• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Scheduling Ready Reserve Spree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I've been a lineholder and yes I have been extended and it sucks. I'm not mad that we have ready reserve. Like you said, it is a very valuable tool. What I dislike is the way in which it is assigned which you as a lineholder don't have to deal with. It seems to have gotten a little better, but even after scott's email a few months ago explaining they would not short call for it, I got short called several times a month for it and usually after they assigned me a trip out of order and we got that issue resolved.

This is one of Brads favorites, now that he has it he will start with the rest of his favorites soon, you will soon hate him, his very competence will insure that the pilot cornholing will come fast and painfully, again I am glad he is your problem now!
PBR

Speedtape,

You are absolutely correct in that Ready Reserve is a great tool to prevent pilot extensions and improve our on time performance numbers. The problem arises when there are no restrictions or contractual language on the use of Ready Reserves. Scheduling has no limits on how many people they can have sitting RR at any one time, there was one day this month when I heard they had at least 7 crews sitting in the airport on a blue sky day.

All this could be solved with an MOU putting reasonable restraints on crew scheduling to prevent this from becoming a tool to abuse reserve pilots.

Speedtape,

You are absolutely correct in that Ready Reserve is a great tool to prevent pilot extensions and improve our on time performance numbers. The problem arises when there are no restrictions or contractual language on the use of Ready Reserves. Scheduling has no limits on how many people they can have sitting RR at any one time, there was one day this month when I heard they had at least 7 crews sitting in the airport on a blue sky day.

All this could be solved with an MOU putting reasonable restraints on crew scheduling to prevent this from becoming a tool to abuse reserve pilots.

Please answer the following in order listed:

1. What is an MOU and how does it work?
2. Is an MOU a unilateral agreement?
3. How many times were you on R.R last month?
4. How many times can R.R. be assigned in a month?
5. In any month, what is the most R.R. assignments that you have been assigned?
6. Are you paid to sit Ready Reserve?
7. How is R.R. a tool to abuse Reserves Pilots?
8. In your experience on Ready Reserve, about how many times (pct.) have you been assigned a flying assignment?

Thanks,
Looking forward to your response

Last edited:
Well, I'll respond to your questions too. Well a few of them, since I'm not a lawyer and didn't bring up an MOU. Of course you know we can be assigned it 6 times a month. Usually I get it 4 or 5 times. The most I have been assigned is 6 in a month. Yeah...I'm "paid" 4 hours credit, but usually am under 75 so it doesn't matter and E-trip only credits me 3.75, so it doesn't help me out in the bucket correctly either. Maybe they fixed the 3.75 thing-haven't had a RR where I haven't flown in a few months so I don't know. How is it a tool to abuse pilots? Well, my experience in the past was that I get it after I call them out on doing something incorrectly. This usually gave me RR til midnight on a short call. Things have gotten a little better, but I do personally know of one person that got assigned RR 5 days in a row once. As for assignments I'd say I fly about 85 percent of the time I have it and usually it ends up being a 2 or 3 day trip if I have late RR (which is often). If I have the very early one it is usually just a roundtrip or nothing at all. I know the FO's do not fly as much on RR. Also I feel that the company is not fulfilling their end of the deal with a lounge specifically for us on ready reserve. We basically have a jail cell we can't even get into in the morning because of the commuters. How many times have you had RR, speedtape?

Last edited:
SLUF, you answered more than I would have... Where to start... I'm not even going to answer the first two questions because if you goal was to talk down to me or make me look ignorant on contractual language, congratulations, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't held a union position yet. MOU, LOA, Amendment, pick a term, whatever it takes to put a few more guidelines on how scheduling can use Ready Reserves.

As far as the rest of your questions, it's obvious your goal is to make me or any reserve who doesn't like sitting Ready Reserve look like a bunch of complainers who should just be happy to have a job. Most pilots will b!itch about a 3 hour sit of airport appreciation, imagine how our pilot group would complain if everyone had to sit for 8 hours at a time. I'd like to know the answer to SLUF's question, how many times have you sat Ready Reserve? As with most contractual issues, because it only affects a small percentage of the pilots, it won't receive the same attention it would if the senior guys were being affected. I guarantee you, if everyone had to take their turn at Ready Reserve, there would be more scheduling rules in place.

All this being said, I'm fine with sitting on Ready Reserve, it serves a good purpose. The problem arises when scheduling calls in 8 crews at a time because they can and assigns RR based on the whims of the scheduler who happens to be on duty that day.

Last edited:
It sucks especially at 0600 when both lounges are filled with sleepers and the RR lounge is also filled up with commuting sleepers. Can't even watch TV

Tell your complaint to the CPs, or send an email to SH...won't get changed whining on here.

It has been told to them a long time ago and they put a sign up there. Does the sign keep people out? No.

Well, I'll respond to your questions too. Well a few of them, since I'm not a lawyer and didn't bring up an MOU. Of course you know we can be assigned it 6 times a month. Usually I get it 4 or 5 times. The most I have been assigned is 6 in a month. Yeah...I'm "paid" 4 hours credit, but usually am under 75 so it doesn't matter and E-trip only credits me 3.75, so it doesn't help me out in the bucket correctly either. Maybe they fixed the 3.75 thing-haven't had a RR where I haven't flown in a few months so I don't know. How is it a tool to abuse pilots? Well, my experience in the past was that I get it after I call them out on doing something incorrectly. This usually gave me RR til midnight on a short call. Things have gotten a little better, but I do personally know of one person that got assigned RR 5 days in a row once. As for assignments I'd say I fly about 85 percent of the time I have it and usually it ends up being a 2 or 3 day trip if I have late RR (which is often). If I have the very early one it is usually just a roundtrip or nothing at all. I know the FO's do not fly as much on RR. Also I feel that the company is not fulfilling their end of the deal with a lounge specifically for us on ready reserve. We basically have a jail cell we can't even get into in the morning because of the commuters. How many times have you had RR, speedtape?

FYI, I was on Reserve for over 2 years under the old system. I would have loved to have had the Reserve system that you have now; but, I had what I had. I am sure most of the 80 that just got furloughed would change places with both of us. We are still getting a paycheck. It's all a matter of perspective.

I am quite sure, that as long as they have had reserve pilots in this industry--it has sucked. Up until this contract, the Ready Reserve was the guy getting off his trip--sometime a 4 day trip. Pairings were built so that one more roundtrip could always be assigned. A few years ago, extensions were the norm. Most of us have been there also. Ready Reserve, in concept, is a much better alternative for the company and the rest of the pilot group than the previous practices. Sorry, that it is not pleasant for you. I have shared your pain--just in a different way in a Reserve system that was even more unpredictable and arbitrary in the way assignments were assigned.

Hopefully, you will not be on Reserve for over 2 years!

Latest resources

Back