• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar - Point The Blame Where It Belongs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agree 100% MXer. I believe what started this whole thing was one of your guys on here criticizing our efforts, characterizing them as simply "whining", giving us advice on what we SHOULD be doing instead, and then another guy insinuating that while we "whine", 1224 "delivers". I think that's when it went south for me. But I'm willing to put it behind me. Consider it done. And thanks for your post.

Agreed.

In the 1980's I opened the Flying Tiger hub at LCK and we hired all kinds of people for the hub operation from central Ohio plus many Tigers employees moved in from Chicago, Anchorage, and other Tiger hubs. A year later, here is Fedex and the end of that.
Is this much different?

It's completely differrent. FEDEX took employees with them. UPS will not take a soul!

No its not much different. These guys are beating a dead horse. If all they want to do is ruin DHL, then go right ahead. But the ship has sailed as far as DHL ever becoming a major player in the US. Answer me this guys. Lets just say that because of immense pressure DHL decides they made the wrong decision. They grudgingly decide to continue to use ABX/ASTAR AS thier carrier, and they use the ILN hub to sort freight. Currently there market share is south of 4%. They continue to lose money buy the bucketfull. What do you really think is going to happen. Show me your plan here. Are you going to take pay cuts and fly more so that they can offer lower prices and more services(because that is the only way they are going to ever get customers back). What is your plan? You still have never answered my question about Dasburg, what is he doing to stop this? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? It sucks, that you, me and about 8000 other people are going to be out of jobs if DHL leaves. If you want to save them find alternatives to keep people employed, don't beat the dead horse.....
I will be the first to say I do not know what the alternative is. We have to start looking elsewhere, and not live in denial that everything is going to be OK.

There is certainly more meat on the political winds that apply to Wilmington than to the air force. If you read the articles and hear all this political wind, that is where the emphasis has been and as far as many are concerned the most damaging PR for DHL. Another air carrier losing jobs, not anywhere near as compelling. Sorry.
In the 1980's I opened the Flying Tiger hub at LCK and we hired all kinds of people for the hub operation from central Ohio plus many Tigers employees moved in from Chicago, Anchorage, and other Tiger hubs. A year later, here is Fedex and the end of that.
Is this much different?

No its not much different. These guys are beating a dead horse. If all they want to do is ruin DHL, then go right ahead. But the ship has sailed as far as DHL ever becoming a major player in the US. Answer me this guys. Lets just say that because of immense pressure DHL decides they made the wrong decision. They grudgingly decide to continue to use ABX/ASTAR AS thier carrier, and they use the ILN hub to sort freight. Currently there market share is south of 4%. They continue to lose money buy the bucketfull. What do you really think is going to happen. Show me your plan here. Are you going to take pay cuts and fly more so that they can offer lower prices and more services(because that is the only way they are going to ever get customers back). What is your plan? You still have never answered my question about Dasburg, what is he doing to stop this? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? It sucks, that you, me and about 8000 other people are going to be out of jobs if DHL leaves. If you want to save them find alternatives to keep people employed, don't beat the dead horse.....
I will be the first to say I do not know what the alternative is. We have to start looking elsewhere, and not live in denial that everything is going to be OK.

abxdx, you guys do have some options after DHL. We don't. It's that simple. So now, we go to war. We'll know what happens when the smoke clears. If that isn't good enough for you, then sorry.

You should be asking yourself why you do not have options. And when you get the answer, go picket that person. Why can't you work at having options?

abxdx, you guys do have some options after DHL. We don't. It's that simple. So now, we go to war. We'll know what happens when the smoke clears. If that isn't good enough for you, then sorry.

You should be asking yourself why you do not have options. And when you get the answer, go picket that person. Why can't you work at having options?

I'm wondering why you can't MYOB? We've weighed all our options, and chosen our course. You are, in your own words, "beating a dead horse".

Chimchim, where do you get the idea that we're in denial? Our owners(Daz and DHL) have told us what the options are if this deal goes through---nothing, nada, zip. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?

Why do you give a rat's a$$ what we are doing? You have made it crystal clear what you think of the Astar pilot group. Can't fly in wx, prima donas, blah, blah, blah! You, and others have being telling us since 2003.

Talk about beating a dead horse! STFU!

So why are you picketing UPS then. They are not the reason you have no options. The DAZ is.....
Instead of spending all your time trying to stop the inevitable, why don't you go to DAZ with some ideas to keep you employed.

We currently have 7 airplanes flying out of MIA. 1 out of LAX with another on the way on a temp basis, and 1 flying for ANA, it will be back to 2 in the fall. The freight is out there. Why don't you get Daz to get off his butt and get some of it. I know the DC8 is not the ideal aircraft going into the future, but you can slowly change over to something more fuel efficient.
Why are you guys hounding DOD to get more business?

Chimchim, where do you get the idea that we're in denial? Our owners(Daz and DHL) have told us what the options are if this deal goes through---nothing, nada, zip. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?

Why do you give a rat's a$$ what we are doing? You have made it crystal clear what you think of the Astar pilot group. Can't fly in wx, prima donas, blah, blah, blah! You, and others have being telling us since 2003.

Talk about beating a dead horse! STFU!

This is a public forum, and I can say whatever I want. My original post was just agreeing with what publishers and BBB were saying about you guys going after the wrong guys. If you cannot handle the truth that your management made millions and in the proccess hosed you that is your problem. I am simply trying to convey that if you want to maintain your current lifestyle for the long term, I would find alternatives for your company. If you can find ways to make money I am sure DAZ will listen. It is pretty obvious he likes the stuff..

I'm wondering why you can't MYOB? We've weighed all our options, and chosen our course. You are, in your own words, "beating a dead horse".

This is a public forum, and I can say whatever I want. My original post was just agreeing with what publishers and BBB were saying about you guys going after the wrong guys. If you cannot handle the truth that your management made millions and in the proccess hosed you that is your problem. I am simply trying to convey that if you want to maintain your current lifestyle for the long term, I would find alternatives for your company. If you can find ways to make money I am sure DAZ will listen. It is pretty obvious he likes the stuff..

Sure you can say what you want. The problem is, you don't listen to what we're saying the situation is at Astar. I'm done chatting with you dx. It's like talking to a wall.

Latest resources

Back