• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA to still furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is possible to negotiate keeping vacation trip touching with with PBS; just the loss of training & integration conflicts would be a financial benefit to the company. Of course it wouldn't be as big a gain for management as surrendering vacation trip touching, but any cost cuts are beneficial in today's environment.

The question one has to ask, however, is if that small concession (which has minimal negative impact on the pilot group other than lowering required staffing) worth the upside of the company being more cost competitive.

The single biggest thing with PBS is strong, well-written scheduling language covering paring construction and a definition of "min schedule".

However, a survey was taken about 2 years ago that showed a high majority of our pilots liked PBS over the old hard paper lines of years ago.

Go figure?

Yeah, maybe compared to paper bids. But ASA has been using online bidding for years.

It is NOT WORTH IT if it screws with our current vacation conflict policy.

With a little creative bidding/swapping, I had FORTY days vacation last year with only 2 weeks off scheduled. From 14 to 40!! That is huge for me!

THAT is a deal breaker for me

Yeah, maybe compared to paper bids. But ASA has been using online bidding for years.

It is NOT WORTH IT if it screws with our current vacation conflict policy.

With a little creative bidding/swapping, I had FORTY days vacation last year with only 2 weeks off scheduled. From 14 to 40!! That is huge for me!

THAT is a deal breaker for me

too funny... I'm an ASA guy... but come on... You sound like gettlefinger with the UAW talking about his union guys not giving up their pay or benefits.. then wondering why GM and chrysler are about to be TU. Do you honestly expect ASA or any airline to exist for long with this mentality?

on the other hand... i will give you the benefit of the doubt with that avatar.... nice side boob

Last edited:
I would like there to be the option...If you want to work and maximize pay then let it back-fill your vacation. Or.....just like you can now, bid to drop conflicting trips to maximize your vacation time.

In a sense you are buying more vacation time from the company but at least you have the option to do what's important for you.

I'd also like to see what we can negotiate for furlough/downgrade protection due to the implementation of PBS IF it gets voted in. Maybe time limits or seat-locks for your current position, etc...

Just curious, why did it take so long to get it acceptable at your property? I have friends at Comair and they have had it for years and claim they are still trying to fix it. My friends at Delta, who have had it for 3 years, say that PBS now has greater satisfaction among more pilots and that a majority would not want to go back to line bidding.

Is it the learning curve that causes dissatisfaction, especially in the beginning?

At first they would run a test and there would be failures, for legal rest requirements as an example. Then there was a problem for what SkyWest calls "stand-up" or as others call Continous Duty Overnights, at first the program couldn't tell them apart. The program had problems when only some of the crews were qualified on only the CRJ200 and some crews were current on all three types.

The true problem was that the vendor, AOS, didn't really have a good product. Which was all started because it was the cheapest one out. Now that SkyWest has spent plenty on getting it right, or at least good enough, I'm afraid that is what will be pushed on the ASA guys.

Not all PBS programs are the same, I've been told the product used at Northwest is very good but I don't know which brand it is?

The true problem was that the vendor, AOS, didn't really have a good product. Which was all started because it was the cheapest one out. Now that SkyWest has spent plenty on getting it right, or at least good enough, I'm afraid that is what will be pushed on the ASA guys.

But...........Unlike SKYW, ASA pilots can negotiate with the company for what we get. See, our bidding process is in our contract, so we can vote on and agree on what we use if we change said contract. You guys wouldn't know about that, though.

But...........Unlike SKYW, ASA pilots can negotiate with the company for what we get. See, our bidding process is in our contract, so we can vote on and agree on what we use if we change said contract. You guys wouldn't know about that, though.

AOS is NOT being considered. When I talked to the Captain's Rep, he said that AOS was likely one of the worst programs and it wouldn't be considered. As far as I know, the frontrunner is flightline and I know the Union has looked at Navatech as well as others. Flightline's product supposedly is the easiest to use and Virgin America is the launch customer for it. We will see how it works out!

Trojan

Last edited:
Got it, we take PBS and in turn they give us 2 to 3 more hours of sick time every month. People could just call in sick before and or after their vacation and not even worry about building back their lines. This may not work for the guys hoping to go to Delter. Joking aside shouldn't we hold off on PBS until the next contract. If we take it now what will we have to bargain with when new negotiations come up.

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT--TimeOut Please--Let's try and keep this discussion free of Union vs Nonunion Rhetoric. If we could allow some free flowing discussion regarding PBS with Skywest Pilots, we may be able to effect a Transfer of Knowledge about a very important issue that we are facing.

We all know how they got there with PBS. Yes, from all accounts, AOS is the worst system out there. However, if we can educate ourselves about PBS based on their experiences, maybe we can avoid pitfalls and get a much better system than AOS--maybe even the best system available today. With their participation, maybe we can get a system that will be adopted for them also. Bottom line--we may all benefit with a little help from our friends(both sides.)

Otherwise, he can remain ignorant and in the dark and be deficient in managing our resources.

Is there value in collaboration between the parties? ABSOLUTELY! Could we all benefit down the road? Certainly! PBS is coming to ASA--in a few months or in a year or so! It is in our best interest to get edumacated using all available resources! In that spirit, let's make it work and foster an evironment for a good exchange of ideas and information so we can make intelligent decisions at some point in the near future!

First order of business: I move that Utah should be at least a Co-National Champion in NCAAFB.

Latest resources

Back