• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Asa Strike Vote!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ASA Aviator, you should have gone to MESA! You would make an excellent stool pigeon for J.O. Perhaps you can join the CP ranks and you and Carl C. can hold hands and talk about what a great airline you work for and how great it will be to have all those lowly FO's below you so hopefully you want get integrated on year fifteen. Get a life and grow some balls!

ASA_Aviator said:
After all, if the bottom line of the company is even tighter, do you think they will be willing to offer more to us?

They're not offering anything to us, they are trying to take away what we already have.

The way for us to make money is to make our customers happy, be efficient, and be the best airline we can be. If we do that, our bottom line and our QOL will improve.

Well, you're half right. We have been making money and what has that brought us? Apathetic and unprepared company negotiators dragging their feet and consistant attacks on our current contract. Do you really think if everyone at ASA fell in line and became perfect employees that we would suddenly be treated fairly and respectfully by the company? That's a negative, Ghostrider! Management would blissfully and ignorantly continue on, just as they have for the past 3 years. The idea that treating employees with respect might pay off in the long run is a foreign a concept to management and I don't favor rewarding their incompetance by bending (over) to their will.

As far as I can tell we are not asking for anything ridiculous in a new contract. Cleaned up language and the implementation of some QOL rules (that could even save money! :eek:) are hardly revolutionary ideas but the company won't have any of it. As long as that's their position I will support whatever (legal) actions necessary to wake the company up. I don't want to strike but if that's what it will take then so be it.

ASA_Aviator said:
The way for us to make money is to make our customers happy, be efficient, and be the best airline we can be. If we do that, our bottom line and our QOL will improve. This isn't rocket science folks.A

Well by your post you must not be a "rocket scientist".

Let's see....if my paxs are happy I'm going to make more money and my QOL is going to improve? Right now I will make the same whether my pax are happy or not and my QOL will remain the same.

If the "bottom line" improves I must negotiate an increase in pay and a change to QOL issues. WE ARE TRYING TO DO THAT RIGHT NOW!

Last edited:
ASA_Aviator said:
Well, I'm against a strike, and I'm not in management. I've made my position well known that I'm against a strike because we would just be shooting our own foot. ASA is in a pretty good position in this industry. Just look around at some of our competitors, and that is apparent. Why would we want to jeopardize that by hurting our own company?Sure, there are things I want for QOL that we'll probably never get (commuting policy), but overall I'm excited to see what the future brings us. People at Comair wish they were here with our opportunities, that's for sure.Those of you suggesting we increase the costs of operation by doing two engine taxis and non-flex takeoffs need to take a deep breath and think about what that will do for you. After all, if the bottom line of the company is even tighter, do you think they will be willing to offer more to us? The way for us to make money is to make our customers happy, be efficient, and be the best airline we can be. If we do that, our bottom line and our QOL will improve. This isn't rocket science folks.A

I see what you are saying, but I hate to tell you that you are in a slim minority. If you're perfectly happy with your job and compensation, that's fine. Just don't expect all of us to feel that way.

Personally, I choose not to whore myself out just to wear a white shirt with wings and stripes, and tell chicks at the bar I'm a pilot. Maybe that works for you, I don't know. Regardless, the momentum of the ASA pilots is with us and there will be a strike here soon unless ASA management gets on the stick.

By the way, most of the detractors here aren't even ASA pilots! And with a November 2005 sign on date, you're probably a newhire. Congratulations. Now sit back and learn a few things instead of embarrasing yourself.

ifly4food said:
I'm amazed at how many posts have come out against a strike vote here.

ASA management (Brian Lebrecque) publicly admitted that they read and post to this forum. Sounds like many members of ASA management have arrived and want to scare us. Let's give them a warm welcome.

Anybody who hangs out in our crew lounge knows that a vast majority of the ASA pilots are ready, willing, and able to strike. Before long, management will believe it.

After watching the latest Kool-aid video from BL, I think he and Drew B. must
have attended the same speech class! I feel sorry for the guys down in Hawaii that have to watch the videos from Drew!

ifly4food said:
I see what you are saying, but I hate to tell you that you are in a slim minority. If you're perfectly happy with your job and compensation, that's fine. Just don't expect all of us to feel that way.

