Asa Strike Vote!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Phony Marconi said:
It's clear to everyone that, if the union at ASA had any power at all, they would have gotten the contract resolved within about 2 years of its amendable date.

The 4+ years of absolutely NO progress is just a clear signal from management, and an affirmation by pilots, that the union is powerless.....dead.

The threat of a "work stoppage" does not exist. Any ASA pilot with other options has, or will soon, leave ASA. Those who remain are too desperate for a job and, unlike pilots during mainline strikes, have no savings to fall back on during a strike: their families would literally starve.

Further, most regional pilots are still chasing the mirage, believing that this job is a valuable time-builder to a high-paying mainline seat, ignoring the fact that there are about 20 regional pilots for every one (1) seat at a major....most will never get a chance. A perfect pyramid scheme, upon the hopes of which a few lucky owners/CEO's are making millions.

If a strike were to miraculously materialize, the flying would instantly be shifted elsewhere. There is no longer a "struck work" concept, as regional airlines have been cleverly de-branded and intermingled since the 90's. The airline would go away and everyone, including management, would lose.

Our poker hand is incredibly weak, and plainly visible to the bosses. So they have no fear that a strike could happen. Their jobs are secure for now, since we are such a profitable component of the Delta system. And they'll go on spewing their smokescreens for another 4 years.....

BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phony Marconi
It's clear to everyone that, if the union at ASA had any power at all, they would have gotten the contract resolved within about 2 years of its amendable date.

The 4+ years of absolutely NO progress is just a clear signal from management, and an affirmation by pilots, that the union is powerless.....dead.

The threat of a "work stoppage" does not exist. Any ASA pilot with other options has, or will soon, leave ASA. Those who remain are too desperate for a job and, unlike pilots during mainline strikes, have no savings to fall back on during a strike: their families would literally starve.

Further, most regional pilots are still chasing the mirage, believing that this job is a valuable time-builder to a high-paying mainline seat, ignoring the fact that there are about 20 regional pilots for every one (1) seat at a major....most will never get a chance. A perfect pyramid scheme, upon the hopes of which a few lucky owners/CEO's are making millions.

If a strike were to miraculously materialize, the flying would instantly be shifted elsewhere. There is no longer a "struck work" concept, as regional airlines have been cleverly de-branded and intermingled since the 90's. The airline would go away and everyone, including management, would lose.

Our poker hand is incredibly weak, and plainly visible to the bosses. So they have no fear that a strike could happen. Their jobs are secure for now, since we are such a profitable component of the Delta system. And they'll go on spewing their smokescreens for another 4 years.....

So. What if we make a point. Get another job. Work at Home Depot. This is a profession and we desirve to be paid as professionals. Raise the bar. If you have to go to work for another airline be proud that you did not take it up the a$$. It will suck to start over but it is better than getting fracked into a $hitty contract that you may be stuck with for 7-8 years. Face it you may be here for a while or ASA may fall the way of ACA. I hope not. I will not sale out my brothers at ASA, Sky West or Comair with a sub-standard contract.

Stand Fast and hope for the best.
Just my two cents.

Joe,
Thanks for the support. I understand both sides of the issue. Some of the people that I fly with are very pro union and that is ok with me. I will vote no on the issue. As I said I will not cross the picket line if it were to pass.
I know a few people that feel like I do and these captains are were they want to be. I have been a fo 3.5 years, it is time to move to the left seat for me also. There is way too much fighting and bickering at this air line between mgmt and pilots. Being bought by skyworst didnt help things either.
AGAIN MY VOTE IS NO.

Your no vote will NOT help you get to the left seat any faster!

JoeMerchant said:
Rightseatjocky,
Thanks for posting your opinion. You would be amazed at how many ASA pilots agree with you. They are afraid to voice their opinions however because of people like John Pennekamp. Keep voicing your opinion, listening to both sides, and making informed independent decisions. These decisions will affect you more than they will affect me.

When will you apologize for calling MW a scab, John? Go ahead, spread more hate. Yeah, I'm just an intimidator. :confused:

RightSeat

A vote no is a vote for a strike. If the vote passes with a high%, the company will see unity in the pilot group. If it doesn't this will keep dragging on. It will pass. Show mismanagement that you will not take their $hit any more. Stand up and show your support for your brothers.

Right seat you are right about somethings--I will give you that-and I was in your class. that guy is a coward to ask who you are but can't return his...typical pilot.

Why hasn't ALPA ask for a single pilot list????
What is ALPA doing about Union BUSTING??

We know WE ARE LOOKING INTO THAT !!! we are tired of hearing that ALPA-do something

scarlet said:
Right seat you are right about somethings--I will give you that-and I was in your class. that guy is a coward to ask who you are but can't return his...typical pilot.

Why hasn't ALPA ask for a single pilot list????
What is ALPA doing about Union BUSTING??

We know WE ARE LOOKING INTO THAT !!! we are tired of hearing that ALPA-do something

For the record, he offered to tell... but don't let the facts stop you from ranting.

And now we're all waiting to hear your solution to these industry wide problems, Mr Three Year FO. Go ahead.

Again, its ok that he wouldnt tell us who he is. It really doesnt matter. He will come up to me and we will talk about it in salt lake. Again, I am not against what they stand for. I am for what I stand for. I will vote no. You all have my vote. You all know where I stand, and that is my right. As I also said, I will not cross the picket line. I will just go to sky west which is hiring 600 this year. Options are there.

rightseatjocky said:
Again, its ok that he wouldnt tell us who he is. It really doesnt matter. He will come up to me and we will talk about it in salt lake. Again, I am not against what they stand for. I am for what I stand for. I will vote no. You all have my vote. You all know where I stand, and that is my right. As I also said, I will not cross the picket line. I will just go to sky west which is hiring 600 this year. Options are there.

Are you voting no because you believe that we should accept a concessionary contract?

Or because you don't trust your elected reps to use good judgement in deciding to call a strike at some point down the road?

Not bashing, but curious as to why you vote to withhold authorization from your elected reps.

Latest resources

Back