• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA saves Delta $968,400!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll give them single engine taxi, and maybe delay starting the APU on descent if it's _really_ cold. As for the rest, I have yet to find a "fuel conservation station" that provides external air, and there's no way I'm shutting the APU down on taxi out on a 200. Even in the winter. And I hope no one else does this either!

Comair has been doing this for some time now. Look how Delta rewarded their efforts in saving fuel not only from the APU deal but from flying their aircraft at more efficient settings.

No matter how hard you guys try, Delta will be happy to take a dump on you. So if it's warm or cold out, enjoy that APU-provided air conditioning and heat.

Agreed imacdog.

As for the Delta passenger experience, one has to look no further than Delta's operation in JFK to see how much Delta cares about their customers.

On the other hand, since customers are only loyal to their wallets, perhaps this is warranted.

Why can't you just follow the procedure? That's what you're being paid for too. Every "Joe" I fly with wants to "reinvent the wheel", why?

Anyhow, carry on!

How about instead of filing us at 310 form MTY-ATL they file us at 390 when we have 13 folks and faster winds higher, like we did last month. Maybe even climb out at 250 (until TOC) at the outstations.
We saved 390 pounds in our one leg last month. Think it's a bit misguided, once again our pain for their gain.

Dont fly the 200 anymore but never had a problem starting the APU after landing. Some of my FOs were shocked that I asked them to wait until after landing. I have had several APUs fail when trying to start in flight, not sure of one that wouldnt start after landing.

Idle descents are mostly into Atlanta. Even then only a few minutes of idle. I get hot easy and I can only think of a few times I started reaching for the gasper. I have also checked with most of my flight attendents and they said they rarely noticed.

The 700 makes it easy, I'll shut one down when clear of the actives and start the APU just short of the gate if there is no power. Works well.

You just have to use a little common sense. If its hot up front, its probably hot in the back. Start it! Otherwise, start it after landing.

As far as taxiing out, if the numbers indicate BL Open, then why not shut it down when going into position. As soon as you bring the power up, you get plenty of air. Granted it might only be 30 seconds of savings, but multiply that times every departure we do a day, x a week, etc... and the savings would add up.

I know, we dont get any money out of it and we dont even pay our own fuel bill, but if this helps ASA keep our flying (or maybe gain some new), then I will do it. You just have to use some common sense.

Funny....the press release shows how much we've been able to save in the last 4 months. The problem with that statement though is the project APU nonsense only came out a couple of weeks ago.

Latest resources

Back