Asa Strike Vote!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
outtahere said:
So three years for nothing! Wake up and smell the sh!t, they will continue to reinterpret the old contract until we have basicly taken consessions. Sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. Out of curiosity where do you fall on the seniorty list?
people like you have a great knack at displaying incredible imaturity....I vote with the others, you can leave at anytime. Oh and by the way....I am what is known in the airline industry as "senior" to you.

voetsek!!

Very well said propjockey. We all want a fair deal, but now, with this industry in the crapper, is not the time for a strike.

Fly Safe...

propjockey said:
Disclaimer: My knowledge about the NMB and the legalities of going on strike is limited.

That being said, I find it hard to believe the NMB would release ASA pilots for a strike with a brand new owner. Logic suggests that the previous three years of negotiations are not relevant to the current situation. After all, it certainly isn't SkyWest, Inc. that's been dragging its feet in negotiations all this time. Patience is required to see how things will evolve. The winds of change seem unusually unpredictable lately.

Skywest management could have very easily come in and told ASA managemenet to get the contracts (pilots, f/a's, and soon dispatchers) finished up in a hurry as a show of good faith. They didn't do that. They have apparantly instructed ASA management to continue with their stalling tactics. Most of this pilot group is getting pretty tired of having our current contract re-interpreted at managements whim. That coupled with 3 years of no progress is getting old. I'm not saying that I would or would not vote for a strike, but I'm about sick and tired ("and tired" always follows sick) of management gutting what we already have.

Join the club. I don't doubt anything you say. In today's adversarial environment, I would expect nothing less than stall tactics. Your situation at ASA is precisely why I'm a little concerned about a small, but militant faction beating the ALPA drum here at SkyWest. I know "you're only as strong as your MEC" ad naseum, but I don't think any kind of negative labor action is productive in the current environment. I'm convinced that ALPA membership would gain us nothing but the medical/legal protection, which I hear is quite good (maybe worth the 2% we'd have to pay for it?).

The principles taught in Getting to Yes (a book about the art of negotiation that strongly emphasizes the importance of finding a win/win scenario) should be required reading -- no -- should be surgically implanted in the minds of all management and labor groups. Sadly, not many people in this world are able to rise above petty human nature for very long. It's not surprising that greed should be one of the seven deadly sins, is it? Corporate greed and short-sighted management focused solely on quick gains for major shareholders at the expense of company longevity and employee morale has infected this country like a plague. Personally, I see no end in sight. Where is your leverage in this environment? The NWA mechanics strike went down in flames. I doubt any pilot strike would be any more effective at the present time.

please...

atrdriver said:
Skywest management could have very easily come in and told ASA managemenet to get the contracts (pilots, f/a's, and soon dispatchers) finished up in a hurry as a show of good faith. They didn't do that. They have apparantly instructed ASA management to continue with their stalling tactics. Most of this pilot group is getting pretty tired of having our current contract re-interpreted at managements whim. That coupled with 3 years of no progress is getting old. I'm not saying that I would or would not vote for a strike, but I'm about sick and tired ("and tired" always follows sick) of management gutting what we already have.

SkyWest management doesn't owe you any display of "good faith." What did you expect, them to come in and say "hey negotiators, even though we have all this other stuff going on regarding the purchase, go ahead and give the ASA pilots that contract they've been asking for real quick as a show of good faith, even though our pilots have been sitting on an expired agreement too." You're lucky you didn't get your "big contract" before you were bought, you might be going the way of Comair and who knows where those airplanes would be going. Oh yeah, welcome to the family.

skystud25 said:
SkyWest management doesn't owe you any display of "good faith." What did you expect, them to come in and say "hey negotiators, even though we have all this other stuff going on regarding the purchase, go ahead and give the ASA pilots that contract they've been asking for real quick as a show of good faith, even though our pilots have been sitting on an expired agreement too." You're lucky you didn't get your "big contract" before you were bought, you might be going the way of Comair and who knows where those airplanes would be going. Oh yeah, welcome to the family.

I believe good faith would be referred to as showing up prepared for negotiations, exchanging ideas freely, and not arguing over the placement of commas in a sentence. Also, it would be nice to not reinterpret sections of the contract that have already been TA'd.

outtahere said:
Anyone other than me think it's time?

Yes, it is time. The MEC is meeting this week to discuss this issue. Hopefully, we will take a strike vote in the very near future. I guess these
other guys/gals like being screwed over by crew scheduling and crew planning and they don't mind that the company has not been negotiating in good faith. If I was in management, I would have done the same thing. What benefit is it to them for us to have a new contract? We are still doing the same job as we were before our amendable date. With the cost of living increasing by 2% every year, we are actually taking a pay cut every year. I agree it could be worse, but it could also be better. You have got to have some faith in the process; a strike vote is just another step. It does not necessarily mean we will strike. I was hoping we would have had this ironed-out by the holidays, but it looks like it will be the spring before the ball gets rolling.

Ok I'm junior so if we strike no big whoop.
Strike goes well... Pay raise, huge quality of life change, trip rig, duty rig, commuter clause, scheduling overhaul, profit sharing, terrorism will be banished, world peace and harmony, and I will proudly proclaim to whoever is listening (skywest) that having a Union especially ALPA is the greatest thing any pilot group could do.
Strike goes poorly... ASA goes down the toilet and I apply at another regional and become Junior there.
My question is for the senior guys. The strike goes poorly for you at $70, 80, 100 bucks an hour and you are totally screwed. I'm just wondering if the senior types will strike? If they strike how many will come back if a Northwest scenario starts to unfold with Skywest pilots filling opentime?

601Pilot said:
Yes, it is time. The MEC is meeting this week to discuss this issue. Hopefully, we will take a strike vote in the very near future. I guess these
other guys/gals like being screwed over by crew scheduling and crew planning and they don't mind that the company has not been negotiating in good faith. If I was in management, I would have done the same thing. What benefit is it to them for us to have a new contract? We are still doing the same job as we were before our amendable date. With the cost of living increasing by 2% every year, we are actually taking a pay cut every year. I agree it could be worse, but it could also be better. You have got to have some faith in the process; a strike vote is just another step. It does not necessarily mean we will strike. I was hoping we would have had this ironed-out by the holidays, but it looks like it will be the spring before the ball gets rolling.

Don't talk about it, do it! Don't lower the BAR you chest thumper!

Latest resources

Back