• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Staffed Adequately??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I asked CT directly this question in RGT two weeks ago and he said absolutely none.

I had no proof, but I didnt agree with him.

I have to agree from a business standpoint that as long as we are not canceling flights and losing money from it, they are dead on.

Is it perfect for us as pilots, no.

Medeco

Called in sick a few weeks back and they canceled my flight. I looked at the reserve board and they had 1 available pilot

"The Company will not modify a regular pilot's trip for routine scheduling convenience."

WTFO? Who wrote this contract, a five year old? The same clowns who wrote PBS? The same ones you'll see in management soon, exploiting these loopholes they created?

Will someone tell me what the word routine means in this context and how this can be enforced?

Last edited:
If we are so understaffed why have I never, not once ever broken guarantee on reserve in the last 7 months?

About six months before it is used for live bidding purposes. As stated before, irrelevant at this point. I don't see the union giving any relief anytime soon on furloughs either.

What do you mean by the "Union?" Are you referring to the MEC? If furlough relief comes, it will be given only by the "Union" of entire eligble voters of the ALPA members on ASA's seniority list! If that is the "Union" that you refer, then you are correct. We voted on the contract, and we will vote on any changes to the contract! I doubt furlough relief would pass!

If we are so understaffed why have I never, not once ever broken guarantee on reserve in the last 7 months?

Because they bypass you to ensure you never break guarantee. It's in the contract. They will follow the bucket unless the next pilot on the list could possibly break guarantee with the trip, in which case they can move onto the next pilot.

Our contract looks good on the outside. But with all the loopholes, the only reason we havent been abused more is really due to management wanting to foster relations with the pilot group. It has nothing to do with the contract. The only thing the contract can do effectively is help wreckless senior do***e bags keep their jobs. No matter how many sims it takes to get a V1 cut within loose standards.

Because they bypass you to ensure you never break guarantee. It's in the contract. They will follow the bucket unless the next pilot on the list could possibly break guarantee with the trip, in which case they can move onto the next pilot.

Our contract looks good on the outside. But with all the loopholes, the only reason we havent been abused more is really due to management wanting to foster relations with the pilot group. It has nothing to do with the contract. The only thing the contract can do effectively is help wreckless senior do***e bags keep their jobs. No matter how many sims it takes to get a V1 cut within loose standards.

You aren't really saying anything in reference to why, if we're so short staffed, reserves have not broken guarantee. Of course they by pass a reserve guy to keep him under guarantee, that's how they move the whole pile up in utilization, by going to the lowest hour guy for the next assignment. We are properly staffed, it's as simple as that. IROPS always screws things up and depletes the reserve list. Nothing new there. When line values go to high 80's-low 90's and reserves break guarantee, you can complain that we're short staffed. When line holders get extended 3 times a month, we're short staffed. I haven't seen any of that yet.

As for the comment about the senior guys, what, you want them to leave so you can have a better life and become the senior d0uche? Great point. :rolleyes:

You aren't really saying anything in reference to why, if we're so short staffed, reserves have not broken guarantee. Of course they by pass a reserve guy to keep him under guarantee, that's how they move the whole pile up in utilization, by going to the lowest hour guy for the next assignment. We are properly staffed, it's as simple as that. IROPS always screws things up and depletes the reserve list. Nothing new there. When line values go to high 80's-low 90's and reserves break guarantee, you can complain that we're short staffed. When line holders get extended 3 times a month, we're short staffed. I haven't seen any of that yet.

As for the comment about the senior guys, what, you want them to leave so you can have a better life and become the senior d0uche? Great point. :rolleyes:

You couldn't have said this better. ASA pilots, make of list of the things he stated, and when you can check every item off, THEN we are understaffed.

Step one of that list, reserve utilization, can't even be checked off because hardly anyone is breaking guarantee. Many not even coming close.

I believe the red arrow issue can be fixed by putting half the seniority list on reserve and increasing lines values like they did last early last fall.

The only thing the contract can do effectively is help wreckless senior do***e bags keep their jobs. No matter how many sims it takes to get a V1 cut within loose standards.

I always though being a wreckless pilot was good thing...

Last edited:
Average line values are in the low 80's. We are not understaffed, just mismanaged.

Latest resources

Back