others at AAI now.

To accomplish a negotiated settlement vs. arbitrated (not desired by any party), SWA has reached out and asked for an extension. We know what ALPA has said but there is time between now and when AAI & SWA pilots meet in Sept for action on the part of AAI pilots to let their wishes be known and alter the course your current leaders have chosen.

SWA pilots can't make the changes necessary within AAI ALPA and some might argue there is not time nor the horsepower to overcome the internal union obstructions in making a change to the decision to not extend pilot to pilot negotiations. I hope that is not the case but your fate is in your own hands.

IMHO, AAI pilots best chance at getting a resolution/new SLI AIP (less than SL9 obviously) is to use the time between now and those dates to affect internal change at your union to get the ship back on course.

I don't wish any of the AAI pilots to have the angst they have in their lives right now....I've never been in a position of a furlough, possible job loss or a loss of seniority such as all of your members are facing. I won't insult anyone by saying I know how you feel, I don't.

My hope is that AAI pilots will join SWA as soon as possible and understand the fate of doing so lies solely in your hands at this point. Allowing an arbitrator to decide will move it out of your hands and you will no longer have 100% guarantees of the future.

The same fork in the road occurred previously when the MEC decided for the AAI pilots to not accept the AIP; please don't have buyer's remorse for the second time by not taking the offer that GK has made for an extension in hopes of finding a negotiated settlement.

ALPA is doing you a disservice IMHO, read the two different versions of how the offer to extend discussions by SWA was reported by ALPA vs. SWAPA and then SWA. If two parties report it the same way and the third doesn't, who is "spinning" the facts? If they will spin the facts over such a small issue, imagine their willingness to spin facts on bigger issues.

If you believe this is fear mongering, that is not my intent; it simply stating the case in as simple of terms as possible in hopes to return some peace to your life and to your family.

Joining the SWA team will be a life changing and positive event for you all (most I should say, some can't be made happy regardless), we can all make the airline the strongest out there but your fate is back in your own hands, don't let it slip away again.

Best of luck to both pilot groups,

Gotta reconcile the age and retirement issues.

Better AAI seniority is akin to a seniority grab 10, 15, 20 years down the road.

Even the DUMBEST arbitrator can recognize that.

I think the FNWA guys tried to use that too when comparing upcoming retirements and future upgrades resulting from those retirements. I don't think it worked. And I think that arbitration had 3 arbitrators, too.

OYS

Muppets- I'm trying to get you. First you candidly admit you're nervous about recent events, then you take that nervousness and get aggressive with Sacha. It did sound like you'd like to have words...fighting words? What is it man?

But it speaks to a larger point- the beaten dog syndrome you guys have been inflicted with. Like Pavlov's dog you guys meet any perception of aggression with greater aggression. True?

Problem is, there's no need for that here, and it won't be tolerated either- so it becomes a self fulfilled prophecy.
We all know the human component. None of us want to see family's hurt. But you can do two things with our culture, and desire to integrate you, and the profitability of the integration. You can take those things and use them as leverage to get all you can, which is what you're doing- and set an awful example for all work groups, or come in agreeably in a humble situation. You are not just acted upon- you have a responsibility in this as well-
As good a company and job as swa is- > it's worth not fighting for every inch when all of swa's history and ethic ought to tell you that won't work. I say this knowing the best outcome for us is some variant that doesn't integrate you. It's better for me, it's better for the multitude of friends I have that WANT to come in at the bottom and believe in the SWA ethic and concept, it's better for the culture and better for the bottom line as new hires are cheaper - so you're banking all that on MB untested legal language and that that option is not possible- that GK must integrate no matter how hard you push. Keeping 68% of your seniority at a company this good is not bad- and the multiple real gains are clearly very good-
I guess I don't understand the judgement.

OYS- nobody cares what you think-
It's clear you want chaos and drama in a competitor that ALPA has always hated.
I've been clear that I believe SWA haters in ALPA are trying to undermine the process and raise blood pressures and expectations on the AT side since the beginning-
Time to pick a future AT pilots. Peace, prosperity, stability, or ALPA militant, everyone's out to "screw" us tactics.
F9 guys bought into the screw job- and that lack of perspective has not worked out- it hasn't worked ever... Please do what you want, as I said - it's better for my friends and in a lot of ways if you push too hard and overplay your hand- so for the last time- ask yourself this question: can ALPA overplay your hand? If so, how and what would it look like?
Bird in hand- Luke 14:10- if you end up on the list- don't ever think or feel that you got "screwed"- you are nothing but lucky, as am I and all the other Swapa pilots.

Latest resources

Back