• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar announces new hire class in Oct.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By the way, I am sure Astar is a great company and all but the 727FE seat is the worst in the business. It is a thankless job that has ridiculous initial training *(you need to be a systems expert---a plumber). The worst part is the FO on the plane. He/she usually is more bossy than the Captain. You really do feel like a 3rd class citizen. And, you feel like Radar O'Reily from MASH calling Sparky, turning knobs to get the generators to become in synch so you can close the breakers. And, I counted 14 steps (including things you had to just look at or monitor) to turn on the darn APU. It was ridiculous. Have fun doing that for years at 2 in the morning. By the way, Delta is hiring 75 a month, and no FE postions at all.

Bye Bye--General Lee

It is still pretty easy to get 4 weeks off using one week of vacation though. Try getting that at Delta!

If you want lots of time off and good pay, and don't mind being a "plumber" for a while then apply! It is a great gig!

By the way, I am sure Astar is a great company and all but the 727FE seat is the worst in the business. It is a thankless job that has ridiculous initial training *(you need to be a systems expert---a plumber). The worst part is the FO on the plane. He/she usually is more bossy than the Captain. You really do feel like a 3rd class citizen. And, you feel like Radar O'Reily from MASH calling Sparky, turning knobs to get the generators to become in synch so you can close the breakers. And, I counted 14 steps (including things you had to just look at or monitor) to turn on the darn APU. It was ridiculous. Have fun doing that for years at 2 in the morning. By the way, Delta is hiring 75 a month, and no FE postions at all.

Bye Bye--General Lee

At 2AM everyone is in the recliners watching alcoholic TV, eating Tilapia with wild rice and fresh steamed broccoli. Our pay is not the best but the time off is good and the food is getting better. Fresh homemade soups nightly, fresh salad bar and Duncan donuts.

Then again maybe you want to schlep through the herds in your double breasted jacket eating at Mickey D's, so you can say you work at Delta.

Whatever your flavor. If I were wanting to go to an ACMI though I may hold out for ABX. A little rough now but when things work out with ANA it sounds like it will be the place to be.

I can hear the "Parker P-51's" warming up at flight schools all over the country, guys trying to bump their time up to the magical "1500 hours" so they can apply.''

And "250 hours AMEL-PIC. Preferably with a certified carrier?" Who in their right mind is going to leave a window seat at a "certified carrier" to sit side-saddle at Astar for the next 8 years?

Those "minimum requirements" don't make any sense.

I can hear the "Parker P-51's" warming up at flight schools all over the country, guys trying to bump their time up to the magical "1500 hours" so they can apply.''

And "250 hours AMEL-PIC. Preferably with a certified carrier?" Who in their right mind is going to leave a window seat at a "certified carrier" to sit side-saddle at Astar for the next 8 years?

Those "minimum requirements" don't make any sense.

Get your alarm clock fixed yet Jim?

Sounds like you got pushed around a bit. Did the FO take your lunch money as well?

Pushed around a bit? Nah. I kept it nice and hot in the cockpit when they started acting up. I always won. It was just comical watching the cocky FOs bark orders at you. I never followed them, only ones from the Captain. The FE position really suks though. Go for a window seat, the FE is a waste.

Bye Bye--General Lee

At 2AM everyone is in the recliners watching alcoholic TV, eating Tilapia with wild rice and fresh steamed broccoli. Our pay is not the best but the time off is good and the food is getting better. Fresh homemade soups nightly, fresh salad bar and Duncan donuts.

Then again maybe you want to schlep through the herds in your double breasted jacket eating at Mickey D's, so you can say you work at Delta.

Whatever your flavor. If I were wanting to go to an ACMI though I may hold out for ABX. A little rough now but when things work out with ANA it sounds like it will be the place to be.

Wow, a little hostility towards Delta. I stated Astar was probably a great company, but the FE postion stinks. Let me guess, you failed the DL psych? Yeah, I thought so. And, no Mickey D's for me, only Wendy's. Yum.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow, a little hostility towards Delta. I stated Astar was probably a great company, but the FE postion stinks. Let me guess, you failed the DL psych? Yeah, I thought so. And, no Mickey D's for me, only Wendy's. Yum.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Didn't the guy who gave the psych eval at DL blow his head off?

Yeah FE sucks but we haven't taken it in the shorts in pay and bennies. No cuts over here. Good luck "takin it back". Hold out for a window seat? Where making any money? Have fun being number 20 for takeoff and slowing to mach .76 500 miles out.

The FE position really suks though. Go for a window seat, the FE is a waste.

Bye Bye--General Lee

How about going for an airline that has NOT furloughed.......... EVER. And not because Mgt. is benevolent. Our contract (under certain conditions which have always existed) FORBIDS it.

While Crop Duster Inc. might've treated crew members poorly as the norm, we at Astar value and respect the effort our FE's give every night. Those third set of eyes at O'dark thirty are invaluable.

With Repect (for you and them), FAJ

Didn't the guy who gave the psych eval at DL blow his head off?

Yeah FE sucks but we haven't taken it in the shorts in pay and bennies. No cuts over here. Good luck "takin it back". Hold out for a window seat? Where making any money? Have fun being number 20 for takeoff and slowing to mach .76 500 miles out.

No cuts over there? Huh? What happened to CVG? Gone. What happened to the whipsaw with ABX? You are dillusional. I guess it is great for you to hold mach .80 until a 2 mile final being the only plane out there at 5am. Great. Also, being number 20 for takeoff and flying at .76 actually makes you more money. And, for your information, we didn't lose any work rules in our BK, and we also got checks for about $180,000 for our claim sale after BK. Our first year pay is better than most too, and second year is a $25 an hour jump in some cases. Sounds like your second, third, fourth, and maybe even fifth years may be sitting sideways. Regardless, sitting in the FE seat for a long period of time absolutely suks, and you will probably forget how to fly. Have fun out there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
How about going for an airline that has NOT furloughed.......... EVER. And not because Mgt. is benevolent. Our contract (under certain conditions which have always existed) FORBIDS it.

While Crop Duster Inc. might've treated crew members poorly as the norm, we at Astar value and respect the effort our FE's give every night. Those third set of eyes at O'dark thirty are invaluable.

With Repect (for you and them), FAJ

With respect for you too, we have what is called an EICAS, which pretty much takes care of the FE. It's great that your contract forbids furloughing, but remember we had a no furlough clause too and 9-11 happened. Your merge or whatever you call it with ABX has cut back on your flying and closed your main base at CVG. Things haven't been too peachy over there, and your sister ABX has furloughed. You never know what will happen, so never say never. Going to Astar and sitting in the FE seat for 4 years and then getting furloughed with no additional flight time could be a waste of time for some potential newhires. That is what I am trying to point out here. I am also giving my own personal opinion on a postion (FE) that I actually experienced.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back