• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Voluntary Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Word is that most of those guys tried to join but ALPA demanded full back pay. Those guys told the union to get stuffed.

right sentiment but still a little biased wording..

without hijacking this thread,

1.ASA has not "always" been ALPA.
2.When ALPA came on property some of ASA's pilots were former ALPA.
3.Back dues for some of those guys would have been VERY expensive.
4.not so much "get stuffed" as simply don't have that much spare cash laying around

We've been told 'what' about February first? I keep my ear to the group and ain't heard crap. Plus, while it's true we've never furloughed, there is no doubt our staffing is precarious and if something doesn't change within a few more months, don't know how long mgmt will retain everybody if our income continues to take a hit...

One of the last memos from BS mentioned that they are working on part time pilot lines to avoid furloughs. I think that is short sighted and a bad idea, but I seem to be in the minority.

You miss understand me. If I was trying to get in and ALPA wanted $10K worth of back dues, I'd say the same thing. How is your vacation?

My bad....I honed in on the "get stuffed" part...others not familiar might not realize why and how much money ALPA wanted in back dues. It wasn't so much they didn't want to join as it was just too much money to come up with.

I spoke with DH once in depth about this. (number one guy on the seniority list) He will tell you to this day that he'd love to be a member, he just can't pay that much.

Not on Vacation....must have me confused with someone else.

My bad....I honed in on the "get stuffed" part...others not familiar might not realize why and how much money ALPA wanted in back dues. It wasn't so much they didn't want to join as it was just too much money to come up with.

I spoke with DH once in depth about this. (number one guy on the seniority list) He will tell you to this day that he'd love to be a member, he just can't pay that much.

But it's ok for those who are, and have been, members all along to pay their fair share right? Is that what you're saying? The amount would be the same for those who are members as it would for those who chose not to be members. They would just have to make up for the time they didn't pay. Only fair way.

Hoser
Roll Tide!

didn't they already? I thought I heard that somewhere

SkyWest has not yet furloughed. There has been some talk of it, but it's all been rumor--management has no current plan for furlough, and this has been reiterated several times.

However, as a SkyWester (and a pretty junior one at that), I can't help but think that remaining so overstaffed for too much longer is sort of an untenable position for the company. But then again, as everyone keeps trying to tell me, I don't have the big picture. All I know is that I have an 85 hour line for January, with one CN trip. It'll likely be the same for Feb.

Take it one bid period at a time. That's all you can do.

Last edited:
But it's ok for those who are, and have been, members all along to pay their fair share right? Is that what you're saying? The amount would be the same for those who are members as it would for those who chose not to be members. They would just have to make up for the time they didn't pay. Only fair way.

Hoser
Roll Tide!

Those non members pay the same as you and me. They refer to it as a contract maintenance fee. Someone far senior to me would have to expand on the "exact" details, but the way it was explained to me was that some pilots were not eligible to be grandfathered in when ALPA first came on the property. Therefore, some would have had to pay rather sizable "back dues".

I don't have an opinion on it either way. The purpose as it pertains to this thread was an earlier post that suggested those non-members might not be eligible for furlough protection. The contract is very clear that they do indeed enjoy such protection; even listing them by name.

BUMP

They are "grand-fathered" in and never have paid any dues, and won't. I'm referring to the very senior ones such as DH.

Hoser
Roll Tide!

Latest resources

Back