• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA saves Delta $968,400!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did any of the outstations get this "project APU" memo? Seems like every time we pull into the gate with the APU not running and the #1 shut down, we wait 3-4 minutes with #2 running while we wait for these people to hook up the external power. Im not sure, but it seems that we would burn more gas waiting with #2 running than if we just started the APU, shut down the engines, and then shut down the APU once the external power finally gets hooked up. I don't see how this can possibly work if the ground crew are not on the ball with the ground equipment.

Project "blow me"

Eat my hot sweaty nuts! Who gives a crap, really? We will all get an equal-size bite of the turd sandwich which we will offered the day after DAL merges with NWA and becomes the crappiest airline in the history of aviation!
Does anyone here think this really makes a rat's hairy hiney? Really?

That's what I see

Did any of the outstations get this "project APU" memo? Seems like every time we pull into the gate with the APU not running and the #1 shut down, we wait 3-4 minutes with #2 running while we wait for these people to hook up the external power. I don't see how this can possibly work if the ground crew are not on the ball with the ground equipment.

The response I get most often is, "is your APU broken?" I saw one station (TUL) that actually had their GSU all ready at the gate. If I don't see the participation of the out stations improve I will run the APU for the passenger comfort. Further, without air it is already too hot for this in a lot of our territory.

You just have to use a little common sense. If its hot up front, its probably hot in the back. Start it! Otherwise, start it after landing.

As far as taxiing out, if the numbers indicate BL Open, then why not shut it down when going into position. As soon as you bring the power up, you get plenty of air. Granted it might only be 30 seconds of savings, but multiply that times every departure we do a day, x a week, etc... and the savings would add up.

I know, we dont get any money out of it and we dont even pay our own fuel bill, but if this helps ASA keep our flying (or maybe gain some new), then I will do it. You just have to use some common sense.

Classic example of drowning in the Kool Aid. What makes you so sure ASA is going to lose our flying, other than the veiled threat? Are you aware that the contract SkyWest has with Delta makes that VERY difficult? Are you aware that our APU usage is a drop in the bucket of our profitability at ASA?

The fuel you save is going DIRECTLY into the pocket of Delta managers in the form of bonuses. So go ahead and help them out by saving the fuel.

"Good goes around", right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The fuel you save is going DIRECTLY into the pocket of Delta managers in the form of bonuses. So go ahead and help them out by saving the fuel.
Ya know, even if every red cent of the money you save by shutting the APU down whenever possible goes directly to the pockets of every overpaid manager at Delta...how about just shutting it down for the sake of a little less emission into the atmosphere? Or the sake of a little less wear and tear on the APU...making it just a bit less likely to be deferred when you need it?

Ya know, even if every red cent of the money you save by shutting the APU down whenever possible goes directly to the pockets of every overpaid manager at Delta...how about just shutting it down for the sake of a little less emission into the atmosphere?

Ha Ha, you got me with that one. Especially with my new avatar.

I know, we dont get any money out of it and we dont even pay our own fuel bill, but if this helps ASA keep our flying (or maybe gain some new), then I will do it. You just have to use some common sense.

It won't.

didnt want to point that out JP. im no tree hugger but i dont see the point in wasting gas for no reason. i am not over the top about it but there is no sense in wasting fuel.

i remember about half my fo's last summer asking me why i was helping management out last summer when i told them to se taxi. i ususally just responded with shut up and do it. lot nicer to have that fuel later if i need it.

Latest resources

Back