Personally, I choose not to whore myself out just to wear a white shirt with wings and stripes, and tell chicks at the bar I'm a pilot. Maybe that works for you, I don't know. Regardless, the momentum of the ASA pilots is with us and there will be a strike here soon unless ASA management gets on the stick.

By the way, most of the detractors here aren't even ASA pilots! And with a November 2005 sign on date, you're probably a newhire. Congratulations. Now sit back and learn a few things instead of embarrasing yourself.

I don't mind being in a slim minority. Hell, I would rather be in the correct minority than the ignorant majority. I'm not in this for the wings, and I'm certainly not in it for chicks. I'm in this because no other career would satisfy me, and that's after being in the corporate world for quite a while.

I don't have rose colored glasses here. I just think that a strike is the wrong option. I'm not saying that being efficient and good to our passengers alone would make QOL better, but it would show the management that we can make the company better. From that strong standpoint we could negotiate our position more effectively.

A strike will permanently damage the company, and make this fight personal. Nothing will be gained by either side, and most of us will be out of a job. How could that be a good thing? What kind of sane pilot could EVER support such a drastic and potentially job-ending action?

Besides, the decision to strike is not ours. Thankfully that responsibility rests with the negotiators at the national level.

Finally, I certainly am not embarassing myself here. The people who should be embarassed are the ones showing their lack of business sense and education.

A

(The reason for the recent sign-up is that I've been reading this site in disgust for so long, that I just couldn't keep silent any longer.)

ASA_Aviator said:
I don't mind being in a slim minority. Hell, I would rather be in the correct minority than the ignorant majority.

Are you making a theoretical statement here or are you calling the majority of you co-workers ignorant?

Just curious.

And a strike vote doesn't mean we will go on strike.

Last edited:
shamrock said:
Are you making a theoretical statement here or are you calling the majority of you co-workers ignorant?

Just curious.

And a strike vote doesn't mean we will go on strike.

No, I don't think that the majority of ASA pilots are ignorant. I don't even think many are ignorant. Just like I don't think that the majority support a strike. I think a very vocal few think they are in the majority when, in fact, they aren't. Those vocal few, are.

A

My point is that sure, things need to get better. Yes, we need to make our positions well known. I hated it when I heard Skip say that commuting is a priviledge, not a right. I hate it now when I hear Brian L. say the same thing. One of the reasons I'm in this profession is so I can live wherever I want, and be able to keep the same job. House in FL in the winter, house in NC in the summer, etc...

I just think that a strike, or even a strike vote, will just make things even more adversarial, and then no progress will be made. I am afraid that will mean I'll be a Wal-Mart greeter instead of an airline pilot...

I know I got off on the wrong foot here. I apologize for my aggressive tone. This strike thing just pisses me off. I don't think any ASA people are ignorant, just perhaps a little too hot-headed.

A

ASA_Aviator said:
No, I don't think that the majority of ASA pilots are ignorant. I don't even think many are ignorant. Just like I don't think that the majority support a strike. I think a very vocal few think they are in the majority when, in fact, they aren't. Those vocal few, are.

A

Fair enough. We can have a vote and then we'll know one way or the other.

I hope you're wrong because I certainly don't look forward to how the company will proceed in the event of a majority voting "no". IMHO the stalling of negotiations and reinterpretations of our current contract will be just the beginning.

(Added after your last post)

I just think that a strike, or even a strike vote, will just make things even more adversarial, and then no progress will be made.

And all I can say is that there's no progress being made now and there has been very little made in the past 3 years. I can't see improved performance on our part leading to any changes on the company's part and that is where we disagree.

I don't think I'm hotheaded, just fed up, and I'd say that is true for most others here. More than anything I would like to simply go to work when I need to, be left alone when I'm not there, and be treated fairly and respectfully by the company. For me that hasn't happened, and that is why I am drawn into this argument and why I am willing to vote yes.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back