• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Asian Medical Exams

NEDude

yada yada yada
Total Time
6000+
I have heard many horror stories regarding Asian medicals. Is there any place in the USA that is familiar with the standards over there - particularly China - that will do an exam? Looking at opportunities over there but it will require removing a circling limitation and possibly paying for a PC through a private company to be accepted. Would rather spend a five hundred or so bucks (if that is what it would cost) to know if I can do it before I have to spend a few thousand on a A320 PC through a sim company.

Thanks

Dumb Pilot

Total Time
I know that the Mayo clinic does exams for ANA, but for what I understand these exams are around $2,500/ applicant

Cpt. Underpants

Super Hero
Total Time
23000+
The dreaded Asian medical...

They grab you by the cajones and squeeze until you can't pronounce any "R"'s! Somehow, in the process, some ability to say the letter "T" is also lost - as in "Exip firs LEF"

The eye exam is a killer. A chart like this one is produced:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__1OzjxCtHZI/SeNoSGuasfI/AAAAAAAADh8/y2Z8DLZEd5Q/s400/eye-chart.gif

Don't do it! You'll forever regret the choice. Stay in the US. Keep your diction (unless you're General Lee - in which anything will be an improvement).

ERJdca

Stugots II
Total Time
10K+
The dreaded Asian medical...

They grab you by the cajones and squeeze until you can't pronounce any "R"'s! Somehow, in the process, some ability to say the letter "T" is also lost - as in "Exip firs LEF"

The eye exam is a killer. A chart like this one is produced:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__1OzjxCtHZI/SeNoSGuasfI/AAAAAAAADh8/y2Z8DLZEd5Q/s400/eye-chart.gif

Don't do it! You'll forever regret the choice. Stay in the US. Keep your diction (unless you're General Lee - in which anything will be an improvement).

LMAO

Have my medical next week... You in HKG?

ERJ

Trash8Mofo

Kook!
Total Time
7&7
ERJ and Capt U,

On an unrelated note, now the the Asian Economy is picking up steams again, what is the outlook for CX? thx.

Cpt. Underpants

Super Hero
Total Time
23000+
Mo
No real change to DEFO hiring.
OTOH, they HAVE started a foreign cadet hiring program. Hired on local terms, you are sponsored through flight school. The trade? The course (USD200K) bonded over 4 years. On local terms = no expat benefits. You give up about USD5 Million in benefits over a 40 year career.
They are hoping to exploit the mad/stupid/mathematics challenged sector of the flying community with this one. Needless to say the idiot masses from all over the place are clambering for this one...Ozzies, Kiwis, Japies...

skypine69

Total Time
What do you suppose the odds of keeping the DEFO pool intact? Think those of us swimming will get a call when things turn around a bit?

NEDude

yada yada yada
Total Time
6000+
I have heard many horror stories regarding Asian medicals. Is there any place in the USA that is familiar with the standards over there - particularly China - that will do an exam? Looking at opportunities over there but it will require removing a circling limitation and possibly paying for a PC through a private company to be accepted. Would rather spend a five hundred or so bucks (if that is what it would cost) to know if I can do it before I have to spend a few thousand on a A320 PC through a sim company.

Thanks

I went through the CAAC medical in China, here is a quick summary of what it entailed:

Blood draw, urinalysis, chest x-ray, ultrasound of abdomen (the check for gall/kidney stones), ECG, stress test, EEG (brain scan - for epilepsy I believe), physical dexterity test, vision test, hearing test.

I passed.

macdu

Total Time
?
why don't you PM me. I think you were in my fair city the other day(ZUUU).

milflyboy

Total Time
4000+
Pretty good chances they'll call. Possibly mid next year is my best guess.

Latest I heard was that the current business plan only calls for a 3% yearly increase, so most likely no DEFO hiring 2010 & 2011.

Numbers picked up nicely in November, so hopefully CX will change their business plan. :eek:)

uba757

Total Time
If your nurse is a really pretty Asian woman, don't forget to ask for the happy ending medical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uba757

RJP

Registered Eye-Poker
Total Time
daKINE
ERJ and Capt U,

On an unrelated note, now the the Asian Economy is picking up steams again, what is the outlook for CX? thx.

Sorry, but CX ain't lookin' for your type tough guy!